EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: NJ, West Creek - 9/6/2019 to 9/8/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I’ll be done working in Swedesboro New Jersey by 1 on Thursday. Hopefully hit the campground by 3. This week is going to drag.....

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome new members to our rally...Audrey & Bill Valko have secured a site! Welcome to the family

Ira and Dawn

GregD904

Called to confirm reservation today, we are in site 504.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and for the white knuckle ride on the GSP.

Sent from my iPhone

GregD904

Thank you again for this great information. In planning the route, I think I will gas up at Montvale, which is about 2+ hours from our home in Connecticut. This should last me a majority of the parkway, if not until we get there. I was looking online at all the rest stops and made note of the ones you mentioned.

I do have a question, what about the Cheesequake Service area at mile post 124? This is only about 60+ miles from the exit for the campground, but I may target to fuel, up here again to make sure we are good for the last leg of the trip. Just looking to see thoughts and if a tow behind RV will be accommodated in this reset stop.

Additionally, when you gas up do you go to the "cars" area or use the trucks area? My truck is unleaded, not diesel, but not sure of the logistics.

If you want the lease stressful ride, yes.

Cross the Tappan Zee

Head south towards NJ, follow signs to the NJ Garden State Parkway.
Note, the Garden State Parkway (GSP) is the only "parkway" in the northeast you are allowed to take your truck or truck and trailer on.

The northern 40 mile section of the GSP has several arched bridges with low side clearance, typically 12'-13' on the shoulders. Some of the outer lanes are less then 13'6"

You will be fine if you take the bridges in the center of three lane sections or the 2nd-3rd lane of the 4 or 5 lane sections.

There are tolls and they all take Easypass.

There is a 22 mile section of the GSP below the Raritan River bridge that splits to local and express lanes. 50/50 on that.

Since the beginning of the express lane I have always avoided it. It's only two lanes and if there is an accident there is limited recourse for getting off the highway.

And another 2 hints.

Fuel is the same price the entire length of the GSP and the NJ Turnpike and will most likely be less expensive then what you are paying at home. Look at the rest stops as you travel south to see which ones look OK to you. The rest stop near the 130-134 mile marker is tight.

There is a rest area, fuel station just south of Exit - mile marker 100.

The Monmouth Rest area IS NOT RV FRIENDLY

The rest area was recently renovated and I swear they intentionally redesigned it to keep trucks and trailers out of the lot. We have been using it for over 30 years, and the last 16 years with RV's. I am leery of even attempting to access the GSP from the rest stop anymore, it is very tight.

- - - Updated - - -

And very few areas to get out of Jersey with no toll with a bigger vehicle and trailer.

Dawnnira

Greg-
You should be okay at the Cheesequake Rest Area that is an older rest area and quite large you should have no problem I don't know how long your truck and trailer are but they have like straight Lanes when you pull off the road you'll practically pull right into the gas station if you can make it there is a Sunoco right at exit 58 when you get off the Garden State Parkway also hope this helps

Ira

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

HOOKERUP

Watch the height at Cheesequake serv area.The fuel islands are low overhang because large trucks are not allowed that far up on GSP,so no reason to make them higher.Just a FYI.I would def try the Asbury serv plaza.

Dawnnira

Welcome to the Rally...
f546849cb5d089d452a67333cb22a9aa.jpg

GregD904

Watch the height at Cheesequake serv area.The fuel islands are low overhang because large trucks are not allowed that far up on GSP,so no reason to make them higher.Just a FYI.I would def try the Asbury serv plaza.

Thank you for that advice! Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone

GregD904

Greg-
You should be okay at the Cheesequake Rest Area that is an older rest area and quite large you should have no problem I don't know how long your truck and trailer are but they have like straight Lanes when you pull off the road you'll practically pull right into the gas station if you can make it there is a Sunoco right at exit 58 when you get off the Garden State Parkway also hope this helps

Ira

Ira,

Thank you very much, I appreciate the info and advice. If I fill up at Montvale I should be good until the campground.

See you tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone

Dawnnira

Looking forward to seeing everyone...we around 8 rigs now. Been smoking

Ira
2d90375f974486deeb74cd5b12b2dd9f.jpg

Dawnnira

Meet and Greet update...
Friday night at 6pm will be in building"B" centrally located in the middle of the the CG, there is only parking for two or three cars. If you need a ride over let me know I will pick you up. Tables and chairs are inside already no need to bring them just bring your beverage. See you later

Ira cell 732 501 7457

Status
Not open for further replies.