F350, 2013, 6.7, new sound

avvidclif

Idling is hard on DPF filters as idling does not produce enough engine heat to burn off soot/carbon so I prematurely packs the filter, which then causes the newer trucks to go into regen, which then burns more fuel. I understand what you are saying and I think its a good practice to idle for a bit, but not required. Ive read alot about the 6.7L Scorpion engine and its a completely new setup as far as turbo goes. On older models maybe it is recommended, but older models for the most part have no emmissions equipment.

We are comparing apples to oranges if you are talking about a 1997 7.3L and I am talking about a 2015 6.7L.

I do though appreciate any advice as this is how people learn.

Mine is a 2009 and we're not talking about 30 min of idling. 10 minute max. Besides my DPF may occupy a proud place in my barn since the warranty just ran out.

jam20ster

My next question is what is the difference between diesel motor oil and gasoline motor oil?

I'm not claiming to be an expert so I would not be able to help you with this. Others may know.

I can only assume detergents used, viscosity along with other factors.

As someone said, "to each his own". But, 10 minutes of idling is most likely unnecessary. I let my diesel cool down by driving slower before I get to where I'm going to park. You usually have to slow down anyway because of traffic, streets, etc. Also, I don't measure time as much as oil and coolant temperature. When these start dropping, you can turn off your engine. Note they will never cool down as long as the engine is running, but they will drop. The main thing your trying to do is to get the turbo to cool a little.

As someone pointed out, regnes are hard on the DPF. The DPF has a finite life, maybe 80k to 100k miles if you don't abuse it. If you do a lot of stop and go, slow driving or just letting your truck idle, you'll be lucky to get 80k from your DPF. I have a friend in the home building business who has to do a lot of stop, go, slow driving. His 2011 F350 left him stuck on the side of the road after about 35k miles because of a clogged DPF. (Chevys and Rams have the same issue.)

You should also understand that regens are hard on engines because regens raise the temperature of the engines. Ford and I believe Dodge dump fuel into the cylinder during the exhaust stroke in order to heat the particulate filter. Chevy has a better solution of injecting fuel directly in the tailpipe before the DPF.

Also as has been said, your biggest incentive for not idling is fuel consumption. Idling in itself is a waste. Regening every 100 miles is a real waste of fuel.

One other comment: people used (pre DPF) to remove all of this EPA crap and achieve a 10% to 20% boost in fuel economy. I'm sure that if you removed the DPF you'd get even better mileage. Problem with doing this is you void your warranty; you will not pass inspections; you will not be able to trade your truck in because if a dealer determines you tampered with emissions, he'll have to put them back in order to sell your vehicle; and, it cost lots of money to remove this stuff and reprogram the truck.

jam20ster

One thing to keep in mind is that when someone is expressing ideas or "you should do this and not that," this typically does not apply across the board for all makes and models. Its hard to compare older model diesels to the newer diesels and sometimes equally as tough to compare some 2010-2012 models to the new 2015 models. Some of the early emission diesels had a lot of issues that have now been worked out.

The best thing anyone can do is go online and research their specific model and understand its strengths and weaknesses and how to improve or work around these. Also great to ask questions.

lwmcguir

Our local utility has a fleet of 6.7's that idle for most of the day due to equipment they are using and to keep the guys cool or warm as needed when they take breaks. They havent had any issues yet and some of them are getting quite a few hours on them.
A nice feature is that you can check the hour meter and see how many idle hours you have.

Mburtsvt

2012 uses a Garrett G32 turbo, 2015 introduced the Garrett G37 turbo which is larger. They also redesigned turbo oil and cooling lines to accommodate larger turbo.

…and horse power and torque went from:

400 hp @ 2,800 rpm (2010 - 2014 model years)
800 lb-ft @ 1,600 rpm (2010 - 2014 model years)
to

440 hp @ 2,800 rpm (2015 model year)

860 lb-ft @ 1,600 rpm (2015 model year)

avvidclif

Clif, did you remove your EGR stuff too. If not, that Navistar engine of yours is a ticking time bomb waiting to die.

It's also on the short list. The warranty runs out at the end of this month.

As for "always looking" The warranty runs out at the end of July, inspection is not a problem, and if it goes away it will have the original exhaust on it or with it. I tend to sell them not give the dealer a bonus. I've never seen the fuel consumption on the smaller diesels but big rigs generally burn .5-1gal/hr of idle time. Regenning will not happen if the DPF isn't there.