Filling spare tire under 5ver with Air

kdubinwa

Just checked my spare tire on my new Bighorn. It is mounted underneath on the spare tire carrier. I'm looking for an easy and proven way to check and/or add air without dropping the spare on the carrier.

First thing I noticed is the tire is mounted with the valve stem facing the underbelly so I will have to drop the tire carrier to add air. The dealer happened to mention that putting the spare tire carrier back up can be a challenge because it compresses the tire against the underbelly and they have had to use a jack with some lumber under the wheel --- just to get the tire up and everything square before the latch pin could be inserted.

Has anyone flipped their spare over so the valve stem faces down or does the underbelly mount require the spare to face up at the underbelly? Or has anyone tried valve extenders? I'm leery of extenders due to possible leaking but I need to get something worked out.

Thanks
Kurt

rxbristol

I understand the reason that the valve stem points upward is to protect the rim face from road debris. I just put a tire pressure monitor (TST 507RV) on my spare so I can always see what the pressure is.

Az_Ernie

Just checked my spare tire on my new Bighorn. It is mounted underneath on the spare tire carrier. I'm looking for an easy and proven way to check and/or add air without dropping the spare on the carrier.

First thing I noticed is the tire is mounted with the valve stem facing the underbelly so I will have to drop the tire carrier to add air. The dealer happened to mention that putting the spare tire carrier back up can be a challenge because it compresses the tire against the underbelly and they have had to use a jack with some lumber under the wheel --- just to get the tire up and everything square before the latch pin could be inserted.

Has anyone flipped their spare over so the valve stem faces down or does the underbelly mount require the spare to face up at the underbelly? Or has anyone tried valve extenders? I'm leery of extenders due to possible leaking but I need to get something worked out.

Thanks
Kurt
I flipped ours over and have not had any problems. Have no idea why tire is mounted with valve stem up???

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I flipped mine too. Getting it down was not a problem but have help handy to put it back up. I like being able to check the air pressure in the spare.

sjandbj

I drop the spare tire to add air and decided it was the last time I would do it again unless I need to use the tire.
I add a valve extender that is mounted out on the handle. This makes it easy to check and add air if needed. It has been on for a little over a year now and have had no problem with it leaking.

Steve

kdubinwa

Steve,

What brand/make of valve extender did you go with?

I drop the spare tire to add air and decided it was the last time I would do it again unless I need to use the tire.
I add a valve extender that is mounted out on the handle. This makes it easy to check and add air if needed. It has been on for a little over a year now and have had no problem with it leaking.

Steve

Geodude

BTW, it's a good idea to clean the unlocking bolt as well as the bolts and nuts that hold on the spare tire. They can corrode and seize. I found out the hard way, and now the unlocking bolt has been replaced with a secure pin. It's a pretty poor design, given the crud that flies under there.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I wonder if putting a tire cover on the spare under the 5'ver would keep the crud off?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I wonder if putting a tire cover on the spare under the 5'ver would keep the crud off?

I dunno, it might retain water if you drive in the rain.

I remember our first tire issue with TowMax. I had noticed uneven wear on a tire, so we called out insurance's roadside assistance to come change it. (We were newbies back then.) We had put a cable and padlock on the tire, shortly after buying the rig. Well, now 10 months later, the lock was so rusted we could not get the key in, even with wd40, penetrating oil, etc. etc.

We ended up buying some bolt cutters and cutting through the cable!

Since I read of the issues with this new tire mount under the rig on our Big Country, Tony tried it out -- it is a challenge -- you better have the tools you need handy to get it off the rack.

We added never-seize to all the bolts holding everything in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I remember our first tire issue with TowMax. I had noticed uneven wear on a tire, so we called out insurance's roadside assistance to come change it. (We were newbies back then.) We had put a cable and padlock on the tire, shortly after buying the rig. Well, now 10 months later, the lock was so rusted we could not get the key in, even with wd40, penetrating oil, etc. etc.

Since I read of the issues with this new tire mount under the rig on our Big Country, Tony tried it out -- it is a challenge -- you better have the tools you need handy to get it off the rack.

Maybe punching a couple of drain holes in the tire cover would help?

Rollin_Free

Ok I just can't resist asking this question. I'm no longer a 30 or even a 32 waist and the first time I saw a tire under a 5th wheel I knew I wouldn't be able to get under to get it with air in all the tires let alone if one is flat. I don't remember the actual make/model of trailer but i recall it was a small space and with a flat I just know it's gotta be worse.

Once I got trapped under a car carrier trailer when I pushed myself under the front to release a strap that was caught and quickly discovered I could go farther under the a frame tongue but going the other way to get out was impossible. It was about as close to panic as I have ever been so I'm very leery about going under something that provides me less than 4" of clearance. This gives me the willies just mentioning it but it is a very real concern.

There may very well be adequate height above the ground for most to get to the spare but for me I gotta have it on the rear bumper even if it's kinda a ugly sight. Sorry if I got off topic but this post was really starting to bring back that trapped feeling again.

Last edited:

macjj

I flipped mine over with no issues in 4 years. Also installed a TPMS so I don't have to check it, but occasionally have to fill it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Don't worry about it. Just have it checked when you go in for your annual bearing grease and brake check and keep your Viair 450 compressor in the rig when you travel.

Geodude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that's the ticket. I have lots of anti-seize lying around. Thanks for reminding me!

dbbls59

I carry a Viair compressor so I don't worry about the spare tire pressure. I'll air it up if and when I need it.

kdubinwa

I just flipped and rotated mine to make checking air easier. Thanks to your timely suggestions I remembered to never seize the wheel bolts and the release bolt on the carrier too.