F350, 2013, 6.7, new sound

MTPockets

Out driving yesterday I stopped, got out with engine still running and noticed that normal diesel sound, but it was much louder. We drove back to our campsite and left engine running and sound is still loud. Engine runs fine, power normal, but that diesel clacking sound is much louder all of a sudden. 43,000 miles. Anyone else experience this? What could it be?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm behind you by about 20k but no loud engine sounds yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimtoo

Out driving yesterday I stopped, got out with engine still running and noticed that normal diesel sound, but it was much louder. We drove back to our campsite and left engine running and sound is still loud. Engine runs fine, power normal, but that diesel clacking sound is much louder all of a sudden. 43,000 miles. Anyone else experience this? What could it be?

Did you just get a new hearing aid? :)

porthole

Retired
6.7's have a feature called pilot injection. Basically the fuel system adds a couple of extra small injection cycles before the main injection. It significantly reduces the engine noise.
Maybe yours has stopped working.

Could be your truck was "regenerating", i.e., cleaning the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), a little gift from the EPA. You normally don't notice regenerations if you're driving, but it is quite audible when you stop and have a window down. When the regen occurs you will see your fuel mileage drop dramatically. The regeneration requires speeds of 45 mph or more so will shut down after a few minutes of idle.

One other thing, you shouldn't idle your diesel except briefly after heavy turbo work and then only 3 minutes or so. Manufactures began recommending against idling in the late 1990's. (See your Owner's Manual.) Excessive idling of today's diesels can actually lead to engine failures because of the DPF's and the EGR's that manufactures put on them in order to meet EPA standards. These things clog-up with soot, which causes excess exhaust back pressure. Good news is if your F350 detects to much back pressure it will shut down to prevent catastrophic engine failure. Bad news, it may shut down where you don't want it to, like the middle of no where, and more than likely you'll have to replace the DPF if that occurs ---- big bucks. Clogged EGR's on pre 2011 Ford Navistar diesels have resulted in engine replacements.

pegmikef

The diesel supplement that came with my F350 recommends idling 3-5 minutes when the engine is hot, the ambient temperatures are high, and especially after heavy work such as towing or heavy loads . . . but I didn't see a warning about idling longer. I usually do the three to five minutes after towing.

jam20ster

Sounds like its in the middle of a regen. The sound will be different during this time along with the tailpipe very hot. During the time your truck is making this louder noise go back to the tailpipe and see if it seems hotter than normal. Don't actually put your hands on it, but you should be able to tell by just getting close to it. During regen it will be much hotter than normal.

I have a 2015 F350 6.7 and have never idled after towing.

MTPockets

The regen sounds plausible. The next morning that sound was gone, so that was most likely what was going on. Thanks for the info.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
What ya say? I was suppose to get a new hearing aid with my 2012 F350 DRW SD? Damm. Missed out on that.:p

IronJ

Neither of mine sound diff on regeneration ,but the exhaust smell is definantly more noticeable. My 250 is a 2012 model and at about 21k developed the so called (typewriter tick) after an oil change....pretty much just sounded more like a diesel. This is a known issue with the 6.7 and my tech even had a notice in his system about it. Ford advised it was normal and no action was needed...sometimes it's louder than others but the truck only has 30k on it now...runs great no issues....so it could be that on yours as well...it's a loud tick/clack you can hear real well around the front fender area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

avvidclif

I have a 2015 F350 6.7 and have never idled after towing.

You might think about it. It's not for the engine itself but to allow the turbo's to cool down. I always leave it running until I get unhooked, campground or home. That gives it several minutes to cool down.

dewwood

One other thing can indicate the truck is in regen. On my Chevy when it is in regen the smell is very noticeable. I don't know if Fords and Dodge's are the same but you have no trouble telling when it is in regen especially if you pull into a building.

BBslider001

People shutting down their diesels right after coming to a stop is like nails on a chalkboard to me personally. They NEED to idle at least a little after working to allow the turbo to cool down and wind down from 28-30k RPMs. But, do what you want. Mine always idles a good 10 min after towing and always stays idling while fueling on long trips. Starting/stopping them early is an early death sentence.

jam20ster

I was actually told by me dealership to not idle truck due to DPF filter. Now i know that dealership usually knows less than the consumer, but they made it a point to remind me of this several times during the purchase. I've never had an issue. Granted all my diesels have been 2013 and up so I dont have any experience with older model diesels/turbos. To each his own. Also when I do buy diesel trucks I always buy the extended warranty due to cost of parts and labor.

BBslider001

Yeah, to each their own. I wouldn't let it idle for hours, but letting it idle after working hard is not going to hurt the DPF. How could it? And yes, any dealership telling me anything about diesels goes in one ear and out the other. Unless the tech is an owner himself with real world experience, it might be good to heed those who work on these. Read the other truck forums. Lots of warranty work due to these kinds of failures. Even with an extended warranty, you can be out of your truck 30 days while they figure out if its a warranty issue or not. And it STILL might cost you money.

Last edited:

jam20ster

Idling is hard on DPF filters as idling does not produce enough engine heat to burn off soot/carbon so it prematurely packs the filter, which then causes the newer trucks to go into regen, which then burns more fuel. I understand what you are saying and I think its a good practice to idle for a bit, but not required. Ive read alot about the 6.7L Scorpion engine and its a completely new setup as far as turbo goes. On older models maybe it is recommended, but older models for the most part have no emmissions equipment.

We are comparing apples to oranges if you are talking about a 1997 7.3L and I am talking about a 2015 6.7L.

I do though appreciate any advice as this is how people learn.

Last edited:

jam20ster

2012 uses a Garrett G32 turbo, 2015 introduced the Garrett G37 turbo which is larger. They also redesigned turbo oil and cooling lines to accommodate larger turbo.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
2012 uses a Garrett G32 turbo, 2015 introduced the Garrett G37 turbo which is larger. They also redesigned turbo oil and cooling lines to accommodate larger turbo.

Thanks that is good to know.

My next question is what is the difference between diesel motor oil and gasoline motor oil?