EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: TX, Alpine - 3/17/2017 to 3/19/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just got our names on the standby list for this rally. We asked for 13 Mar - 20 Mar, now to wait and see if the RV park has any cancellations.

Kevin

OK Kevin, sorry the park got full!

I'll start a Standby List.

Erika

SilverRhino

Erika .... I cancelled our reservation with Lost Alaskan at the beginning of the week. Mary & I have an opportunity to serve as work campers next year at our favorite Branson, MO RV Park.

Due to the conflict we will not be able to join all of you at the Rally. I am sure you will all have a great time and would liked to have joined you.

Travel Safe!

TravelTiger

Erika .... I cancelled our reservation with Lost Alaskan at the beginning of the week. Mary & I have an opportunity to serve as work campers next year at our favorite Branson, MO RV Park.

Due to the conflict we will not be able to join all of you at the Rally. I am sure you will all have a great time and would liked to have joined you.

Travel Safe!

Awww, so sorry you won't make it, but we understand!

Erika

- - - Updated - - -

Folks I checked with the park, and someone else who also called this week (in our group) has already been assigned to SilverRhino's site, so there still is a waiting list.

If you have not made reservations and you still want to attend, Please contact the park if you want to be put on the waiting list, and they will move you into a spot if one comes available.

Erika

TravelTiger

Hey Heartlanders,

The Texas - West Chapter Rally is fast approaching!

We have recently returned from another trip to Alpine to continue work on the Rally planning. See POST #1 for our tentative agenda!

Because this location has SO MANY things to see and do, we have opted NOT to plan too many organized events for the rally days, so folks can pick and chose what they want to spend their time enjoying.

Here is a list of great things that those who plan to attend may want to do -- before, after and during the rally time!

Big Bend National Park
Antique/Specialty Shopping
Davis Mountains Scenic Loop
Fort Davis National Historic Site
Hike Hancock Hill overlooking Sul Ross
Marfa Lights Viewing
Self guided Mural Tour, downtown Alpine
Kokernot Baseball Field/Park
McDonald Observatory
Historic Holland Hotel/Century Bar & Grill
Chihuahuan Desert Nature Center and Botanical Garden
Davis Mountains State Park
Black Jack's Crossing at Lajitas Golf Resort
and more!

We had hoped to have a meal at a local restaurant, however, most of Alpine's eating establishments are not suited for a large group our size. Although there are venues for large groups, they are cost prohibitive.

However, we can certainly recommend many great places to eat, just not all of us at once! Please check these places out while you are there:

Cow Dog
The Reata
Magoo's Place
Guzzi Up
La Casita
Big Bend Brewing Co. (tap room only, no food)
Come and Take it BBQ
The Century Bar & Grill

Also, due to the small size of the Rally Hall, there is not a lot of room to hold a large potluck meal Saturday night. So we have decided on a furnished meal, with a small cost per person.

We will have a potluck style Meet and Greet on Friday, and our theme will be finger-foods. (Think small!)

Important Note:
If you are considering visiting the McDonald Observatory to attend an evening "Star Party" or daytime "Solar" viewing through the telescopes, you must have reservations in advance, which you can make online. Spring Break is the same time as our Rally, so they will sell out in advance. Expect lots of school-age children in attendance. If there is inclement weather (i.e., clouds), you can get a refund, reschedule, or attend an alternative program which will include video/slide presentations inside.

All plans are still semi-liquid, and may change before the Rally date. Keep looking back at the forum for more updates!

Erika & Tony

pegmikef

Thanks Erika and Tony for all the effort you are putting into this. I see a lot of national parks passports stamps on the horizon.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
We made reservations for McDonald Observatory on 3-15-2017, Wed. Guided tour 3:00, twilight program 6:00, and star party 8:45. If anyone wants to carpool, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

We made reservations for McDonald Observatory on 3-15-2017, Wed. Guided tour 3:00, twilight program 6:00, and star party 8:45. If anyone wants to carpool, let me know.

Great! You must have reservations for the Observatory programs, and they are easy to make online.

dkeetc1

We would like to sign up for this event. We have called the park and given them dates 3/6 through 3/22. We are FT and like to go early and stay late. I hope we can get in.

TravelTiger

We would like to sign up for this event. We have called the park and given them dates 3/6 through 3/22. We are FT and like to go early and stay late. I hope we can get in.

Terrific! If you've signed up on the Park's list then I'll add you here.

They told me they will let our wait list folks know if they have any openings, anywhere in the park. So there's a chance you might now be next to the group, but you'll be with us!

rxbristol

I have some 5 micron spun cartridge filters if anyone wants them (free). Please let me know, otherwise they will not be making the trip. Here is a link on the specs.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I just cancelled our reservation, only because I'm going to have knee replacement surgery on February fourteenth. We were looking forward to the rally and seeing everybody too. If all goes well we may make a daytrip to Vanita in April>

TravelTiger

I just cancelled our reservation, only because I'm going to have knee replacement surgery on February fourteenth. We were looking forward to the rally and seeing everybody too. If all goes well we may make a daytrip to Vanita in April>

Sorry to hear, Orville, but you'll be in our prayers for a successful knee surgery!

pegmikef

We will all miss you and Barbara Orville, but I sure understand how all this medical BS can disrupt one's plans (especially at our age). Best wishes with your surgery!

Status
Not open for further replies.