Engine Block Heater

Oregon_Camper

Going to have some unusually cold weather this week here in Oregon....below freezing for 3-4 days...then below freezing just at night.

I've plugged in the engine block heater.

Question...is there any reason not to just leave it on all Winter? Truck probably won't be used until Feb/March, so just wanted to get info from everyone here on just leaving it plugged in.

I'll start the truck every 2 week or so for 10 mins, just to keep fluids/seals in check. Do I need to unplug the heater if I do this?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
IMO unless the temps are going to be in the single digits or colder and your truck is outside in those temperatures and you intend to drive it, it's unnecessary to plug it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

It's a little colder here - generally in the teens, but it's already been down to around zero this month. I've got the block heater plugged in so the truck starts easily when I take it into town every other week. It's just a short trip, but keeps batteries charged and other things in shape.

If it was just below freezing and never lower, I might not bother with it. But temps can drop much lower here and by keeping it plugged in, I don't have to remember to plug in when temps drop.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I do not know if it still holds true on these newer pickups but three hours is all the longer you needed to be plugged in on the older ones. I have a separate circuit in my s&b to a 30 amp heavy duty timer. It comes on for 3 hours each morning unless I am not going to drive it. If you are not going to drive it there is no need to plug it in.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

sengli

Have you looked at the reviews on those thermostatically controlled outlets? Most everyone that posted, at the amazon site.... said they had failures on multiple units and sent them back. Great idea, but it sounds like they arent made very well, and are unreliable. I think plugging in the heater is a good thing, for many reasons. Biggest thing is any engine cold start is pretty hard on alot of parts, so having warmed slighty couldnt hurt.

Oregon_Camper

Have you looked at the reviews on those thermostatically controlled outlets? Most everyone that posted, at the amazon site.... said they had failures on multiple units and sent them back. Great idea, but it sounds like they arent made very well, and are unreliable. I think plugging in the heater is a good thing, for many reasons. Biggest thing is any engine cold start is pretty hard on alot of parts, so having warmed slighty couldnt hurt.

Yep...I read the reviews after posting here last night. I did not purchase one, based on the bad feedback. I'm thinking I'll just leave the truck plugged in while the temps are low....then once we pop out of this and go back to typical PNW winter weather (56-40....rain) then I'll just unplug from outlet in garage. I'll leave cord attached to truck (in driveway) in case we get another cold snap.

Geodude

I only use the block heater on my 2011 F-350 for 2-3 hours before I drive it and only if the overnight temps are -20C or below (sorry, don't know what that is in F). I have a heavy duty timer that turns it on before heading out. Well, back when I was commuting. Above -20C the truck starts fine. At just below freezing I can't see the need to run the block heater but if you do, there's no problem running the truck with the block heater plugged in. Of course a common issue is that people sometimes drive away with the vehicle still plugged in.

For sitting long term I'd suggest using a battery tender to keep the battery topped up and forget plugging in the block heater.

Bones

I use a house hold timer. I set it to come on 3 hours before I wake up and turn off just before I leave. If I remember correctly the heater only draws 6 amps

Power247

I use a house hold timer. I set it to come on 3 hours before I wake up and turn off just before I leave. If I remember correctly the heater only draws 6 amps
I do the same. Works great on those cold mornings

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Jim.Allison

While the block heater is good for quick starts and good flowing lubrication, one must remember that the type of oil being used is probably most important. With extreme temps the oil can be thick enough to crush the oil filter, albeit not likely. If you are running the block heater you should also be running the full syn, and proper fuel additives available from the OEM.

Reading this thread, I would pontificate that 1) oil viscosity 2) battery tender/charger 3) proper fuel and additives 4) block heater. In order of importance for cold start on a modern diesel. Obviously the block heater would move to the #1 position in extreme cold weather where batteries are weak, and the fuel is reluctant to fire. I would assume that the region would have the proper fuel, and the owner would be running the full synthetic. I might even consider heating pads for the batts in that situation.

Bones

While the block heater is good for quick starts and good flowing lubrication, one must remember that the type of oil being used is probably most important. With extreme temps the oil can be thick enough to crush the oil filter, albeit not likely. If you are running the block heater you should also be running the full syn, and proper fuel additives available from the OEM.

Reading this thread, I would pontificate that 1) oil viscosity 2) battery tender/charger 3) proper fuel and additives 4) block heater. In order of importance for cold start on a modern diesel. Obviously the block heater would move to the #1 position in extreme cold weather where batteries are weak, and the fuel is reluctant to fire. I would assume that the region would have the proper fuel, and the owner would be running the full synthetic. I might even consider heating pads for the batts in that situation.

over here I've been hitting the single digits for the last few mornings. My batteries are AGM from the factory so that helps. The only thing I don't do in your comments is add anything extra to the fuel. I think the worst thing we have is the fact we keep getting cold for awhile then we warm up again. They are talking about temps back in the 50's sunday.

Jim.Allison

over here I've been hitting the single digits for the last few mornings. My batteries are AGM from the factory so that helps. The only thing I don't do in your comments is add anything extra to the fuel. I think the worst thing we have is the fact we keep getting cold for awhile then we warm up again. They are talking about temps back in the 50's sunday.

Sounds like the block heater is all you need, if it runs good and has good compression then your batts don't have to work as hard, and with the heater your oil will be OK. Being from San Antonio, I'm certainly no expert on teh subject, my comments come from what I'm collecting from others. It's pure supposition on my behalf. I think it was about 25 years ago we had 10 days where the high was 10 degrees. LOL. Oh, and I think I was at the deer lease once with an Isuzu diesel PUP that would not start on a freezing cold morning. It finally did start after about 15 minutes, but I think that my glow plugs were faulty.

porthole

Retired
Going to have some unusually cold weather this week here in Oregon....below freezing for 3-4 days...then below freezing just at night.
I've plugged in the engine block heater.
Question...is there any reason not to just leave it on all Winter? Truck probably won't be used until Feb/March, so just wanted to get info from everyone here on just leaving it plugged in.
I'll start the truck every 2 week or so for 10 mins, just to keep fluids/seals in check. Do I need to unplug the heater if I do this?

Reason not to? $$$$ for the electric.

If my truck were to sit like that the only thing I would is add a battery tender. Cold and low charge will damage a battery. And keep in mind, as the temp drops, so does the battery voltage.

Maybe I would start it once a month and take it for a ride. Running it for 10 minutes every two weeks will only make you feel good and not really help the truck.
FWIIW, when I was in the new car field, the standard we used to consider an automatic transmission fully warmed up was 10 miles of highway driving.

I have used this timer for the last two winters with good results. Works with various modes including a minimum temp 'on' setting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QFZ3Z0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

porthole

Retired
run the block heater but if you do, there's no problem running the truck with the block heater plugged in.

I don't know if these puny 600-800 block heaters are susceptible to burn out, but why take a chance ?

I had 1500 watt heaters on my 6-71 Detroits (boat) and if you started those engines with the heaters turned on they would burn out in a few seconds. The heaters were not designed to have a flow of liquid over them.

I don't take a chance and unplug the truck before I start it.

On the boat when the heaters burned out they were an easy change, didn't have antifreeze to deal with. On the trucks, not so easy.

Oregon_Camper

As I don't drive this daily (more like 1x per month..??) I have decided to leave the cord attached to the truck all the times and IF the weather is forecast to drop below 32 for more than a few hours overnight, I'll plugged it back into power from inside garage.

Thanks to everyone for your input...very much appreciate all the advise.