Factory Aluminum Wheels - What I've Learned

floridarandy

Replacing Tires on Factory Aluminum Wheels - What I've Learned

2009 Sundance 2900MK. 13,000 GVWR, 11,000 most recently at scales.

Wanted to replace factory Mission 235/80R16E tires on Factory aluminum wheels and factory 6K Lippert axless.

What I've Learned:

1. PSI of wheel was not scribed on the visible portion of the wheel when mounted. Heartland thought 110 PSI but it turns out its 80 PSI (supplier confirmed) so Goodyear G614's are out unless I'm going to replace all 5 wheels as well as tires...not this time around. Factory wheel rated at 3042 max weight anyway making the G614's overkill even if PSI had worked;

2. Decided on Maxxis M8008 ST in 235/80R16E (10 ply). 3420# max weight per tire. HARD to find despite generally favorable reviews. Commercial guy closest to me actually found em in a warehouse and we agreed ONLY if DOT dates were 6 months or less...5 total with tax, mount and balance $992;

3. Factory spare tire wheel is a white painted wheel with a 3800 max weight and no visible PSI etching. I hate the idea that a brand new tire sits under the rig and never sees the road. Decided if I was going to buy 5 new tires I'd run the spare in a rotation with the other 4 to extend the wear across all 5. Only problem was it wouldn't match the factory aluminum wheels....no problem....i'll just get a 5th aluminum wheel...

4. Not so easy it turns out. Heartland reports design of wheel has changed and supplier wheel that's available is similar but won't look the same. Factory aluminum wheels are supplied by Tredit Tire and Wheel who apparently supply many RV manufacturers with wheel and tire assemblies. Warehouses around the country so easy to work with directly. I reached out to all 7 warehouse locations by email. No one has the old design, only the new design Heartland reported....UNTIL, it turns out, that someone in the Elkhart warehouse recognizes this as the "light" duty wheel they phased out in 2009. New design is a 110PSI 3750 pound wheel....to take G rated tires. Well, it turns out they have 1,100 of my wheel in stock! After the new design change all other warehouses shipped their left-overs to Elkhart where they sit. Mine with shipping turned out to be less than $90.

So, after reading more about tires and wheels than i ever thought i wanted to know we're done for this time around. The new Maxxis tires go on the 4 existing wheels and get balanced this Saturday. Already had new metal valve stems (Myers Tire) for our TST TPMS so this is an easy changeout. Next week the new wheel comes in and will get the 5th new Maxxis and a metal valve stem. Now all 5 can be rotated and balanced regularly. Heaven forbid that if we have a tire failure there's at least a factory aluminum wheel and tire all ready to change out.

Next time around I'll save up for the 5 new 110 PSI wheels and Goodyear G614's. Would have cost about $1000 more for that setup now so we decided to wait. Maybe 3 or 4 years from now we'll be in a position to put more long distance mileage on to take advantage of the Goodyears. For now I'll feel comfortable that we have an upgrade over the approx 3 year old Missions (which the previous owner and I have NEVER had a problem with).

So, don't ever stop digging for information. Dont' accept the first information as FACT....VERIFY....and shop around to save.

Randy

grizzlygiant

Re: Replacing Tires on Factory Aluminum Wheels - What I've Learned

Spending money on a high quality spare and a matching rim does not make $$ sense to me. I have 30K miles on my 614's and they show very little wear---never rotated. I am sure they will be out dated before worn out. My China Bomb spare on it's white rim has never been on the ground.

floridarandy

sadly i've heard stories of spare deterioration and delam immediately after putting it on the rig. often they dont' have enough air as well. in this case i'm going to rotate the spare and other 4 when i have them rebalanced annually. everybody gets time on the ground.

glad you've not had any problems.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084

good Choice Randy. I did the same thing a year ago. I wanted the 614's or the michelin Ribs. Tire pressure was a big problem on my wheels, and the space between the tires was to small. The 614's and ribs were larger in diameter. I got the maxxis fit just right and in a year no problems. Good Luck

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Randy, I think you'll be happy with the Maxxis tires. I wouldn't worry about moving up to 614's in the future.