Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags on 2005 Chev. Silverado 2500 HD

Ornofrk

I am planning on installing Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags on the rear of my 2005 Chev. Silverado 2500 HD. The instructions seem straight forward and it does not look like it will be a hard job. Does anyone have any any tips re installing them that I should know about?

Jerry
2011 Big Horn 3670RL
2005 Chev. Silverado Duramax 2500HD

PSF513

I decided to have them installed on my 08 F-250. The place I had it done said it would take 2 hours max. Even with all the tools and a lift, they spent 3 hours 15 minutes. Probably would have doubled for me. Best 2 hours of labor I have spent in a long time.

The results were awesome. We just returned from the International Rally in Nashville and they really helped smooth out the roads (not completely but nothing will). Well worth the investment. Good Luck!

esbeasley

I did them in my garage on my '06 2500HD in about 2.5-3.0 hours. Just be sure you have checked the fit of the airline for the place you want it to go before you cut . It don't stretch :-(
That said, they really work nice with just a single fill valve (I put mine in the license plate hole).

RoadJunkie

I enjoyed the project on my truck and don't really know how long it took, everyone has a different pace anyway. It was a one person project for me and, since my truck was fairly new, I didn't have to pick a lot of dirt out of my hair and eyeballs during the install. So one tip would be to high-pressure wash the area around the install if you think it might need it. I don't know if you're planning to install the compressor kit, but I did not and don't find it to be a problem. If someone was giving me the compressor kit I would take it, but I just added pressure check of the the bags to my checklist. Mine were leaking, at one point, and I just tightened the valve stem which solved the problem. Apparently leaks at the stem is fairly common so be sure you torque them "firmly". Good luck, I love my setup.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I installed them myself in under 2 hours on my 2008 2500HD earlier this year. Next year it will be the compressor. Really was rather easy if you have any mechanical skills. I didn' even remove the tires

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Very simple install, you wont have any trouble with it. The compressor kit is well worth the money, get it. As for the earlier comment about not being able to lift the truck by the frame, ignore it. That is actually part of the install procedure if you read the instructions for the chevrolet. may be differnt for Fords, But airlift plainly states in the chevy instruction you can lift your vehicle with a frame lift and it wont hurt em.

Northern Virginia
My instructions said not remove the tires. I found it much easier with the tires removed (I have a bad habit of disregarding instructions ;) ). I probably did it in 3-4 hours in my garage. Not too hateful.

John

Peteyx

I have the on my '06 F250. Definitely makes a difference with the 5th wheel behind. One big caution is DO NOT use a tee fitting to fill. When you go around a corner, air from one bag will transfer to the other, making the body lean much more than without bags! Very small inconvenience to fill from two valves but worth it.

porthole

Retired
Just remember you can't lift the truck up by the frame after the install. (lift by the axles).

That would apply to a vehicle that has air bags only for suspension, maybe.

Somewhere on the site here I have some pics of mine in an 06 2500HD.

About 2 hours if I recall. Then some more time for the compressor. I also did the wireless Air Lift remote. That works great, and it gives the option of up to 4 fills (two axles, L & R).

The remote is a real benefit for me. I need to dump all the air to get out of my driveway. Once out - push a button and away it goes to my preset. Easy to adjust on the fly too. having a toy hauler and varying loads in the garage means varying the bags a bit.

Another advantage to the remote unit is that the pressure remains constant. As the bags heat up during the day the air dumps, cool off later in the evening, the compressor kicks in to maintain the desired set pressure.

Got my GM stuff from Kennedydiesel.com

lwmcguir

That would apply to a vehicle that has air bags only for suspension, maybe.

Somewhere on the site here I have some pics of mine in an 06 2500HD.

About 2 hours if I recall. Then some more time for the compressor. I also did the wireless Air Lift remote. That works great, and it gives the option of up to 4 fills (two axles, L & R).

The remote is a real benefit for me. I need to dump all the air to get out of my driveway. Once out - push a button and away it goes to my preset. Easy to adjust on the fly too. having a toy hauler and varying loads in the garage means varying the bags a bit.

Another advantage to the remote unit is that the pressure remains constant. As the bags heat up during the day the air dumps, cool off later in the evening, the compressor kicks in to maintain the desired set pressure.

Got my GM stuff from Kennedydiesel.com

In my oppinion this is the only way a TV should be outfitted. Just adds a bit of safety margin and comfort.

Vtxkid

I just installed these on my 08 Duramax and am very happy with the outcome... Install time about 2.5 hours with rear wheels removed...

rons5er

I put them on my 06 2500HD in April. Took me a little over 3hrs figuring in a few breaks for my junk back. Easy install. A lot of the work is done on the bench before the actual install. Only minor issue I had was repositioning the heat shield-no big deal. I didn't take the tires off mine but thats up to you. You will notice a big difference. I run 40# with our unit, but still am experimenting a bit on pressures. Great procuct and well worth the price. Good Travels