First time pulling 32 ft trailer w SRW

dave10a

Some good advise provide on this thread. In addition, One should check the drivers license laws for their state to assure legality. Even if your state does not require a class A or B non CDL, one should know those requirements anyway. Especially what to do when a break down occurs and what roads are legal to travel on.

Dreamer7

Some good advise provide on this thread. In addition, One should check the drivers license laws for their state to assure legality. Even if your state does not require a class A or B non CDL, one should know those requirements anyway. Especially what to do when a break down occurs and what roads are legal to travel on.

Are there states you really need CDL? tes, there were so many great pointers on a variety of topics that really helped educate me. I'm still afraid to turn right or left though if there is anything at the corner of the turn (street sign, etc). I'll keep watching the wheels.

- - - Updated - - -

I have my brakes adjusted so they don't grab, but cause drag.

You don't need the trailer brakes to stop you . . . but to help stop you.

Yes, I'm hoping it's a less dramatic lurch when I turn down those brakes!

danemayer

Are there states you really need CDL?

I don't think any state requires a commercial license (CDL), but Texas requires a non-commercial Class A license for some heavy configurations, if you're a Texas licensee. But they haven't ever enforced that law. California also has some special license requirements for their licensees with heavy configurations, but also doesn't enforce. There may be a few others. But I don't think any state is enforcing such requirements on RVs.

Generally speaking, each state respects the licensing of other states. So if you're legal in the state where you're licensed, you should be good to go anywhere in the U.S.

Dreamer7

I don't think any state requires a commercial license (CDL), but Texas requires a non-commercial Class A license for some heavy configurations, if you're a Texas licensee. But they haven't ever enforced that law. California also has some special license requirements for their licensees with heavy configurations, but also doesn't enforce. There may be a few others. But I don't think any state is enforcing such requirements on RVs.

Generally speaking, each state respects the licensing of other states. So if you're legal in the state where you're licensed, you should be good to go anywhere in the U.S.

Ok, thank you. Just thought of imp question. The antenna is up and I'm moving it (1.5 hr drive) tomorrow. How do I put it down? I don't want it to get caught on something like a low tree branch. Or do people usually travel with them up?

Thanks! Katy

danemayer

Ok, thank you. Just thought of imp question. The antenna is up and I'm moving it (1.5 hr drive) tomorrow. How do I put it down? I don't want it to get caught on something like a low tree branch. Or do people usually travel with them up?

Thanks! Katy

Inside, directly under the TV antenna you should have a rotating crank handle. There's a split ring on the same mechanism. Align the arrows on the split ring by pulling down on the bottom ring and rotating it. Then rotate the crank handle counter-clockwise (looking up at it) to lower the antenna.

Always a good idea to do a final walk around the trailer checking things like brake light and turn signal operation, double-check hitch connections. Take a quick look at tires, springs, stabilizers to see if everything looks normal. Make sure entry steps are up. And walk far enough away so you can see that the antenna is down.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Putting the TV antenna down is the very first thing I do when I'm getting ready to hitch up.

I also have a luggage tag that I hang from the antenna crank when it is up as a reminder that it is up.

ProwlerMaxxAirFrontDoneStorm-P1010871.jpg

Dreamer7

Putting the TV antenna down is the very first thing I do when I'm getting ready to hitch up.

I also have a luggage tag that I hang from the antenna crank when it is up as a reminder that it is up.

View attachment 52510

Thanks John.

- - - Updated - - -

Inside, directly under the TV antenna you should have a rotating crank handle. There's a split ring on the same mechanism. Align the arrows on the split ring by pulling down on the bottom ring and rotating it. Then rotate the crank handle counter-clockwise (looking up at it) to lower the antenna.

Always a good idea to do a final walk around the trailer checking things like brake light and turn signal operation, double-check hitch connections. Take a quick look at tires, springs, stabilizers to see if everything looks normal. Make sure entry steps are up. And walk far enough away so you can see that the antenna is down.

Ok, I've never seen anything like a crank inside the trailer. But I'll look again in the morning. Very clear directions though, so thank you. I've never heard of a split ring before.

Regarding the plug from trailer to truck, what's the best was to ensure it doesn't slip out en Route? I would think there's a locking mechanism connecting the two but apparently there isn't. Thanks again so much. It's great to have pros to reach out to.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Not all trailers have the crank up antenna. Yours may be a fixed omni-directional style.

Peace
Dave

Roller4tan

The cover on your plug outlet has a tang that catches the plug to hold it in place once the plug is all the way in. The tang is on the inside of the cover that flips up.

Dreamer7

Not all trailers have the crank up antenna. Yours may be a fixed omni-directional style.

Peace
Dave

ok bc I was panicking. I see no crank thing. Is it ok to drive with it up? About to leave and windy.

- - - Updated - - -

Peace
Dave

its only about six inches off roof and circular?