Family Vacation to the West from Louisiana

WalkTheLine

Hi everyone,

I am trying to plan our first major family vacation in our travel trailer. My wife, the two kids, and I want to take two weeks to see the West but the main thing we want to visit is the north rim of the Grand Canyon. We have 2 weeks in mid-September (2018) set aside for this. We live near New Orleans and not familiar with all the things to see and do and stay out there. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start?

I would guess route planning would be first-- we are comfortable doing 8-10 hours a day but would like to break it up in shorter segments if possible with the longer ones being early on and towards the end. For example, NOLA to outside Dallas day 1, then shorter routes from there and on way back say San Antonio to NOLA the last day. I would like to make it a loop and hit North Rim of the GC, Dead Horse State Park, and who knows what else. Any particular sites we should aim for? I want to make sure we are able to get reservations, etc so trying to start ASAP if not too late already...

So, where do I start? A good old fashioned Rand McAlly Road Atlas? Do they even make them anymore? j/k, thanks in advance!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We use the Good Sam trip planner for all of our trips, and also RV park reviews to find other parks not on the Good Sam site as well as to get the park reviews.

mlpeloquin

Well I replied prior to this, but for the first time my computer froze on this site when I hit submit reply. Good Sam parks by map. http://www.goodsamclub.com/search-b...9.37301248046873&zoom=7&features=0&list=false Zoom in and it will show locations of the RV parks. Click the Good Sam Logo and it will give the name of the park and its address. You can then put the address in Google Maps and see just how long a drive it will be. As mentioned above, there is Good Sam trip planner. https://www.goodsamcamping.com/plan/ Another is KOA. Scroll down and select a state and it will show you all the KOA parks in that state. On average KOA parks are a bit more than Good Sam parks. Camping World has a park guide that used to include state and local parks as well. I have not purchased one in several years. If you have a Camping World near you, you might want to check it out. If you belong to AAA, then AAA has teamed up with Woodall's to provide members information on camping parks. http://newsroom.aaa.com/2012/03/new...ffer-members-expanded-campground-information/

I found that staying in Sedona, AZ was a good point to see a lot. In a couple of days you can see Gerome, Slide Rock State Park, Red Rock State Park, Oak Creek Canyon, and South Rim Jeep Tour just to mention a few. Sedona has some if the most interesting and scenic places located close together. A little over an hour or so is Flagstaff where tours to the north or south rim can be done. So Flagstaff maybe the best location to view as much as one has an opportunity to see in a short of time. If you are planning to drive around the rim, you will find a lot of traffic and parking at view points jammed unless you are lucky. There are also train tours to the south rim from Williams, Arizona, which is about 30 miles west of Flagstaff, just off Interstate 40.

Oldelevatorman

A lot of good stuff for you already. Bring some winter clothes just in case and safe travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalkTheLine

Well I replied prior to this, but for the first time my computer froze on this site when I hit submit reply. Good Sam parks by map. http://www.goodsamclub.com/search-b...9.37301248046873&zoom=7&features=0&list=false Zoom in and it will show locations of the RV parks. Click the Good Sam Logo and it will give the name of the park and its address. You can then put the address in Google Maps and see just how long a drive it will be. As mentioned above, there is Good Sam trip planner. https://www.goodsamcamping.com/plan/ Another is KOA. Scroll down and select a state and it will show you all the KOA parks in that state. On average KOA parks are a bit more than Good Sam parks. Camping World has a park guide that used to include state and local parks as well. I have not purchased one in several years. If you have a Camping World near you, you might want to check it out. If you belong to AAA, then AAA has teamed up with Woodall's to provide members information on camping parks. http://newsroom.aaa.com/2012/03/new...ffer-members-expanded-campground-information/

I found that staying in Sedona, AZ was a good point to see a lot. In a couple of days you can see Gerome, Slide Rock State Park, Red Rock State Park, Oak Creek Canyon, and South Rim Jeep Tour just to mention a few. Sedona has some if the most interesting and scenic places located close together. A little over an hour or so is Flagstaff where tours to the north or south rim can be done. So Flagstaff maybe the best location to view as much as one has an opportunity to see in a short of time. If you are planning to drive around the rim, you will find a lot of traffic and parking at view points jammed unless you are lucky. There are also train tours to the south rim from Williams, Arizona, which is about 30 miles west of Flagstaff, just off Interstate 40.

Perfect! Just what I was looking for! I will check out Flagstaff and Sedona and the train tour as well. Thank you for taking the time to (re)type all that information. It is a slow day at work today so I hope to work on this. We belong to Good Sam and AAA so I guess I should have checked there first! Will do so now.

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

We use the Good Sam trip planner for all of our trips, and also RV park reviews to find other parks not on the Good Sam site as well as to get the park reviews.

Good idea. We belong to Good Sam and didn't know about the trip planner. Thanks for the heads up!

Lynn1130

Keep in mind that the North Rim is 5 1/2 hours or more depending upon traffic from Phoenix. Sedona is an hour from Phoenix, that means 4.X hours to the North Rim from Sedona and you have to drive back out through all of the tourist traffic to I-17 to go to the North Rim. I would suggest that you look at all of the parks in southern Utah and combine those with the North Rim. You can also include Lake Powell in that venture. Sedona and Flagstaff are nice but not what you will find with the Utah parks. You will get Sedona several times over with Zion, and some of the others without the rows of western tourist shops and NAU students plugging things up. And the train tour is the South Rim. Flagstaff and Sedona are suited to a South Rim venture not North. There are two ways to get to the North rim from the South. Hike the canyon from rim to rim, or drive back south to I-40 (an hour) then to Flagstaff and then 4+ hours north and west to the North Rim.

In September, you will be fine but do not wait until later as the North Rim can close anywhere from mid October to November depending upon weather and will not open again until Spring.

That is my wife standing on the cliff in Zion.

Attachments

• P8190008.jpg
    P8190008.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 40

rmaglone

Make sure you all go to Utah and view Zion National Forest and all the others. Most beautiful place in the USA.

WalkTheLine

Keep in mind that the North Rim is 5 1/2 hours or more depending upon traffic from Phoenix. Sedona is an hour from Phoenix, that means 4.X hours to the North Rim from Sedona and you have to drive back out through all of the tourist traffic to I-17 to go to the North Rim. I would suggest that you look at all of the parks in southern Utah and combine those with the North Rim. You can also include Lake Powell in that venture. Sedona and Flagstaff are nice but not what you will find with the Utah parks. You will get Sedona several times over with Zion, and some of the others without the rows of western tourist shops and NAU students plugging things up. And the train tour is the South Rim. Flagstaff and Sedona are suited to a South Rim venture not North. There are two ways to get to the North rim from the South. Hike the canyon from rim to rim, or drive back south to I-40 (an hour) then to Flagstaff and then 4+ hours north and west to the North Rim.

In September, you will be fine but do not wait until later as the North Rim can close anywhere from mid October to November depending upon weather and will not open again until Spring.

That is my wife standing on the cliff in Zion.

That's awesome! I was looking at the Good Sam planner and I think we will stay north like you suggested, see Zion and Dead Horse. We have family in Cedar City so may try to swing out that way as well.

Lynn1130

Rather than edit what I have already posted I will add this. Consider that you have at least 2 days going, and two days returning home from the North Rim. If you sight-see between those you add several days. That is a week of your trip. With that in mind consider what is available in Arizona and Utah. That may help plan your trip. And locations in the West are hours apart as compared to other places. Just some places to consider along with the North Rim. Lake Powell, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands and Monument Valley. A few years ago we did the west side NPs in Utah and then crossed over and did the east parks coming back down through Monument Valley. There is also Mesa Verde in Colorado near by (in our travel times :)).

More for your consideration but don't drop the idea of the North Rim to see others. I always recommend it and we take out of country friends there. Much more to see and more pristine compared to the South Rim which is tour buses and large crowds.

As previously mentioned Good Sam has a good planning site and I would recommend reservations.

WalkTheLine

Rather than edit what I have already posted I will add this. Consider that you have at least 2 days going, and two days returning home from the North Rim. If you sight-see between those you add several days. That is a week of your trip. With that in mind consider what is available in Arizona and Utah. That may help plan your trip. And locations in the West are hours apart as compared to other places. Just some places to consider along with the North Rim. Lake Powell, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands and Monument Valley. A few years ago we did the west side NPs in Utah and then crossed over and did the east parks coming back down through Monument Valley. There is also Mesa Verde in Colorado near by (in our travel times :)).

More for your consideration but don't drop the idea of the North Rim to see others. I always recommend it and we take out of country friends there. Much more to see and more pristine compared to the South Rim which is tour buses and large crowds.

As previously mentioned Good Sam has a good planning site and I would recommend reservations.

Thanks! Looking at all that right now on Good Sam. Tried to make a rez at GC North Rim and panicked as it shows all full but then I realize (I think) the booking window is 6 months out so will try again March 1.

Lynn1130

There is an RV park in Jacob's Lake which is outside the Park and about 20 miles from the Rim. I have never stayed there so can't tell you how good or bad it might be.

North Rim is closed and won't open until May so I am not sure what their reservation calendar is.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
[SUP]We just took 6 weeks for an out west trip and I can say that the north rim was the not near as scenic as the south rim and so much to see around Sedona also. We stayed in Williams Az as our base camp and it was great![/SUP]

Lynn1130

We just took 6 weeks for an out west trip and I can say that the north rim was the not near as scenic as the south rim and so much to see around Sedona also. We stayed in Williams Az as our base camp and it was great!

No offense but I think you missed the North Rim completely. It is 1000 feet higher, 1/10 the tourists, and so many more "points" to view from than the South. Sure it does not have the crowded hotels/resorts and tour buses but if you are looking for tourist trap then you will find it in the South Rim. If you are looking for pristine, and how the Canyon was before the tour companies found it then go to the North Rim. Sorry but I am biased simply because the North Rim is the Canyon before the ecology was destroyed not after.

I have lived in Arizona for 45 years and there is so much more to see than Sedona. While pretty and red, it is touristy and caters to the Europe crown that are looking for cowboys. I like Williams, I just drove back from there this afternoon, where we traveled to the North Pole on the Polar Express with the grand-kids. This was the 12th year and we camp in that area during the summer. But again Williams is not Arizona in a nutshell. Nor is it the West and Route 66 as we would like to remember it.

Just as a guide. I suggest that those that want to visit the North Rim, research, especially via Arizona Highways back issues that have a wealth of information on back-roads to take and "points" to venture to and explore. If you go to the lodge, walk down to the lookouts and spend a few minutes there, you missed it completely. Most of the side roads are accessible by car and too many times we read the travel guides and miss the entire trip. I cannot tell you how much more we have found in the US and in foreign countries by exploring.

Mrsfish

No offense but I think you missed the North Rim completely. It is 1000 feet higher, 1/10 the tourists, and so many more "points" to view from than the South. Sure it does not have the crowded hotels/resorts and tour buses but if you are looking for tourist trap then you will find it in the South Rim. If you are looking for pristine, and how the Canyon was before the tour companies found it then go to the North Rim. Sorry but I am biased simply because the North Rim is the Canyon before the ecology was destroyed not after.

I have lived in Arizona for 45 years and there is so much more to see than Sedona. While pretty and red, it is touristy and caters to the Europe crown that are looking for cowboys. I like Williams, I just drove back from there this afternoon, where we traveled to the North Pole on the Polar Express with the grand-kids. This was the 12th year and we camp in that area during the summer. But again Williams is not Arizona in a nutshell. Nor is it the West and Route 66 as we would like to remember it.

Totally agree. I'm a native and while I appreciate the south rim for what it is- I LOVE the north rim. And the trip to see it, including the Vermillian cliffs on the way to Lees Ferry. So much history in the area

Lynn1130

Thanks. I thought of and forgot to mention the Cliffs and I fished Lee's Ferry for many many years. Combine that part of Arizona with all of the beauty in the NP's in nearby Utah and it is pretty hard to beat. If one is going to visit Sedona, then that is pretty much it for that area. There are a few other points of interest but not what you will find in and around the North Rim and Utah. I did mention, but it needs to be mentioned again, Monument Valley and the sites on the Navajo Rez just add more fuel to the site seeing fire.

WalkTheLine

[SUP]We just took 6 weeks for an out west trip and I can say that the north rim was the not near as scenic as the south rim and so much to see around Sedona also. We stayed in Williams Az as our base camp and it was great![/SUP]

I am still working on planning so that tip certainly helps. I have been to the south side before but Sedona sounds good...will see what we can work out. Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I thought of and forgot to mention the Cliffs and I fished Lee's Ferry for many many years. Combine that part of Arizona with all of the beauty in the NP's in nearby Utah and it is pretty hard to beat. If one is going to visit Sedona, then that is pretty much it for that area. There are a few other points of interest but not what you will find in and around the North Rim and Utah. I did mention, but it needs to be mentioned again, Monument Valley and the sites on the Navajo Rez just add more fuel to the site seeing fire.

Adding these to the list...may have to stay longer!!! 2 weeks may not be enough but hard to get off work more than that amount of time.

Lynn1130

Adding these to the list...may have to stay longer!!! 2 weeks may not be enough but hard to get off work more than that amount of time.

Honestly, I would not add more than what you can do in the time you have but we have listed a number of selections and it then is up to you to time it out with what you want to see.

If you are set on the North Rim, personally I would forget anything from the South Rim south. Your travel time from Sedona and surrounding area will take up a day to the North Rim with setup/take down fuel stops sightseeing stops, etc. I would combine Sedona, Jerome and the South Rim but keep in mind Jerome is an old mining town hanging on a cliff and is not large RV friendly. That is pretty much it for sightseeing in that area. If you want to do the train from Williams to the Canyon it will add some adventure but plan at least a day for all of that. I know everyone visiting falls in love with Sedona and it certainly is worth the visit but after you have driven around town, stopped at the various sites and shopped the shops that is the day and there is no more to see. Someone mentioned Slide Rock, crowds of NAU students and no place to park. If you do go to Sedona and you have a car or truck you can make the drive up toward the airport and stop at the lookout to view Sedona from above.

I am, however, pushing the North Rim and Utah NP's because there is at least a week of fabulous sightseeing. I have sent people from all over Europe, and taken as many that route and it never fails to wow them.

We have given you some ideas, the rest is up to you. Have fun and take lots of photos.

Attachments

• P8190003.jpg
    P8190003.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 34
  • P8190019.jpg
    P8190019.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 32
  • P8190017.jpg
    P8190017.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 31

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Lynn1130, I guess we missed it on the north rim because all we knew to do was the lodge area and a few back roads. Still, it was beautiful, but wish we had known to see all that you mentioned.

WalkTheLine

Honestly, I would not add more than what you can do in the time you have but we have listed a number of selections and it then is up to you to time it out with what you want to see.

If you are set on the North Rim, personally I would forget anything from the South Rim south. Your travel time from Sedona and surrounding area will take up a day to the North Rim with setup/take down fuel stops sightseeing stops, etc. I would combine Sedona, Jerome and the South Rim but keep in mind Jerome is an old mining town hanging on a cliff and is not large RV friendly. That is pretty much it for sightseeing in that area. If you want to do the train from Williams to the Canyon it will add some adventure but plan at least a day for all of that. I know everyone visiting falls in love with Sedona and it certainly is worth the visit but after you have driven around town, stopped at the various sites and shopped the shops that is the day and there is no more to see. Someone mentioned Slide Rock, crowds of NAU students and no place to park. If you do go to Sedona and you have a car or truck you can make the drive up toward the airport and stop at the lookout to view Sedona from above.

I am, however, pushing the North Rim and Utah NP's because there is at least a week of fabulous sightseeing. I have sent people from all over Europe, and taken as many that route and it never fails to wow them.

We have given you some ideas, the rest is up to you. Have fun and take lots of photos.

Indeed I have some great tips and ideas from everyone...thanks! I think we will go for the North Rim, Zion, and Dead Horse SP in sort of a clockwise loop. Getting through the tunnel at Zion will be interesting! I will post my planned route as soon as I have it done on Good Sam and get the reservations. Thanks again!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Been to the south rim, but not to the north rim yet!

Might do that this spring!

TruckAtGrandCanyon-IMG_3537.jpg
Before the Prowler . . .