Enough truck?

wrehfield

Thanks, guys, for all the advice and help. If I could afford a new Dodge, I wouldn't
have been asking for advice, I'd have anew dually. I totally agree that the 2003 Dodge
Ram has no hold back power. My next pickup will have a manual tranny so I can add
an exhaust brake. I checked in to a chip, but on the advice of my diesel mechanic, who
drives a Dodge diesel did not get one. I will have a different pick up or a medium duty
truck before I go to Mexico in January.

SNOKING

That simply isn't true. The OP wanted learn about a tow vehicle for a trailer he is buying and a link to 5th wheel street was provided. Everything anybody wanted to learn about towing safely can be learned there. Thanks again to David Gray for all the leg work putting it together.

OP owns a 2003 SRW RAM 3500 and is buying a 3580RL. Then says "Am I looking at a dually?" Meaning he is asked do I have to buy a dually to tow the trailer his wants to buy.

The newest generation SRW 3500 will tow it, the 2003 will most likely be over weight on the rear axle and most likely over the GVWR and GCWR of a 2003 3500 SRW RAM.

So what is not true?????

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thanks, guys, for all the advice and help. If I could afford a new Dodge, I wouldn't
have been asking for advice, I'd have anew dually. I totally agree that the 2003 Dodge
Ram has no hold back power. My next pickup will have a manual tranny so I can add
an exhaust brake. I checked in to a chip, but on the advice of my diesel mechanic, who
drives a Dodge diesel did not get one. I will have a different pick up or a medium duty
truck before I go to Mexico in January.

While I love driving a stick . . .

I despise pulling and backing a trailer with a stick.

alexb2000

Something to keep in mind when looking at a 2003 Dodge. The 6 speed (G56) had a HO motor that was NOT available with any other transmission for that year. The 6spd has a 305HP/600Ft. Lb. engine that is one of the best ever produced since it has no EGR or Cat. The 5 speeds and autos were 235 HP for 2003. They are a little louder at idle than other common rail 5.9's because they have a 2 event injection cycle vs. 3 in the later versions. The resale value of a 2003 6spd. is always much higher than similar trucks because of this.

Also you can get a true exhaust brake on the 6spd. they were even offered as a dealer installed option. The automatic versions and the VGT turbo versions are not nearly as powerful IMO.

Excellent choice for fuel economy and power IMO.

jimtoo

HI alexb2000,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of info and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you have questions, just ask and someone will help.

Jim M

alexb2000

Jim-

I joined looking for information on a Torque 270HG, which we just purchased. The information here was already very useful for pre-purchase as I'm sure it will be as an owner.

Thanks for the welcome-

Alex