Filling the fresh water tank with 2 vent tubes ?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I just filled up my fresh water tank for the first time on my Landmark 365 Ashland. As I was filling it after a while, water started coming out of the vent tube on the left side of the coach by the rear wheels. The same vent that leaks water all the time while I'm driving. I shut off the water and checked the levels and it was 2/3 full. Turn the water back on for a while longer, then water started coming out of the vent tube on the right side. Now it says it is full. I still have water coming out of the left side
So why is there 2 vent tubes?
Where are they in the tank ?
If there is a lower vent what good would that do for filling the tank to the top ?

danemayer

Here's a picture of a fresh tank with one of the overflows. A pex line gets attached to this and is routed out the side of the frame. The fitting is close to the top of the tank. Depending on how the coach is sitting, overflow will come out of whichever side is lowest.
DSC04474.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Trailer is level Dan
So is there a vent tube like that on both sides then ? Do you have anymore pictures of the tanks under there. Those always help me understand how things work.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I put cutoff fitting on the end of the vent tubes so my water won't slosh out while driving. Got to open them up when filling though. Once full you could close them

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I put cutoff fitting on the end of the vent tubes so my water won't slosh out while driving. Got to open them up when filling though. Once full you could close them

I thinking of doing the same thing. You would need to open one vent when your using the water pump so it doesn't vapor lock.

hoefler

When I repaired ours for the water tank falling out, I found I had 4 vents, 3 to the ground, 1 to the gravity fill. I removed 2 and installed a valve in the one remaining.

Gaffer

I was wondering why you travel with so much fresh water. These tanks are heavy when full and from what I have seen on previous posts, not all that well supported.

danemayer

These tanks are heavy when full and from what I have seen on previous posts, not all that well supported.
See the picture in Post #2. There's a metal frame being used to support the tank, at least on some models. That picture was taken in Plant #2 (Big Country, Bighorn, Landmark 365).

Lynn1130

I have three vents on mine. Each has a shut off so that when the first starts to overflow it can be shut off and then the same with the second. When the third begins to overflow the system will have 114 gals and my gauge reads full. I then stop filling and close off the final vent so that I do not dump water on the way to forest camping or elk camp. Without the valves I found that going over bumpy roads, I could drop 10 or more gals and that much water becomes important on on long stays.

Because I had a leak that damaged the particle board under the tanks I had them secured better and the 1/2 board replace with good 3/4 ply. They won't fall out.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Good to know
So are all 3 vents at different leaves in the tanks ?
I'll look for valves on line, is that 3/8 hose ?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

I think most have two vents and the vent that is located at the fill point. In my case the fill point vent was moved to below the bottom of the trailer so I have three coming out of the bottom cover. The fill point vent is too small and tends to block up with water if it has a low point dip so it will not breath. I did way with that problem point. The overfill tubes come out of the top of the tanks.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Let's see...114 gallons x about 10 pounds per gal = 1140 pounds. That is alot of extra weight to haul. Just saying....

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I put a couple of shut off valves on the vent lines today to keep my water it the tank where I need it instead of watering the roads.
36a1e5925bc11dfa74ebd6d0f0dbcbf9.jpg

I also put this piece of pex-line in the docking station to remind me to open the valve when I get to camp and set up.

88c7ce341c228a8ea0c5726edb48670f.jpg

We'll see if it works .

danemayer

Might be a good idea to put a reminder tag in the UDC so you remember to open them when filling the tank.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That's what the pex line is for... That's what will work best for me
That or a boxing glove that pops out and hits me when I open the door LOL
I seem to be very forgetful in my old age.