First Big Trip - CA to Montana

DesertThumper

Ready set go. Today we packed up our trailer for a two week journey starting from CA to Montana.

We are taking off on April 29th and headed to our first stop at Zion RV Resort in Utah for two days. We have a few things planned out once we arrive.

Our second over night stop will be Golden Spike in Brigham City Utah then to Bozeman Montana at the KOA for a few nights. We are attending my brother in laws graduation.

From there we will be at the in laws ranch in Central Montana to spend some time and help out at the ranch. Maybe do some fishing and atv riding before we head out and possibly taking some of the in laws back with us for a family outing back to CA in our rig.

After the ranch were off to Yellowstone Grizzly RV Resort for 3 days with the intension of touring and maybe some fishing activities. Our final last stops will be Golden Spike then to Zion RV Resort. Wish us luck!

wdk450

Al and Lisa - Have a great trip. It looks like you timed it well, it is supposed to be 86 degrees midweek here in Sacramento (its in the 50's today).

DesertThumper

Al and Lisa - Have a great trip. It looks like you timed it well, it is supposed to be 86 degrees midweek here in Sacramento (its in the 50's today).
Thanks Bill.

We left Zion this morning and the resort is a five star. On the way to brigham city, we spotted a sundance going south on interstate 15. Now we are docked for a nights rest at golden spike. We met a full timer in a big horn. Real nice guy from utah. Were heading out at 7am to bozeman. So far so good with everything. Having a great time. Keep my journal up to date within the next days or so.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Al and Lisa,

If you guys have the time to get up to Glacier it's well worth the trip. We did Glacier and Yellowstone last year and they are both amazing, however Glacier is one of the most beautiful places on earth. If you go, make sure you do the Red Bus tour.

Rod Ditrich

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Al,
Let me know when your going to be back at Zion. If we're not at the Utah Rally, we should be in Kanab. Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997

Last edited:

DesertThumper

Al and Lisa,

If you guys have the time to get up to Glacier it's well worth the trip. We did Glacier and Yellowstone last year and they are both amazing, however Glacier is one of the most beautiful places on earth. If you go, make sure you do the Red Bus tour.

Rod Ditrich

Thanks Rod. Would love to see Glacier but we are going to Yellowstone at the Grizzly Rv Resort on May 7-9. We took the 20 to the 191 today and pulled into Bozeman Koa for a few days for my brother in laws graduation at MSU. The drive to get to Bozeman was amazing except for the road construction being done pass big sky. The was not to bad maybe like 20 minutes. They are clearing a side of the mountain I guess to widen the road. The road is 12 ft wide and a temporary road to drive on. We had to drive real slow through it. If anyone plans to take the same route, you may want to check MT DOT site for the exact area of construction. It looks like it may go on for a while. Our trip to Zion was way to short. I wish we could have stayed at least 4-5 days to really see the park. But we are loking forward to checking out West Yellowstone. After Bozeman, were off to the ranch in central Montana for 3 days then to Yellowstone. Our last two stops will be in Utah. Thanks for your thoughts Rod.

DesertThumper

Al,
Let me know when your going to be back at Zion. If we're not at the Utah Rally, we should be in Kanab. Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997

Trace,

We wil be arriving at Zion off Highway 9 on May 11 for one night. The Zion Park is amazing. We need more time to really check oit the park. Now we know what to expect and plan ahead for next time. Hopefully in a few months?

Al

DesertThumper

Nice weather today at Bozeman. Attended Matt's graduation and had dinner with the in laws. Also picked up four additional DEF for the trip back at Walmart. We will be heading to Central MT at the ranch for three days. Not looking forward to the driving conditions tomorrow.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Al, glad things are going well. MT. weather report....ya might get some rain for the next couple of days. As to road construction... that very normal this time of year. Can't fix roads when there is snow and ice around. Any place in the mid-west you will road construction this time of year. Be safe and keep the shiny side up.

Grey Ghost

Hi Al, you guys have fun and be safe out there. My daughter went to college in Bozeman so we have spent some time camping in the mountains around there, beautiful country and I'm sure you will enjoy it a bunch. We stayed in a campground in Livingston and it was nice, cannot remember the name of the place. Also Zion is a beautiful spot, we were up there a couple of years ago and just loved it.

DesertThumper

Thanks for all your replies. Our trip is going great! It's funny that I haven't missed my house yet. Were headed to Yellowstone tomorrow morning for four days. Luckily it is only a few hour drive from the ranch. Thanks again.

DesertThumper

Our plans have changed for yellowstone due to weather conditions. Now we are back in bozeman for an overnight. Were heading back to Zion National Park for three days and tour the 8 sections they offer. Tires, trailer and truck doing well. We are having a great time overall. We've done so many unique things along our daily journey. Hope everyone is doing well. I will post some of our pics when we get back home next week.

Take care!

DesertThumper

Hi Al, you guys have fun and be safe out there. My daughter went to college in Bozeman so we have spent some time camping in the mountains around there, beautiful country and I'm sure you will enjoy it a bunch. We stayed in a campground in Livingston and it was nice, cannot remember the name of the place. Also Zion is a beautiful spot, we were up there a couple of years ago and just loved it.
Hi Larry. Matt's graduation was a long one but all worth the support. Bozeman is nice and so much has been built around here. It seems very up to date here. You must be talking about bear canyon rv or sunshine campground? We are doing a part two for Zion since Yellowstone weather is not all that great. Maybe next year we will try again.

DesertThumper

Al, glad things are going well. MT. weather report....ya might get some rain for the next couple of days. As to road construction... that very normal this time of year. Can't fix roads when there is snow and ice around. Any place in the mid-west you will road construction this time of year. Be safe and keep the shiny side up.
Yes sir bob. Construction everywhere. Our friend works for MT DOT and informed us too. Everything is good. Thanks Bob for your insights before we headed out to MT.

Take care,

Al

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well Al, sorry about Yellowstone. Weather man said rain this week. Its dry and warm here and in Utah. Just a little insite into the N.West and Mid-West. "if you don't like the weather now.....wait 10 minutes". That goes for any month of the year.

DesertThumper

Thanks for all your replies. A strong wind and thunderstorm knocked out the power for two hours here at Zion River Rv Resort. There was a Big Horn across the ways with their awning up and the wind was blowing hard and decided to give a hand to help save from flying or breaking away. This is during the power melt down for the entire campground and very strong wind occuring. That was crazy... It lasted for two hours and the power seem to be back up and running now. But the winds are still blowing pretty hard over here.

Well, this Monday is our return date back to home. What a great adventure. Zion is a place I will come back and visit. There are so many wonderful people we have met along our journey and exchanging current and past life experiences being shared. What a first big trip experience I will always remember and treasure.

Al & Lisa

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Al.....Glad you had a good time. Just a note that the winds are blowing hard down here in So. Cal. also.
Be careful driving have a safe drive.