EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: NJ, West Creek - 9/6/2019 to 9/8/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Just looking at our route into Jersey. I think every road that I will be traveling on is a toll road. There will be a donation jar out in front of the ElkRidge… Feel free to drop off any spare change you might have. LOL

porthole

Retired
Coming from Connecticut is best way Tappan Zee to GSP all the way? My rig is 11” so I should be ok for the overpasses.

Sent from my iPhone

If you want the lease stressful ride, yes.

Cross the Tappan Zee

Head south towards NJ, follow signs to the NJ Garden State Parkway.
Note, the Garden State Parkway (GSP) is the only "parkway" in the northeast you are allowed to take your truck or truck and trailer on.

The northern 40 mile section of the GSP has several arched bridges with low side clearance, typically 12'-13' on the shoulders. Some of the outer lanes are less then 13'6"

You will be fine if you take the bridges in the center of three lane sections or the 2nd-3rd lane of the 4 or 5 lane sections.

There are tolls and they all take Easypass.

There is a 22 mile section of the GSP below the Raritan River bridge that splits to local and express lanes. 50/50 on that.

Since the beginning of the express lane I have always avoided it. It's only two lanes and if there is an accident there is limited recourse for getting off the highway.

And another 2 hints.

Fuel is the same price the entire length of the GSP and the NJ Turnpike and will most likely be less expensive then what you are paying at home. Look at the rest stops as you travel south to see which ones look OK to you. The rest stop near the 130-134 mile marker is tight.

There is a rest area, fuel station just south of Exit - mile marker 100.

The Monmouth Rest area IS NOT RV FRIENDLY

The rest area was recently renovated and I swear they intentionally redesigned it to keep trucks and trailers out of the lot. We have been using it for over 30 years, and the last 16 years with RV's. I am leery of even attempting to access the GSP from the rest stop anymore, it is very tight.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there Jamie; Did you notice that it is always free to re-enter NJ.

And very few areas to get out of Jersey with no toll with a bigger vehicle and trailer.

KrazyKampers

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi Ira. We changed our reservation. We are now arriving on 9/4. One extra day of rally fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you would like your limited edition NJ rally tumbler personalized at no additional cost....please let me know. Our graphics company needs to know in the next couple of days. 16 have been spoken for, sample below

Ira
dfecda90c72cdfbb51c44a3c26db9852.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

Pekay2415

Ira, please sign us up for two tumblers. We would like Mike on one and Pattie on the other. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregD904

If you would like your limited edition NJ rally tumbler personalized at no additional cost....please let me know. Our graphics company needs to know in the next couple of days. 16 have been spoken for, sample below

Ira
dfecda90c72cdfbb51c44a3c26db9852.jpg

Please save 2 for us: Greg and Alison

Sent from my iPhone

Dawnnira

Let's welcome Pat & Ed to the rally! They just got in...glad to have you join us. Safe travels

Ira and Dawn

GregD904

Thank you guys for the input I really appreciate it.

Yeah, that was one of my concerns was where I’m going to fuel up as I have traveled on the Garden State Parkway and New Jersey Turnpike on the way to South Carolina dozens of times as a kid and adult.

I know that you cannot pump your own gas in New Jersey but I’m familiar with some of the rest stops the most familiar to me is Montville as I always stop there since it’s about a two hour ride from where I live, Obviously will be longer when towing.

Unlike the Massachusetts Turnpike from what I remember of New Jersey, all the gas stations are parallel to the highway which means you can driveway through them with the truck towing a camper and seem to be pretty easy, however I will stay away from the ones that you said here.

I will try to plan fuel accordingly and may even fuel up in Montvale to make it off the GSP before having to fuel again, possibly all the way to the campground.

Thank you again for the advice and looking forward to seeing everybody in about a week!

Sent from my iPhone

Dawnnira

Wow, it’s right around the corner...Rally time. The 1st annual New Jersey Pet/Owner pageant judging categories are attached. Fun for everyone! Dawn and I will be on the grounds Wednesday if anyone is looking to hang. Remember - Friday meet and greet, drinks eats fire and movie. Saturday-breakfast, Pet pageant, time game of skill-afternoon free. Pot Luck dinner, free premiums, raffles for charity/Disney for charity/50-50 for charity...fire and movie. Sunday breakfast, looking forward to seeing everyone. Safe travels

Ira and Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.