First time pulling 32 ft trailer w SRW

Kbvols

Katy

I highly doubt your truck has an exhaust brake unless it was added after market. Your trailer will have electric brakes do you have a brake controller on your truck for electric brakes?

Dreamer7

Katy,

I've attached a page from the Texas CDL study guide that has good advice on turns and a few other things.

That was great reading. Especially the info about railroad tracks, etc, more specifically the turn visual and detailed directions. So I guess it's legal to cross middle lane in a turn when pulling a large trailer. The 90 degree turn Pondscum mentioned will be a hurdle way down the road hopefully! :)

Dreamer7

Katy

I highly doubt your truck has an exhaust brake unless it was added after market. Your trailer will have electric brakes do you have a brake controller on your truck for electric brakes?

Yes, I do have a brake controller. He used it to pull 11 thousand pound boat. He did give me a write up of all additions to the truck and maintenance. I need to locate that... also there is some turbo something in the engine...lol. I'm so highly mechanically inclined. Lol. I did have truck thoroughly checked out by a Deisel expert and he said it looked super clean. So, do you think I might need an airlift system? That was suggested. Wondering if I only need it if there is a push up down feeling on the hitch? Thank you.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The 90 degree turn Pondscum mentioned will be a hurdle way down the road hopefully! :)

If you do a 90 degree turn with a bumper pull trailer, you will make contact with your truck.

So, do you think I might need an airlift system? That was suggested. Wondering if I only need it if there is a push up down feeling on the hitch? Thank you.

You are not pulling a 5th-wheel trailer, so you shouldn't need any kind of air bag setup with your 2500.

Try not to over think buying a bunch of stuff until after you pull a couple of times.

This will save you a lot of money in the long run!

Dreamer7

If you do a 90 degree turn with a bumper pull trailer, you will make contact with your truck.

You are not pulling a 5th-wheel trailer, so you shouldn't need any kind of air bag setup with your 2500.

Try not to over think buying a bunch of stuff until after you pull a couple of times.

This will save you a lot of money in the long run!

Ok, thank you for that! I was wondering how much of a turn I can make. I forgot he had a fifth wheel. I will be testing it out this week for sure. The delay is living on a two lane country road that has fast traffic and the fear I'll be blocking the road not backing in correctly (trees add to this). But it is time to give it a go!

Mattman

I went from a 24' TT to a 32'. My thoughts coming home from the dealership were. What did I just buy. After a few trips I wished I would have went a little bit bigger.

I think you will notice the NT spread axle backs up nice. I find it very forgiving. But They are hard to see around. I know a rear camera is on my list for one of these days.
Remember to watch your wheels or axles as for when you want to start turning. Not the back of the camper.

I move mine around by my self at my house. I place objects on the ground for markers. The depth perception of how far back your trailer is can be tuff. Put a piece of wood on the ground or something similar can be a good reference for back up. Go slow and check a few times to be sure. Plus make sure you are not in a hurray and jump out to look and leave your truck in reverse or drive. You can't get a full 90 deg turn with the TT like they said. But you can still cut a pretty good angel if you need to. Problem is it really makes it hard to Controll and get back strait. Use it only for a finishing touch if backing in.

If I recall the turn radius on those Chevy trucks are not super tight. But you will get the feel for it. So fill your truck up before you leave and yes, try to hit the truck stops.

But the NT tows great down the road. You'll be use to it in no time.

Dreamer7

I went from a 24' TT to a 32'. My thoughts coming home from the dealership were. What did I just buy. After a few trips I wished I would have went a little bit bigger.

I think you will notice the NT spread axle backs up nice. I find it very forgiving. But They are hard to see around. I know a rear camera is on my list for one of these days.
Remember to watch your wheels or axles as for when you want to start turning. Not the back of the camper.

I move mine around by my self at my house. I place objects on the ground for markers. The depth perception of how far back your trailer is can be tuff. Put a piece of wood on the ground or something similar can be a good reference for back up. Go slow and check a few times to be sure. Plus make sure you are not in a hurray and jump out to look and leave your truck in reverse or drive. You can't get a full 90 deg turn with the TT like they said. But you can still cut a pretty good angel if you need to. Problem is it really makes it hard to Controll and get back strait. Use it only for a finishing touch if backing in.

If I recall the turn radius on those Chevy trucks are not super tight. But you will get the feel for it. So fill your truck up before you leave and yes, try to hit the truck stops.

But the NT tows great down the road. You'll be use to it in no time.

Thank you very much! Yes, I have heard it pulls well and tomorrow I'm taking the plunge! I also agreed to deliver it to a friend an hour away to use for a 4h event so I'm going to have to grab the bull by the horns. Unfortunately in my yard I have a lot of trees (in fact bumped back into a tree w my odyssey this morning!) so I probably can't practice there. There was a small dent in the bumper (yes uncomfortable laughter!) that popped out by the time I got to my meeting today, so I'm taking that as an extra warning, as you said to get out and look!

Ill definitely use markers and practice backing up in a large parking lot. I'm going to hope the scoop method will help (turning toward then away from site you will eventually back into. I will let people know how tomorrow goes. If you want to know how I'm feeling check this out. I'm the girl at the beginning! Lol.

http://www.viralforest.com/girls-first-ski-jump/

i just saw that at a training yesterday and the timing couldn't be more perfect! Now one more question, someone mentionedhand at bottom of wheel turn toward direction you want trailer to go. I'll let you know by Thursday how it went. Saturday I'll be driving it about two hours away, so I'm forcing myself to do this by making a commitment to it. I'll be rereading a lot tonight! Lol

Thank you so much,
Katy

- - - Updated - - -

My old 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 had a much tighter turn radius than my 2015 Chevy 2500HD.

View attachment 52454 View attachment 52453

I'm honestly hoping that I won't need to make any tight turns in the next week! But I have watched the wheels when someone else was backing it in and I've seen the flexible give. So that is a good thing! Since I've only driven the Chevy a few times, the key words for me will be PLAN and SLOW!

Looking forward to accomplishing this Thursday!!

Dreamer7

Come on Katy.....give us the update. :confused:

Thank you for asking and everyone survived!! I didn't back in one time though bc I wanted to get off the road quick was a little stressed! Lol. A man's dog was running next to camper for about 20-30 feet, thankfully not in front of! I got a few honks for going 30 in a 55. Lol. Turning was a little frightening, and I realized you have to make sure NO ONE is coming for a long time, bc I turned left so slow and they kept coming! So then I sped up!! Lol. One under my belt!! First stop sign was a big wake up call!! Brakes we pretty hard so slam on take off slam on...that was a little jarring. I have to deliver it to Circleville bc I am letting a friend use it there...there's construction on 270 that makes me nervous. People drive so fast and it goes down to two lanes.

So, I realized I need a massive amount of planning, patience and focus! I was relieved to get it back off the road!! Lol. Also I turned Dow a road that winds along the river, gets so narrow down to nearly one made. Fortunately two cars came at safe distances bc there were some deep curves in there!! Then the dog I mentioned. I breathed a sigh of relief when back in the driveway!!! Whew. :). But was thinking if all the advice (or trying) and appreciating all the help to get to this point!! Lol. Tomorrow, backing up and checking tires (which I confess I didn't prior to driving).

Ok, and then I bought a boat to go with my camper! Any boat people out there? I decided to just take a deep plunge into pulling big trailers and more responsibility.

Sorry for so many exclamation points. :). Cheers, Katy.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/6172571780.html.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for asking and everyone survived!! I didn't back in one time though bc I wanted to get off the road quick was a little stressed! Lol. A man's dog was running next to camper, thankfully not in front of! I got a few honks for going 30 in a 55. Lol. Turning was a little frightening, and I realized you have to make sure NO ONE is coming for a long time, bc I turned left so slow and they kept coming! So then I sped up!! Lol. One under my belt!! First stop sign was a big wake up call!! Brakes we pretty hard so slam on take off slam on...that was a little jarring. I have to deliver it to Circleville bc I am letting a friend use it there...there's construction on 270 that makes me nervous. People drive so fast and it goes down to two lanes.

So, I realized I need a massive amount of deliberation, patience and focus! I was relieved to get it back off the road!! Lol. Also I turned Dow a road that winds along the river, gets so narrow down to nearly one made. Fortunately two cars came at safe distances bc there were some deep curves in there!! Then the dog I mentioned. I breathed a sigh of relief when back in the driveway!!! Whew. :). But was thinking if all the advice (or trying) and appreciating all the help to get to this point!! Lol. Tomorrow, backing up and checking tires (which I confess I didn't prior to driving).

Ok, and then I bought a boat to go with my camper! Any boat people out there? I decided to just take a deep plunge into pulling big trailers and more responsibility.

Sorry for so many exclamation points. :). Cheers, Katy.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/6172571780.html.

PS I apologize for being so profuse. And multiple exclamation points and lol's. :))))

Mattman

You know what the two happiest days are of a boat owner?
The day they buy it. Then the day they sell it. Lol. And boat stands for: Bust Out Another Thousand.
Just an FYI

Dreamer7

You know what the two happiest days are of a boat owner?
The day they buy it. Then the day they sell it. Lol. And boat stands for: Bust Out Another Thousand.
Just an FYI

I heard that one already today. Lol. Well, since I'm a teacher I hope it doesn't break down until after Summer!! It ran great today! Luckily I know the boat mechanic who lives around the corner. But I don't know all his prices! Oh, BONUS the guy does auto body work and his prices are excellent. Will hope for the best. I did run boat by Boat mechanic.

I did not know acronym for the thousand bucks. Funny.
- - - Updated - - -

JohnD

Do you plan on trying to pull that boat behind your camper :confused:

I had a boat before RV'ing.

The boat led to renting a house on a lake . . . then buying a house on the same lake.

Funny how you never knew just how many friends you have until you buy a house on a lake!

Dreamer7

Do you plan on trying to pull that boat behind your camper :confused:

I had a boat before RV'ing.

The boat led to renting a house on a lake . . . then buying a house on the same lake.

Funny how you never knew just how many friends you have until you buy a house on a lake!

Nice! Water is really calming. If I could have a house on a lake, well that would be amazing!
Of course, prior to this someone else did all the work with the boat! Lol. Well the search resulting in current trailer began as a camper on the lake, at Sabo's on Indian Lake. Camper didn't have large window looking out over lake so we upgraded. But the spot is about the cost of the boat for just one season, so this seemed like a better deal.

No, Pulling boat behind this camper would be a recipe for disaster! Lol. Definitely out of the question!! Lol! But since I'm near two lakes with state campgrounds (including Alum Creek) and a river, I'm hoping to use boat with and without camping. I already have so much stuff I figured a boat can finish off the seasonal collection of toys. I hope I don't regret it. It seems like a pretty nice use of time (and friend catcher). ;)

Mattman

You said your brakes were slamming hard? That can be adjusted with your brake controller. Which model is it? Lower your gain may help. If it's a prodigy 3 model change your boost setting. Mine will jerk at low speeds if the boost is cranked up. If it's another model the gain will be a rotary dial on the side. Lower that some. You can raise it when on the highway. And lower it on side streets.

kf5qby

You survived, so you have the basics down. Now it is just a matter of practice, practice, practice. Once you learn how the truck and trailer react, you will be able to relax more and enjoy the trip.

Congrats on the trailer.

Dreamer7

You survived, so you have the basics down. Now it is just a matter of practice, practice, practice. Once you learn how the truck and trailer react, you will be able to relax more and enjoy the trip.

Congrats on the trailer.

Thank you!! :)

- - - Updated - - -

You said your brakes were slamming hard? That can be adjusted with your brake controller. Which model is it? Lower your gain may help. If it's a prodigy 3 model change your boost setting. Mine will jerk at low speeds if the boost is cranked up. If it's another model the gain will be a rotary dial on the side. Lower that some. You can raise it when on the highway. And lower it on side streets.

Ok, thank you. It's a 32 RLTS. There is a control panel under steering wheel I'll have to play with today. Yes, definitely more coasting to a stop than hard braking. I'll try this sometime today. Grateful weight distribution hitch was solid. I have to admit I was able to hook it up solo, which is a feat in itself getting it lined up. I know, I'm such a rookie! Lol

JohnD

I have my brakes adjusted so they don't grab, but cause drag.

You don't need the trailer brakes to stop you . . . but to help stop you.