EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: MD, Berlin - 9/9/2011 to 9/11/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselsweetheart

Good thing we canceled when we did....at least I'll get my deposit back....we are so flooded up here there is no way we'd get the BH out of the yard...we've had about 5 inches of rain so far and more coming...they say we're going to have heavy rain until tomorrow afternoon. The Susquehanna River will spill and so are the creeks and streams...roads are closed, schools dismissing early...I'm sure I won't be working tomorrow...my college is right in the flood plain...

Gotta stay and protect the homestead!!

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
Good thing we canceled when we did....at least I'll get my deposit back....we are so flooded up here there is no way we'd get the BH out of the yard...we've had about 5 inches of rain so far and more coming...they say we're going to have heavy rain until tomorrow afternoon. The Susquehanna River will spill and so are the creeks and streams...roads are closed, schools dismissing early...I'm sure I won't be working tomorrow...my college is right in the flood plain...

Gotta stay and protect the homestead!!

Been watching the weather maps and it looks like all this rain is going to miss Ocean City---for which we are very happy. We will be heading out tomorrow a.m. See everyone soon. Safe travels

mrmagoo

:( Mike and Ann,

I am SICK of rain.... We are in a state of emergency, and as I believe Greg and Beth have told you, there is no way out of here... Most major highways and roads are closed due to flooding and it isn't expected to crest here until late tonight or tomorrow -- and sadly the water here is headed south. They are still evacuating people around here... although we are not in danger of being evacuated.

We were looking so forward to this Rally... but due to mother nature, there appears to be no way for us to attend. We will call the CG today to explain the situation and cancel...

Please give us an address and we will send you a check for the shirts... We will get them next time we see you..

Have I mentioned that I am sick of rain?!?

Enjoy your rally and the crabs... (you'll have to give me that lesson on how to eat crabs next time)

dieselsweetheart

Anyone coming down from the northeast is going to be affected by the Susquehanna. And she isn't pretty right now...and gonna get a whole lot uglier by Saturday. You are wise to stay put!

jbeletti

So sorry for all the folks that can't make it to this rally. We certainly understand. Please be safe and we'll see you at the next one.

Here's what Nancy and I have been up to:

We are on day two in the Berlin/Ocean City, MD area. Weather has been real nice.

This morning, we took Ruby and Emme for a walk on the Dog Beach here at Castaways today - they loved the water. Emme could have stayed forever :)

This afternoon, Nancy and I went into Ocean City. Had some pizza at Tony's - then spent some time walking the boardwalk. Grabbed some Italian Ice at one of the ice cream shops and brought home some caramel popcorn with peanuts from a local shop known for this stuff. Have not tried it yet.

Tonight, we chatted with many of the attendees that arrived today, then Nancy announced she wanted to go out for seafood, so we rounded up 4 other couples and we all hit Phillips Crab House in Ocean City for dinner. Nice time.

It got really humid and foggy here tonight. Running the AC to keep interior humidity levels down.

Jim

jbeletti

JB how is Nancy's ankle? All better???

Cheryl - thanks for asking. She is doing MUCH better. No more wheel chair. Down to 2 types of walkers, a crutch and a cane. She does not use the walkers much. Uses a single crutch most of the time. So huge progress. And she is bearing a large amount of weight on her bad leg now.

jbeletti

Like Garlic Bread - want a camp recipe for it?

Try this recipe at camp if you like garlic bread and want to make it outdoors.

Recipe Link.

Jim

cjhicks

Just returned home from the Maryland Rally and wanted to say thanks to Mike and Ann for a Great Rally, the Campground was First Class !! along with the weather. We hope that everyone enjoyed the Crab Feast and we will see you in New York.:cool::cool:

cableman

We also made it back safely. Long ride, but well worth the trip. Thanks to Mike and ann for a wonderful rally and a great crab feast. Nice to see old friends and to meet new ones.

jbeletti

Well, today is Monday. We've been here for over 5 days and we had a blast. The weather was great, the setting was great, the campground was great and the rally was excellent. In what I believe was a rally first, we had a huge crab feast on Saturday night. It was quite the experience for us first-time crabbers :)

Nancy and I had fun on the Ocean City Boardwalk. One day we rented a pedal bike to cover more ground on the board walk and get some exercise and therapy on Nancy's ankle. One day we went to Assateague Island and saw the Ponies. Another day we went to downtown Berlin to visit a bunch of antique shops.

Great food, great friends. Thanks Mike and Ann and all who helped you guys put on a great rally. We're glad we made the trip.

Heading out by 11 am today towards Hershey with a few others in tow on our way to the Hershey RV Show.

Jim

chkwgn

Chuck and I made it home safely also. Big thanks to Mike and Ann and all their helpers for a fabulous rally. Castaways is now our favorite campground. Everything was perfect; the weather, the campground, the food, and mostly the friends. Oh and one of us really enjoyed those crabs.

gschaaf

Fran and I made it home with no incidents just want to say thanks to Ann and Mike for showing us such a great time. We are always happy to see all our friends and meet some new ones also. The campground was beautiful and plan on going back again. The crabs were excellant and the beer was cold can't get any better than that. We'll be in lancaster this coming weekend and maybe we'll see ya at the show if not I'll see ya in NY. I'm in to drinking wine also. Happy trails!!!

Fran and Glenn

PS Oh Ann tell Russell I still like boiled crabs it's a Jersey thing Ha!Ha!

Mike & Carol

We are home......we had a blast..great food....great new friends....beautiful location....what more could you want. Mike and Ann, you did a fabulous job!!! See you in Bath.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
We also made it home safely today. The rally was great, thank you Ann and Mike for all your work and coordinating a memorable event. The only down side, ... packing up and leaving. We will see you down the road at another Heartland rally hopefully real soon, so rally on and RALLY-HO.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
We would like to thank everyone for helping to make this rally so much fun. We had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed being with our Heartland family again. We are thrilled that everyone enjoyed the crabs as we Marylanders know a trip to the Eastern Shore would not be complete without the crab experience. It is sad looking around the campground today and seeing all the empty sites. That being said, we wish everyone a safe return trip and we look forward to seeing you soon. Until then travel safe!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We have moved on to our next stop but just have to say Ann & Mike, you did a great job on your first Maryland Rally. Castaway's is a first class facility and we surely will be back! Although I don't eat crabs I'll thank those who did for drawing the flies away from my plate! Great rally, great weather, great fun and great friends! Here are some shots of the Heartland Water olympics on the bay! :D;):cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3161.JPG
    IMG_3161.JPG
    529 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3164.JPG
    IMG_3164.JPG
    500.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3176.JPG
    IMG_3176.JPG
    465.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3179.JPG
    IMG_3179.JPG
    459.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3181.JPG
    IMG_3181.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3191.JPG
    IMG_3191.JPG
    428.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3199.JPG
    IMG_3199.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3204.JPG
    IMG_3204.JPG
    482.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3265.JPG
    IMG_3265.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    599.4 KB · Views: 24

hillsonwheels

The Hills are in transit and have safely arrived in Colonial Beach, VA. Beletti, you'd be interested in knowing that the day we left here they had over 12" of rain from 4pm to 1am. :eek: !!! Was told that the water was at least 6" deep in the area where we parked. That calls for another :eek:!!!

Mike and Ann hit the rally ball right out of the park with this........their first?????????? :D:D Did worry a little about Michael tho. Actually had to give him a beer to get him calmed down at the crab feast! :eek::eek: I know it was his first (BEER?) ever and I worried about doing the right thing there. :cool::cool: Love it when the crabs and the cold beer come together. We even stopped for another crab cake sandwich on the way to Colonial Beach!!!!!! :D How can one get enuff of the good stuff??

Moving along.........one of the really neat things about these "git t'gethers" is the "hep" you can get. Thanks to Don Massengill for the "hep" with the final part of the install on our welcome home light. Daggone thing still startles me when it comes on to "welcome us home. :eek: And, I know that there was a whole lot of first rate information passed to some newbies! What a great bunch of folks we have in our Heartland community!

Reta and I talked about how much fun NY is gonna be. But, we just can't get there from here!!!! :(:(

As far as the Hill's are concerned........a good time was had by all and to all.........safe trippin'........:angel::angel:

See a lot of you in Charleston and Willow Tree.

Dick

jbeletti

Re: Maryland Rally

Hey Dick,

You got it right on Don Massengill - the guy is a genius - I'm pretty sure. Wish he was my neighbor in Crossville :)

See you in SC - we registered today!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.