EVENT: Heartland Owners Camp-Out: VA, Williamsburg - 11/30/2012 to 12/4/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy

Erik.. Don and I are coming....Next to you and Dorothy, I think.... Hope the weather is as great as oct. campout!!

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
So glad to see the "Don" and Cindy joining us, and Johnnie notified me that he and Marsha are also coming. I have also added Stephanie and Bob Hill (friends of Funderburg as well as us) as they are also attending. It is shaping up to be another great Williamsburg camp-out. I will be checking with the campground for our site numbers as some changes were made recently. For those still sitting on the fence post trying to decide whether to join us, just a reminder that the event at Colonial Williamsburg is EXTREMELY popular and the campground is sure to fill up, so please get your reservation in soon.

Flying Dutchman

We are up to 12 rigs attending as Jim and Leslie are joining us. Yeah!!:cool: What a great group, and the good news is that there is space at the campground for more. The attendee list is located in the first post and that list mirrors the reservations held with American Heritage, so if you plan on going and don't see your name it's time to make some calls.
We have changed our arrival date in Williamsburg to Thursday 11/29 as we will be traveling directly from our Thanksgiving camping in St. Marys, GA (hope that the diesel prices drop).
As of now the only agenda item I have planned for us is the Grand Illumination event at Colonial Williamsburg on Sunday, 12/2. I plan to put together a list of items that you may wish to have on hand for that day. A lot depends on the weather, but as all the activities are outdoors plan on things for your comfort as well as your nourishment. Chairs as well as blankets to sit directly on the ground are necessities. I think it would be nice to have a group picnic on the lawn in front of one of the performing stages about mid afternoon (the performing entertainment starts at 4:45pm). This way we would have good seating. As far as picnic food, anything that is finger type food will work, cold or heated foods that are prepared in advance (sorry, no grills allowed). If you have something in mind, let me know and I will keep track of the items in the first posting so you can all plan accordingly. We will also plan on pooling transportation to the event as it will be crowded and parking (especially with our haulers) will be a challenge. The earlier the arrival the better chance for decent parking, and we will also need to "stake" out our picnic area for the entire group.
Our non-agenda camp-out is wide open for other group events on any of the days we are together. Let us know what you would like. Maybe a group breakfast, possibly a lunch or dinner at Sal's Pizza. I am not sure if there is any indoor room at the campground that we can use if the weather is extremely cold, but I do know that the "Landmark Diner" as well as our "Big Country Meeting House" will be open.
Looking forward to hearing from you and then being together in a few short weeks.

Jim & Harriet

This all sounds like fun. Now that it gets dark so much earlier, what time does the actual
"illuminating" start? (This may sound like a silly question, but we have never seen been to
this event before.)
Will the picnic be "lunch" or "dinner" or just "continuous" :)

Flying Dutchman

The "illuminating" starts at sunset with candles lit (actually electric candles) in all the windows of the colonial buildings. Entertainment begins at 4:45pm, and continues for about 2+ hours in 30 minute rotations at the various stage locations. We will stay put in one location and the entertainers do the rotation. Then sometime between 7:30pm and 8:00pm the "grand illumination" of fireworks will begin. It has always been a very impressive show lasting about 30 minutes. At the fireworks conclusion, the Colonial Williamsburg Fife and Drum Corps will parade from the Market Square up the East Duke of Gloucester Street to the Capital Building followed by as many spectators that still have any energy remaining. Then the other "show" begins, that being the massive traffic jamb as people (in the tens of thousands) leave to go home. I would plan a minimum of 2 hours to get back to the campground. The American Heritage Campground is approximately 11 miles from Colonial Williamsburg (normally a 20-25 minute drive) with the fastest connection being the use of I-64. I am computer challenged to paste a web site address in this posting but just google "Colonial Williamsburg Grand Illumination" for additional information.

As far as the picnic, consider it to be supper, with eating (or continuous snacking) from 3:30-4:00pm until the food runs out. :rolleyes: You will also like to get into Colonial Williamsburg early and spend time walking around. The Christmas decorations on each building entry door as well as window treatments are really spectacular. Many of the wreaths use real fruit, and the decorations are replaced several times during the month to keep the decorations "fresh". It will get you in the Christmas and holiday spirit, guaranteed.

Jim-n-Leslie

Leslie and I are looking forward to all the activities on Sunday. We were originally scheduled to arrive Friday (still the plan) and depart on Tuesday around check-out time. This week the City of Virginia Beach "invited" me to enjoy jury duty the first three Tuesdays of December. Therefore, Leslie and I modified our reservations to depart on Monday. We will find out from the campground if campers are lining up to take our spot as we leave, or if we can maybe leave a bit later than check-out time. Oh, we'll, it's always good to do our civic duty!

Jim-n-Leslie

Leslie and I have a favorite seafood restaurant that we enjoy in the Williamsburg area called the Whaling Company (http://whalingcompany.com/). We are planning on eating at 4 pm Saturday when they open.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353282730.734527.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353282743.704833.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353282755.423071.jpg
After we eat, we will be spending the evening at Christmastown at Busch Gardens (http://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg/Events/Christmas-Town) until they close at 1000. They have another link with details at http://seaworldparks.com/en/christmastownbgw.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353282787.503680.jpg
The Whaling Company has many things they offer other than Seafood. Their menu can be pulled up online where you will also find their address and directions. If anyone is interested in eating with us, reply to this post so we can call Steve (the owner) and let him know how big a group for dinner. Christmastown for those interested follows!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353283022.294610.jpg

Jim & Harriet

Hi Jim and Leslie,
The menu looked wonderful - so please include us! We have not been to Busch Gardens in years and this looks like a great
Christmas event that would be fun to see. Thanks for posting these added activities!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We'd love to join you Jim $ Leslie at the Whaling Co. (one of our favorites as well) and then head over to Busch Gardens. In fact we'd love to join all of you for what I know is going to be a fun weekend. Unforturately, my North Pole duties have us pretty well booked that whole weekend so we will not be able to come. We'll make up for it next spring at the rally up on Eastern Shore! You all have fun

Santa & Mrs. Claus (at least at this time of the year, that is)

vakthund

Leslie and I have a favorite seafood restaurant that we enjoy in the Williamsburg area called the Whaling Company (http://whalingcompany.com/). We are planning on eating at 4 pm Saturday when they open.
The Vikings would like to join the Whaling party on Saturday. Unfortunately, due to an illness, we do not know at this time whether we will have a party of 3, 4 or 5 vikings.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
View attachment 22179View attachment 22180View attachment 22181
After we eat, we will be spending the evening at Christmastown at Busch Gardens (http://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg/Events/Christmas-Town) until they close at 1000. They have another link with details at http://seaworldparks.com/en/christmastownbgw.
View attachment 22182
The Whaling Company has many things they offer other than Seafood. Their menu can be pulled up online where you will also find their address and directions. If anyone is interested in eating with us, reply to this post so we can call Steve (the owner) and let him know how big a group for dinner. Christmastown for those interested follows!
View attachment 22183

Pretty sure Debra and I will attend the Sat dinner at the Whaling Co. Probably will not go to Busch Gardens afterwards, but not definite.

Flying Dutchman

Welcome Dave and Gloria, as well as Richard and Virginia, so glad you can join our little camp-out which promises to be a memorable and enjoyable event. The long range weather forecast looks great, cool days and chilly evenings, perfect for some evening campfire activity. If you have any firewood that you can bring I am sure we can persuade John to be our fire-master.

Jim and Leslie are arranging a dinner at the Whaling Company and a visit to Busch Gardens Christmas Town on Saturday. Let them know if you would like to join them so appropriate reservations can be made. For those that wish to stay and eat at the campground we can have a group dinner eating together and socializing. Just plan on bringing your own meal and drink. I will check with the campground management to see if their meeting room will be available for our use.

We will finalize our plans concerning necessary logistics to attend the Colonial Williamsburg Grand Illumination on Sunday when we meet at the campground. We are looking forward to our weekend together, until then, safe travels to all.:cool:

camperjohn08

Well you all twisted our arms.. So I guess we are still on .. packed up three boxes of firewood..and some pine to start the fires..will bring some fixings for some french toast.. not as much as last time.. but some for all.. for our breakfast one morning..will be nice if they let us use the enclosed room for Breakfast at least.. then we can set up our griddles and have a nice hot meal.. The rig is still winterized.. will probably blow out the anti-freeze at home.. and flush out the system after getting to the camp ground..We will probably not be eating out Sat. night.. but hang around the camp-ground and have dinner with everyone there.. Nancy & I need to be alittle conserative at this camp-out..due to the expensive event in NJ last weekend..

Hope the weather is nice.. no Rain.. and isn't below freezing.. Don't want to get sick again after my bad cold these past couple of weeks..
See ya all there Thursday..

camperjohn08

Well Gus I hope you are feeling better.. And everyone else.. Let's bring our wine and cheese and fixing's for our Camp-0ut Wine tasting event... we usually have everytime we get together.. All that wine just might take the chill off our bodies.. on these cold days.. Not to mention the good friendship and conversations too!!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.