EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: VA, Temperanceville - 5/30/2013 to 6/2/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiremanBill

TV problems suck! I had to drop around $2500 on mine total last year fixing the A/C (bad compressor) and then later in the year some fuel injection issues. Like you though, still better than 60 grand for a new rig.

Hope your issues are resolved soon.

Looking forward to this weekend. The DW is super excited too! We'll be heading over Thursday afternoon. Taking the Cyclone to the house tonight to start getting her all loaded up with camping goodies and toys.:D

Vtxkid

We will be bringing Mac & Cheese along with Strawberry Trifle for dessert... Looking forward to seeing everybody!!!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Eric,

The electric issues have been resolved by installing a new ECM. The latest and I hope the final issue is an engine replacement, main bearing failure causing zero oil pressure, far cheaper than the $64,000 they want for a new truck.

It has been 2 weeks now and the dealer keeps saying we should have it back soon??

dave

"Soon" is an ancient Celtic word meaning ="Who knows?"

TandC

Carol & I are ready to rally!
We'll bring cheese & crackers for Friday evening and pineapple-cherry cake to the potluck on Sat.
We are coming from the Richmond VA area tomorrow (Wed) and will be going over the bridges and tunnels for the first time.
We've been told there is an area to stop and check your rig (e.g. to make sure the propane is turned off) before going
over/through the bridges and tunnels. We've also been told there are no areas to stop and check. Which is correct?
Looking forward to meeting y'all.

FiremanBill

We'll bring cheese & crackers for Friday evening and pineapple-cherry cake to the potluck on Sat.
We are coming from the Richmond VA area tomorrow (Wed) and will be going over the bridges and tunnels for the first time.
We've been told there is an area to stop and check your rig (e.g. to make sure the propane is turned off) before going
over/through the bridges and tunnels. We've also been told there are no areas to stop and check. Which is correct?

You have to stop to be inspected before going onto the bridges with tunnels Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel on I-64 (HRBT) and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (CCBBT) When you pull off on the inspection ramp you can either stop short to turn them off or just turn them off when you get up to the inspector. All they really check for is that the bottles are off. Some just ask and some make you get out and show them. Either way, just make sure they are off for the sake of everyone, especially Emergency Response crews in the event of an accident.

FiremanBill

Also, don't forget that pesky toll on the CCBBT. $20 for truck and two axle trailer and $24 for truck and three axle trailer.

vakthund

over/through the bridges and tunnels.
There is an inspection station on the right before the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel on southbound 64 right _after_ the Mallory St exit (exit 268, last exit before tunnel). Yes, take the exit after the last exit :)
Not really an exit, your only option it to get back on 64 south. Can't miss the sign for it.

---
One day I'll put something clever in here.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
We may just see you tomorrow as we will be leaving early, should be at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel by noon. The propane check for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel actually occurs at the toll booth when you will be asked the status of your propane tanks. I have always just verbally declared them "shut off" which has to date satisfied the teller. If you did have them "on" and you need to turn them "off" there is an area just past the toll booth to pull over where you could then get out and turn the valve closed. Once on the Bay Bridge/Tunnel road there really is no place to stop and rest pulling the 5th wheel. The restaurant and rest stop midway is OK for cars but that is about it. I have always enjoyed driving across and under the Chesapeake Bay however I have noted Dorothy's white knuckles, especially going through the 2-lane tunnels:eek:. She does not like that trip one bit, however all is well once we get to the other side.
Firemanbill is correct if you go through any of the other tunnels in the Norfolk area. You will see a sign requiring campers to stop and check-in at an inspection station before entering the tunnel. These tunnels are toll free so you will not have a toll booth attendant. In the past year or so, I have been required to get out of the TV and physically show the inspector that the propane tanks are "closed". Not a big deal, however the shortcoming is that there is no acceleration lane to get back in the flow of traffic following the check. Not a perfect world!
Have a safe trip and we will see you at the campground.

funlabs

Eric, I wish you hadn't mentioned Dorothy's knuckles. It's my first trip over and under with the trailer and I'm not looking forward to the tunnels. We're bringing a coconut ambrosia salad which also doubles as dessert for the pot luck. We'll have a couple of shrimp balls for the meet-and-greet and some crab salsa for the wine and cheese party. This looks like it will be a great weekend! Lots of great stuff planned and talked about. A quick shout out to anyone with pets thinking about going over to the lighthouse or the pony preserve, they do not allow animals even in your vehicle.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
...It's my first trip over and under with the trailer and I'm not looking forward to the tunnels. ...

Hi Deb, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is really a fun ride and you will not have any problems so let any anxiety go. Dorothy is claustrophobic but she does handle it very well, she just doesn't like the tunnel, and I mean ANY tunnel. You have an option to go through Annapolis across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to Kent Island, then over towards Ocean City, then south on route 13 to Temperanceville. It adds way too many miles for us, and the cost for the diesel to cover the extra miles is way more than the toll to cross on the CBBT. See you in Temperanceville.

camperjohn08

I with You All when it comes to going thru any tunnel.. But I do glance at my left and right side mirrors once in awhile to check the location of my 5'er as it is related to the road itself..:eek: (Try to keep her centered..) We will be going thru the Chesapeake Bay tunnel about 0930 tomorrow.. (Wed) I called the campground today and they said anytime after 0900.. No one is on our site..:p See You All there..

FiremanBill

Getting excited now! DW will be packing up the goodies for the weekend in the rig tonight and we'll be heading over tomorrow afternoon. Hope to be there in time for dinner tomorrow night but it will be close depending on traffic. Looking forward to a great weekend!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Getting excited now! DW will be packing up the goodies for the weekend in the rig tonight and we'll be heading over tomorrow afternoon. Hope to be there in time for dinner tomorrow night but it will be close depending on traffic. Looking forward to a great weekend!
What's taking you so long??? There's a whole bunch of us already here just waiting on you

FiremanBill

What's taking you so long??? There's a whole bunch of us already here just waiting on you

This pesky thing called work! I used up the majority of my vacation time on that last trip to Georgia back in April.

I'm sitting here staring out the window at work right now thinking about being on the road and just not being very productive at all!

Vtxkid

This pesky thing called work! I used up the majority of my vacation time on that last trip to Georgia back in April.

I'm sitting here staring out the window at work right now thinking about being on the road and just not being very productive at all!

That makes two of us! lol....

dalspot

Hey, if *I* can drive a tractor trailer across the BBT, you'll do fine! (tho it's been many years) No different than staying in your lane on the highway :)

Karen

Eric, I wish you hadn't mentioned Dorothy's knuckles. It's my first trip over and under with the trailer and I'm not looking forward to the tunnels.

vakthund

Can't wait to get going. Unfortunately DW is stuck at work until late Thursday so we will probably arrive around midnight or so.

---
One day I'll put something clever in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.