Factory aluminum rims cracking

justafordguy

One of my wheels like this cracked last week. I just started the warranty process with Tredit. Hopefully the process will go smooth. :(

tireman9

Why are owners still having wheel failures? I am surprised that NHTSA hasn't ordered a recall what will all the reports of wheel failures you have been reporting.

With the air loss to, I hope you are getting new tires too as the wheel failure that results in air loss means some or all are driving on under-inflated tires which
means the wheel failure is resulting in tire damage.

MCTalley

I reported mine. Also, my trailer was stationary both times and wheel replaced before moving again (or using the spare in the interim), so I haven't replaced my tires.

justafordguy

I have TPMS and had no air loss while traveling. My tire went flat several days after returning home from my trip a few weeks ago.

justafordguy

I just received the replacement wheel from Tredit last night. Only took them about a week to get this to me. I'll take it next week to get it mounted and balanced.

tireman9

I just received the replacement wheel from Tredit last night. Only took them about a week to get this to me. I'll take it next week to get it mounted and balanced.

Glad you got free replacement as you should. are they paying for mounting & balancing?

Did you file complaint with NHTSA?

SLO

I have the Tredit rims rated at 110 psi, and Sailun tires rated at 110 psi. I inflate the tires to 110 psi cold. When I’m going down the road the tires can get up to 120 psi. Does mean I’m 10 psi over the rim rating?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

I have the Tredit rims rated at 110 psi, and Sailun tires rated at 110 psi. I inflate the tires to 110 psi cold. When I’m going down the road the tires can get up to 120 psi. Does mean I’m 10 psi over the rim rating?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe the rated inflation maximum on tires and rims includes the assumption that pressure will increase at you drive.

57chevyconvt

I haven't read all the responses to this post, but when I saw that welding was used to seal the cracked rim I felt that I needed to respond by cautioning anyone on welding or having a aluminum rim welded to seal the crack. Welding and welding processes have been my field of endeavor for a period of 64 years for which I am certified in welding for all metals with nearly all processes. I am surprised that in this day and time that a welder would assume the liability of welding on a cast aluminum rim. I certainly would not.

justafordguy

Glad you got free replacement as you should. are they paying for mounting & balancing?

Did you file complaint with NHTSA?

They did not offer to pay but my tire guy didn't charge me anything to remount/balance.

I didn't file any complaint, what is the process?

tireman9

I believe the rated inflation maximum on tires and rims includes the assumption that pressure will increase at you drive.

Yes it is industry standard to talk about "cold" ( ambient temperature) inflation pressures as it is well known that tire temperature and pressure will increase by 10 to 25%

- - - Updated - - -

Go to NHSTA.gov and find the “report a problem” link.

Here is the quick link

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't read all the responses to this post, but when I saw that welding was used to seal the cracked rim I felt that I needed to respond by cautioning anyone on welding or having a aluminum rim welded to seal the crack. Welding and welding processes have been my field of endeavor for a period of 64 years for which I am certified in welding for all metals with nearly all processes. I am surprised that in this day and time that a welder would assume the liability of welding on a cast aluminum rim. I certainly would not.

Absolutely agree.
The wheels are cracking but no one has identified the reason. Bad mfg process or off-spec Aluminum are high probabilities. So if the Aluminum is off spec what filler rod would a welder use. The intended aluminum alloy is not known and there is a possibility that even if it were known the wheel really may not be that alloy so how does a competent welder weld an unknown alloy that has an unknown problem (contamination) ?

ONL:Y proper action is to have all the suspect defective wheels replaced. The MFG may be able to identify by batch(s) but that assumes the wheels are properly identified in the first place.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Some of the problems with aluminum castings that I recall from my lab days were inclusions and cold shuts. Another was not putting a radius in corners that will be stressed. Sharp corners are not good for castings or plastic moldings, for that matter.

WillyBill

Found out that Tredit will not warranty Broken/Cracked/Exploded rims unless you are the original owner of the trailer and have a receipt showing you bought the trailer new. So their Lifetime Warranty is not lifetime. Don't ask me how I know:p.

WB

tireman9

Found out that Tredit will not warranty Broken/Cracked/Exploded rims unless you are the original owner of the trailer and have a receipt showing you bought the trailer new. So their Lifetime Warranty is not lifetime. Don't ask me how I know:p.

WB

NHTSA doesn't care if you are 1st owner or not when they order a part recall.