F350 diesel excessive smoke soot

Bobaca

Hello I have a 2015 f350 srw with 180,000 miles that had bad def pump and heater and dpf regenerating about every 50-75 miles. Was told besides replacing def pum/heater assembly that I would also have to replace the dpf assembly. Way too much money as retired full timer on a fixed income. So had dpf deleted and new act gtx tuner ignored def and kept egr closed. Problem is I think excess smoke/soot compared to other deleted trucks or older ones that didn’t have that filter. The tunes are no power, tow, street and extreme. Is the tuner tunes wrong?I get better mpg not towing and smokes in all 4 settings. Towing 2019 big country 3560SS gvcr about 16,000 #. Only have run in no power and tow getting soot all over the Rv

hoefler

All deleted trucks will smoke, regardless of the power setting. The DPF, Deisel Particulate Filter, catches and burns off any soot.
DEF has nothing to do with the DPF, it is injected ahead of the NOx Filter, The DEF sets off a chemical reaction that converts nitrogen oxides into nitrogen

david-steph2018

I had a 2008 Ram 3500 after doing the delete, I used the Banks model and tuned to get better MPG. It would smoke when I gave it throttle at high end. But that truck was a 6 speed standard and did not use DEF at that time. It had issues with the Regen process and Ram actually replaced the particle filter 4 times before they sent me a check with instructions about removing the DPF system and installing a Banks.
But I traded it in on the 2017 Ram in August 2017. When I traded it in it had 280,000+ miles and was sold within 2 weeks at the dealership.

lynndiwagoner

When you did the delete I sure hope you removed all of that crap from the downpipe to the tail end. If you left the DPF in line, and no regen, it will plug up and cause real problems.

lynndiwagoner

I went and looked at that tuner. I guess it doesn't really do anything much regarding the DPF. If that thing is defective your're not going to really gain anything. You need a real tuner that deletes all of that crap, which you have to remove off of the truck, which makes you a felon. You can find these tuners on the internet but they're not sourced in the U.S. Most come from Canada or one of the Caribbean Islands. The EPA has gone after the U.S. sourced suppliers and shut them down. Man the air is sure cleaner.....

centerline

check to make sure there isnt a leak in the air intake system...... if the system leaks and doesnt allow the boost required, it can cause loss of power and lots of black smoke.....
this is the most common problem when the black smoke is excessive when tuned to the low and tow settings

centerline

I went and looked at that tuner. I guess it doesn't really do anything much regarding the DPF. If that thing is defective your're not going to really gain anything. You need a real tuner that deletes all of that crap, which you have to remove off of the truck, which makes you a felon. You can find these tuners on the internet but they're not sourced in the U.S. Most come from Canada or one of the Caribbean Islands. The EPA has gone after the U.S. sourced suppliers and shut them down. Man the air is sure cleaner.....
its NOT a felony if you remove the emissions package from your vehicle..... it IS a FELONY if you pay someone to delete it for you, OR, if they pay you to delete theirs....
it IS illegal to remove it from a vehicle used on public highways, but its not a felony.... following is the last line of the section that explains the requirements and limitations concerning emission controls.....

"The offense described in this section, unlawful disconnection or alteration of pollution control equipment is a Class A misdemeanor. [1983 c.338 §506; 2019 c.645 §10]"

lynndiwagoner

Thanks....will make a lot of folks feel a little better about not being a felon. I sure can't imagine a jury finding an individual at fault for trying to make their truck run better, and less trouble free.