F250 Regen

Peteandsharon

First thing to do is throw the K&N in the trash!.......... then clean your intake system thoroughly. K&N's are a joke.

I don't think there are any more polarizing and fruitless arguments that I have seen on forums like this than "my truck is better than your truck" and OEM vs. aftermarket filters. They just get gearheads fired up and go nowhere so that's why I've been trying desperately not to go there. I just really wanted to know if anyone had any direct first hand evidence that Ford could blame my K&N for the regen issue when I bring it in. I purchased the extended warranty when I bought the truck to go along with any basic warranty so I am reasonably sure that any issue should be under warranty. I only worry that Ford tries to play games with me and believe me I have been there with them. Anyway, thanks to all for good advice. Nothing would please me more than to be completely out from under this silly regen process but I'm still not ready to pull the trigger on that. Maybe sometime soon. Take care all.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Pete

Just trying to save you from having major problems with your Ford diesel. The 08's have enough issues so why make more. If you haven't visited the FTE forum I suggest browsing there. Also check out the independent testing of the KN's for oil damage and allowing 'dirt' to pass through them. eg Bob is the oil guy, filter testing.
Seen to many owners in tears....If had an 08 6.4l diesel I would consider passing it along to cut my losses.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have been told by several Ford mechanics (at different dealers) that the K & N filter should not be used as they have been know to cause various issues. They do not filter the air better than the OEM air filters. They told me the OEM filter has been designed by the Ford engineers to work specifically with the Ford engines and it is best to stick with them. I have and have so far not experienced any Regen issues such as you are experiencing. What they said makes sense to me so I go with their advise.

Peteandsharon

Pete

Just trying to save you from having major problems with your Ford diesel. The 08's have enough issues so why make more. If you haven't visited the FTE forum I suggest browsing there. Also check out the independent testing of the KN's for oil damage and allowing 'dirt' to pass through them. eg Bob is the oil guy, filter testing.

I understand. No worries. And yesterday I took the advice and tossed the K&N in the trash. Went back to a Purolator Classic. Also took the K&N decal off the filter housing. Trying to remove all of the evidence. I hated to waste the $90 that I spent but given my history with Ford, I dont want to give them the slightest bit of ammo to deny a warranty claim. But just to be clear, it is true that this most recent regen goofiness (frequent and long regens) started after I introduced the K&N. But the other part of the problem ( embarrassing smoke at the beginning of regen) has been ongoing and occurred long before the K&N. Thanks again, guys.

tmcran

I understand. No worries. And yesterday I took the advice and tossed the K&N in the trash. Went back to a Purolator Classic. Also took the K&N decal off the filter housing. Trying to remove all of the evidence. I hated to waste the $90 that I spent but given my history with Ford, I dont want to give them the slightest bit of ammo to deny a warranty claim. But just to be clear, it is true that this most recent regen goofiness (frequent and long regens) started after I introduced the K&N. But the other part of the problem ( embarrassing smoke at the beginning of regen) has been ongoing and occurred long before the K&N. Thanks again, guys.
IMO you will not lose anything by trashing the K&N. Most of us have . Been known for long while the Dmax does much better on the OEM. Also saves the MAF.

vangoes

Pete,
My 08 Ford also had the white smoke issue from the beginning. I would also at times get a fluttering at the same time but both the smoke and the fluttering would stop after a few seconds. The Ford garages never could find anything wrong so I just learned to live with it.

Peteandsharon

Pete,
My 08 Ford also had the white smoke issue from the beginning. I would also at times get a fluttering at the same time but both the smoke and the fluttering would stop after a few seconds. The Ford garages never could find anything wrong so I just learned to live with it.

Bingo. Thats it exactly. Starts at the beginning of the regen cycle and only lasts for about 15 seconds. Never does it when a tech is present. Dealer says it's perfectly normal for it to "smoke a little when it's cold". Recently I was in downtown Milwaukee in the middle of slow heavy traffic right at 8:00 in the morning with people on foot everywhere. Typical city rush hour stuff. It decides to go into regen right then and there. I look behind me and three cars deep they are buried in white smoke. There's probably not a mosquito alive for blocks and there are about a million places (including Afghanistan) that I would have rather been at that point. I haven't been that embarrassed in a long long time. But that's "perfectly normal".

scottyb

When we got our only 6.4 in our fleet, it would shoot flames out the tail pipe when it went into regen. It was apparently pretty impressive in the dark. We had a concerned citizen call 911 with my Superintendant's license number, and we were contacted by the sheriff's dept. Seems like Ford fixed it, but I don't remember if it was a recall or just repaired the ones that were brought in.

Peteandsharon

When we got our only 6.4 in our fleet, it would shoot flames out the tail pipe when it went into regen. It was apparently pretty impressive in the dark. We had a concerned citizen call 911 with my Superintendant's license number, and we were contacted by the sheriff's dept. Seems like Ford fixed it, but I don't remember if it was a recall or just repaired the ones that were brought in.
Yeah, I saw a Youtube video and the guys rig looked like a flamethrower. There is also urban legend out about a guy who started a fire in his garage when he left it running there. But that was before it became the refined product that we have now.

Tool958

Dry K&N or other brand filters are recommended for the diesels. The oil on the oiled filters have been documented to settle on the MAF sensors and cause false readings to be sent to the ECM. They work good on gasoline motors, but for some reason it causes problems with the diesels. I would buy some sensor cleaner and clean the MAF sensor to see if it stops the long regen cycles. The reason I know about it is I've had problems with mine too. I eventually just took the K&N off and re-installed the factory filter. Since then, I've had no more problems. On the GM factory filters, they are supposed to be good up to 500 horse and show no gain over the factory filters and box. I'm not sure about the Ford filter and set-up but suspect they are about the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tool958

My Mustang is equipped with the Ford Racing performance pack. It comes with a K&N filter. Ford apparently likes them a lot.

For some reason that I don't know, they work fine on the gasoline motors. The oiled filters don't work at all for the diesels especially
if they are over oiled. Most, if they keep the K&N style filters, they go to the dry washable filters instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Oiled filters are a problem because they are typically over oiled. Either way, they can cause havoc with diesels because of sensors and excess oiling of turbo vanes.

I would not use the K&N styled oiled filter in any of the modern vehicles. But, on the old school tech of my 420HP 6-71 TI's - they work great in a marine application. And since in a boat almost all things are doubled, cleaning my air filters cuts down on maintenance costs with 2 engines.

Modern trucks, my research (after 2 different intakes with my previous truck) is that the best intake system out there is the one that came with your truck.
For the most part, all of the claims about increased horsepower and torque are minimal enough that they cannot even be qualified without the use of a dyno. And a "butt dyno" can't feel a possible 10-15 HP gain.

Peteandsharon

Well I would have debated you all on this. I saw the K&N videos where they dispelled the oil theory and stated that the airflow is never near enough to move any oil. Having said that, though, I removed the K&N and went back to more of an OEM style filter. The jury is still out but for the first week I at least saw one thing. When it went into regen there was NO SMOKE!!! I still want to see what it does to the frequency of regen over time and also the length of regen. This week when it went into regen I did not have time to let it complete. But I am hopeful for a miracle. Maybe my problem all along was the K&N. But...... if it is as simple as going back to the OEM style filter then what is really happening? If the K&N caused the MAF to start getting fouled then removing the K&N won't undo that "damage". Why the immediate fix? There must be something more about the K&N that my truck doesn't like. Flow volume..... air quality....... or somthing besides just oil on the filter.

Anyway, I'll see what the longterm effects are but I'm hopeful for now. Oh by the way, I'm assuming you guys mean the new style diesels when you say K&N doesnt seem to like diesels. I had one on my old 7.3 Powerstroke for about 8-9 years and it was great. Never a problem. I guess that's just one more reason I don't like the DPF and all the changes that went with it.