Fifth Wheel Hitch

theroes

I am looking at getting a 33ck and was wondering what hitch everyone recommends? I looked at the pullright slider but don't think i need it because of the way the greystone is designed. I have a 2011 2500Hd with the D-max. Also would I need airbags?

Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Theroes, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to share information. There are many helpful people here.
Everyone has their own personal preference for most things we buy. The hitch is no different.
I agree you will not need a slider. But I would recommend one of at least 16K capacity.
I personally have a Curt hitch.
You will get more opinions here.

Peace
Dave

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
as it was said earlier - you will get opinions. I have a 2500 short bed and decided to purchase the sliding hitch - if for nothing else, insurance for when I forget about 88deg and the fact that to back into my yard I need to go beyond 90deg ( I did not know that before I purchased )

Kevin

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would not buy a slider again. I had a short bed 2500 and made more than a few over 90* turns many times. I did however soil my shorts the first time I did. I have a long bed now so it does not matter now.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hey Dave,

As you can see from my signature we are another vote for the Q5!!

Situations like Kevin (Recumbant615) are rare, however I did anguish over whether I should have a slider when purchasing our first 5th wheel a year ago. But like Recumbant615, consider your storage situation and make the right choice for you.......if storage is good, I would not worry about campgrounds and "normal" driving scenarios. Now that I am no longer a "rookie" with over 25 weekends of camping around the Carolinas, I would not be concerned with the added expense of the slide........I have a very tight cul de sac to turn in near the house and I do get dawg-gone close to the 90 degree pivot!! (truck is the 2500HD CC with standard bed)

On the airbag question....YES! I added them about 2 months after our purchase and they greatly improved the ride.

Good luck with your purchase........you will love the Heartland "community"!!!

Lance

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Dave,

I have used the Reese Slider in my Ford Short bed F250 and had no issues and knowing I have extra leadway if needed was comforting. Presently I am selling my Reese Slider that was used about 10-12 times over the past 5 years and most of it being last years as we were new to HOC. Recently I brought a F350 Dually and do not need the slider hitch so I am selling it. PM me for more info and pricing and pictures if you are interested in a great deal. I could help you save some money and I can get it out of my garage. Anything to help a fellow HOC member.

Jim

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Also would I need airbags? Dave

Regarding the airbags...I don't think you "need" them but those that use them say it does smooth things out and in some instances levels their trucks. We don't have them on our Chevy and it tows the Big Country without issue so far. Sits level without them but I think they might be an advantage on really rough roads!

Best Wishes!

theroes

Thank you all for the responses. I apologize for repeating the question that numerous others have asked in other treads. I didn't realize there was more to the forum areas. Hopefully we sell the jayco we have so we can get the Greystone.

Dave