Excitement diluted with disappointment

yport

Dealer just contacted us that our new 2014 Big Horn 3685RL just came in ... which we ordered with every bell & whistle except the generator. Excited that it finally arrived ... excited that, because it went on the assembly line post August 5, it comes with ALL the 2014 changes. Most are very acceptable ... all wood changed to chestnut, but still nice compared to the dealer's model we looked at. All windows are now frameless, which look great outside. Day /Night shades are changed to roller shades ( a nice change) which will add $1049 as a forced option. We get them no added charges since order was already in. A few other little changes which are fine, some a minor disappointment.

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT ... we ordered the 3685 with the TV which raises up and down, revealing a nice large window when TV down. Without any notice, Heartland has changed the 3685 to an attached TV to the wall ... obviously no window, and they put a cabinet to the left of TV and nothing on the right side, making the entertainment section look unbalanced. They added that funky pull out desk drawer under the TV, above the fireplace. What a big disappointment ... we liked the 3685 better than the 3585 because of the TV lifter and large window ... so we end up with a modified 3585 entertainment wall. DW tossed and turned all nite with disappointment, and I gotta say, so did I, as that wall was a big selling point for us. Where we park our RV in Miami and our Nova Scotia farm, that window was a big plus (we have in our current trading rig).

All furniture has changed due to a new supplier ... so sure hoping we like the new.

I can understand minor and incidental changes ... but to make major changes, or change any part of the floorplan on a model mid order - after paying big bucks for these things - just isn't right. They certainly - in transition - could have built the model ordered - seen in their catalogs - and seen at the dealerships .... or at absolute least, at least notified the dealer/us of a major change to see if still wanted. Felt bad for the dealer, who has no clue what will arrive after ordered, especially mid year orders.

Ordered the Mor/Ryde hitch ... but be forewarned if you do in the future ... as they don't tell you ... you don't get the ABS hitch cover with it.

What was suppose to be an exciting day turned into a disappointing day. Maybe this will be traded in a lot sooner than expected. We'll see ...

yport

Oh yeah ... another disappointment ... they changed out the central vacs too .. no more ... now the cordless Dyson, which I have read many complaints about.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I understand your disappointment. It would bum me out for sure.
But I have a couple of comments to make.
Maybe it's just me, but I thought that everyone knew that if you ordered a pinbox other than the standard pinbox that the molded cover would not be included. I think maybe your dealer should have know that.
Having said that, some owners have had success modifying the cover to fit other pinboxes. You may be able to do that with yours. Contact Heartland and see if they will send you a cover.
People I know that have the cordless Dyson love it. Some don't. I think I have read about more problems with the central vac than the Dyson.
And one final thing worth mentioning, and this will not east the pain, is that on the HeartlandRVs web site and in the brochures, the fine print says something to the effect of "we reserved the right to make changes without notice".

Peace
Dave

123camper

Can't you refuse it for not what you ordered when it arrives? Did you not sign a contract for the items you want and are not receiving voiding the contract?

jjriker

I understand that changes can be made without notice, but to go from the descending tv in front of a window to a fixed one on the wall is a huge huge difference in my mind. We have the tv that lowers and I would not want the other kind, so I really feel for you. :( We bought the fiver we have on the lot, and had intended to order when we upgrade - this makes me think twice about that.

jbeletti

It's of no consolation to yport, but when the product changes, it changes on a certain build date. All units going forward include the changes - no exceptions. A dealer who's really plugged in with his Heartland rep will typically know or can find out what changes are coming.

Our experience with the Dyson vac is the opposite of yport. We much prefer it over the Eureka central vac. Way more easier to get out and operate. That said, I understand that not everyone would like them. I'm at a rally now and got a complaint about the Eureka central vac and how disappointed they were in the $400 option.

yport - as you took delivery, I'm hoping you will settle into loving the new unit more than you do today.

Speedy

Yport, I agree with others that the central vac is a waste. Seemed it would be a great option until you try to vacuum the carpet; since it has no power head it leaves a lot of dirt behind. When I get to my crawl space remodel it's coming out and will given away.

Regarding the changes to your coach from the original order, as you stated you have use for the big window at your sites. We thought the same but as we have traveled the big window is just a huge heat sink. We bought our coach off the dealer lot and would do so again. I want to touch and feel what I'm buying and to have the surprise changes you experienced happen to me would result in me walking out of the deal. I assume you have taken delivery so that's not an option so you have to live with it until you find something better.

Theresau

I think that dealers need to let those that are ordering of any major changes that would affect an order. There should be no surprises when a unit is delivered.

My input is that I personally would not have accepted this unit and would have asked for my deposit $ back - as I recall, the contract that we had stated that decor may change but nothing about actual construction. Our constuction changed a bit - the rear window was no longer a large picture window which was a surprise as well but workable for us but that was a change from 2013 to 2014.

If we had chosen a model based on a large side window that no longer existed that would not have been acceptable and the dealer would have to address so that the contract matched what was ordered.

Question: Why are construction and decor being changed mid-model year? I noted after we ordered the new BC that there were differences between early and later model 2013 BC's which surprised me. I always assumed that a model year not only pertained to calendar but to design/construction and I guess that's wrong. Is this typical for the industry? Dealers need to advise that changes may occur and again need to keep abreadst of the changes and advise the purchaser otherwise they should lose the sale if the unit comes in as changed as this one did from what was ordered which included the exterior graphics as well. When this was announced I assumed that purchasers would have been in the loop of these major changes.

If we ever order again the contract will be explicitly clear what is being ordered (and we did do this for the BC but not in regard to construction - dealer thought I was being too anal) and I will make sure that the dealer double checks this.

Theresa

It's of no consolation to yport, but when the product changes, it changes on a certain build date. All units going forward include the changes - no exceptions. A dealer who's really plugged in with his Heartland rep will typically know or can find out what changes are coming.

Our experience with the Dyson vac is the opposite of yport. We much prefer it over the Eureka central vac. Way more easier to get out and operate. That said, I understand that not everyone would like them. I'm at a rally now and got a complaint about the Eureka central vac and how disappointed they were in the $400 option.

yport - as you took delivery, I'm hoping you will settle into loving the new unit more than you do today.

Westwind

When you are spending $45+K or much more on a RV you cannot be too anal!!! The lesson for all RV's that are being ordered, make the dealer check with the factory to be sure it's going to show up like you want it. I feel that a dealer who is on the ball and want's to be sure that his customer is satisfied then they should be on the phone with the factory checking to be sure it will be delivered the way you thought you ordered it.

Theresau

Totally agree but I don't know if I would have thought to push regarding construction considering it is mid-model year. Guess best bet would be to attach a snap of the expected layout to the contract. Seems like a great deal of work. When I order something, I expect it to be what I ordered. Or is the RV industry fluid in that regard.

When you are spending $45+K or much more on a RV you cannot be too anal!!! The lesson for all RV's that are being ordered, make the dealer check with the factory to be sure it's going to show up like you want it. I feel that a dealer who is on the ball and want's to be sure that his customer is satisfied then they should be on the phone with the factory checking to be sure it will be delivered the way you thought you ordered it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
With regard to model year changes, I think the industry as a whole is in flux. The new swing to impress dealers at the Elkhart Open House mid September with some kind of wow-factor creates invention mid model year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Oh yeah ... another disappointment ... they changed out the central vacs too .. no more ... now the cordless Dyson, which I have read many complaints about.

I did not want ugly plastic cover on my hitch on my BC and was glad it did not come with the mor/ryde. As far as the vac, they went to the dyson early this year, too many problems nd complaints with built in. Otherwise I understand your situation as we ordered a certain color furniture and did not know couch would be different from chairs and back of couch would be fabric and not leather. Brand manager pulled a favor at supplier and got it changed for us. Sorry to hear your issues though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free