First trip - a bit rough!

akf15e

Let me start by saying this is not a thread for me to vent - I have had 5 RVs and I know things will go wrong. Instead, I am looking for advice/suggestions on a number of issues. Five weeks after picking up our 2015 San Antonio, we finally got to take a trip in it. It did not start well. While loading and making sure everything was secure, I noticed the back of one of the recliners didn't seem "right". I lifted the material behind the chair and immediately saw that the OSB was cracked all the way through on one side. Of course, my first shock was that my furniture is made with OSB. Not what I expected in this rig. Second, it appeared someone had tried to repair the crack previously with staples. I was even more shocked that I would be sold a new rig with damaged furniture (my PDI does not include this, but will in the future). I inspected the other recliner and noted that it had a hairline crack in the same spot. I believe it is due to the way they ship the rig, with the recliners wedged back to back in the dinette slide. Luckily, we were going to stop at the dealer on the way to our campground to pick up a chair that had been ordered for the desk. I showed the dealer the chairs and they immediately put two new ones on order. Great service!! I'm not too confident in how long the new ones will last, but I won't travel with them back to back, so maybe all will be good.

So we got to the campground and at dinner that night, one of the back legs of the dinette chairs snapped off as I was sliding my chair back away from the table after dinner. And I mean snapped off like a twig!! (For the record, I weigh 180 lbs). Again, I called the dealer and told them what happened and they are going to put another chair on order. Good service x 2.

Two days later, my brother in law knocked on our door and told me water was dripping down underneath our rig. When I crawled underneath I immediately recognized the smell as galley water. My previous SOB was notorious for tank leaks ( the main reason I did not go with them a 3rd time), so I knew this wasn't good. I dropped a portion of the belly and water poured out. We spent the next 6 days washing dishes in a tub and trying to dry out the underbelly. The entire rig reeks of dirty water. I called the dealer and made an appointment for next week. Unfortunately it will be a 300 mile roundtrip ( x 2 ) to drop it off and pick it up later. Here is where I need the most advice. I do not want the tank (if it is the tank and not just a connection) repaired. I had a previous tank repaired and it leaked again within 18 months. I figure for a brand new rig, I should get a brand new tank. Am I wrong? Obviously the dealer hasn't even seen it yet, but I want to be prepared to ask for what makes sense. Also, the insulation was soaked and smells horrible. Is it within my rights to ask for new insulation underneath in the affected area? If not, I am worried about lingering odors in this nice rig. Suggestions?

Overall, had it not been for this tank, I would have called the trip a major success. The furniture will get replaced and we will just treat it with kid gloves in the future. I went over the entire rig with a fine toothed comb and was very happy and impressed with the workmanship and fit and finish compared to previous rigs. I just really hope the tank and the odor can be fixed to my satisfaction. Based on my dealer's reputation and response this far, I am optimistic. However, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Oh - one more thing. DW has said I need to ask how people clean the shower doors. They are the 3 part sliding doors (clear) that are supposed to be "self-squeegeeing". Not so much. Even though we have a hand squeegee, we get terrible streaks and water and junk trapped behind where the doors overlap. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

JanAndBill

Our BH had a cracked vent line close to the tank because of the lack of clearance. We also had a mess in the underbelly. They were able to repair the leak and dry everything out such that we haven't had a problem since.

As to the shower doors, we use a product called Shower Clean. You spray the doors and shower after use. Doors and walls dry clear.

danemayer

Hi Butch and Sharon,

If the tank actually has a leak I don't think you'll get any pushback on replacing it with a new tank. Replacing the wet insulation seems very reasonable. I don't think there's any alternative. And insulation is inexpensive.

If the tank is replaced, I'd stay nearby for a couple of days to fully exercise the plumbing systems. That way if they make any mistakes, you won't have a long round trip and you can probably get them to work on it while you wait.

B

BouseBill

At least yours was the gray tank. Our black tank had a crack in the top portion and Heartland replaced the tank, with new, this was on our 2011 Big Country. no repairs there.

In our new 2015 Big Horn, The dinning table has been replaced, one of the recliners replaced, the dining room chairs replaced, all with complete satisfaction of both the wife and I.
Overall satisfied so far.
I would not let them repair the tank, replace it with new and new insulation also.

Garypowell

On the shower you would be surprised how far apart you can move the overlapping glass. At the top and bottom you can use small bits of a rag to get in there.

Glass plus or WD-40 them after they are cleaned to keep them cleaner longer.

Birchwood

We had a leak at the top of our black tank when it was new.A temporary patch worked only a few days.
These tanks are fairly thin walled so lots of expansion and contraction.All the insulation under the tanks was replaced.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As a side note. You can always use an independant repair shop closer to home. Just call HL service and get prior OK first. HL might already have one near you now.

akf15e

I appreciate the inputs. Dropped it off today at the dealer with a list of mostly nuisance fixes and the bigger furniture and tank issues. They seem very proactive and willing to make everything right. Hopefully all will go well, though it will be a month before we get it back. I will keep in mind finding a local authorized repair place for future issues. $70 in gas to drop it off and another $70 to go get it next month is a bit painful.

Thanks again everyone.

Garypowell

I would call them at least twice a week to get an update. You don't want to be a pain but you do want them to know you care. Compare what you are told with previous conversations and if they say they bought parts for you check with supplier to insure they were ordered.

If if a part arrives that is not needed for a while make sure they inspect it to insure it is what they need.

Someone above asked above if they could put wd40 on new glass. I never have as I am usually doing other things first and need the shower. But I see no problem with it.

But out realize there is nothing perfect out there to protect the glass.

akf15e

From bad to worse....

OK, got my rig back from the dealer last Friday, supposedly fixed. Took 5 weeks (I won't even begin to go into the comedy of errors during that time). Departed for a 3 week trip on Monday and the grey water was leaking again within 24 hours. Add to that a water leak behind the UDC and things have gone from bad to worse. Definitely not impressed with the quality of this rig nor the service from the dealer. So here I sit unable to use nor dispose of water.

I had some JB water weld I tried to wrap around the water line connections where the leak is coming from, but it didn't work. I am trying to get through to the dealer to get them to authorize a mobile tech to fix the PEX leak. The tank we can live with by doing dishes in a dish pan and dumping the water. I see that workign with PEX requires an expensive crimping tool. Any other ideas. Anyone have success with any of the tapes that wrap around leaky connections?

My question is, should I be dealing with Heartland directly now, or through the dealer since I am still under warranty? I have no faith in the dealer's ability to fix the tank leak after what I dealt with the last 5 weeks.. The problem is that I don't know any reputable service places around me and the rvservicereviews.com only has one or two reviews for most places in NC - not much of a sample size.

Help!!!

danemayer

Hi akf15e,

I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They should be able to tell you what the dealer did to repair the tank leak and may be able to point you to another authorized service facility nearby.

As for the pex leak behind the UDC, Heartland might authorize use of a mobile tech, but typically you have to pay the travel time charge. Of course, that's often less than the cost and time involved in hauling the trailer to a dealer.

But pex repairs are usually not very difficult. You might want to spend the money on the pex tool ($50?) and a few fittings, crimp rings, and some spare pex tubing. If it's just a loose crimp ring, you can probably fix that in less time than it would take to ready the trailer for towing. If it's a leaking fixture, Heartland may be willing to send you the replacement fixture for you to install.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
From bad to worse....

OK, got my rig back from the dealer last Friday, supposedly fixed. Took 5 weeks (I won't even begin to go into the comedy of errors during that time). Departed for a 3 week trip on Monday and the grey water was leaking again within 24 hours. Add to that a water leak behind the UDC and things have gone from bad to worse. Definitely not impressed with the quality of this rig nor the service from the dealer. So here I sit unable to use nor dispose of water.

I had some JB water weld I tried to wrap around the water line connections where the leak is coming from, but it didn't work. I am trying to get through to the dealer to get them to authorize a mobile tech to fix the PEX leak. The tank we can live with by doing dishes in a dish pan and dumping the water. I see that workign with PEX requires an expensive crimping tool. Any other ideas. Anyone have success with any of the tapes that wrap around leaky connections?

My question is, should I be dealing with Heartland directly now, or through the dealer since I am still under warranty? I have no faith in the dealer's ability to fix the tank leak after what I dealt with the last 5 weeks.. The problem is that I don't know any reputable service places around me and the rvservicereviews.com only has one or two reviews for most places in NC - not much of a sample size.

Help!!!

My issues all got resolved when I got Heartland directly involved. Most dealers and service centers will NOT give you the best service for warranty repair is not how they make most of their money. When Heartland gets involved they start speeding things up. At least that is my impression.

akf15e

Thanks Dan and Fred. I am going to go directly to Heartland once this trip is over (which may be sooner than I wanted). I just put about a mile of stretch and seal tape on the leak behind the UDC (it's at the 3 way connection) and it has reduced it to a very slow drip - manageable. So right now we are back to being able to use water, but won't be able to put any down the kitchen sink until I can get it back into a repair place. Thanks for info on going to Heartland. I can't tell you how incredibly, thoroughly, absolutely unimpressed I am with the service department at this very large Heartland dealer. It was like a Keystone Cops or Marx Brothers routine every time I called.

ksucats

Stop by Lowes or Home Depot and look into the PEX Shark adapters. They don't need the crimping tool. They are a push the pex in and it works type - best way I can describe them. I have them on a couple of fittings in my coach and they have worked absolutely flawlessly and no drips.

Donhutch1800

We have had a cpl leaks in our San Antonio.I cut the pex clamps off and used small hose clamps from Home Depot.Easy to do and no more leaks.

akf15e

Update to my continued saga....I have now owned this rig 5 months at it has been in for repairs 3 times, totaling over 2 months. On every trip I have had something break, leak or fail. The latest involved the refrigerator not cooling on AC power. It works fine on propane, but not AC. We were on the road near our dealer so we swung by on Saturday and the tech took a look at it and found no problems. Voltages were good, no loose connections, heating elements were working. I think he thinks I am nuts because I was adamant it will not cool on AC power. So we drove the 3 hours home, I plugged in and 40 hours later my fridge remains at 94 degrees.

Figuring there is no point in continuing going in circles with my dealer. I called Heartland Customer Service and they said I'd have to cover the cost of a mobile tech ($160 when I checked on one). I get that this is their policy. but given the multitude of things I've had go wrong that prevent me from using my rig, I asked them to waive that policy. The first level customer service guy is supposed to talk to his supervisor, though he said it would probably not be waived. Do you think I am being unreasonable? There is no dealer within 50+ miles of me, and it is normally impossible anyway to get in quickly in the summer. I am supposed to work out of the camper again next week, so I need this fixed pronto. I have already had to change work and vacation plans several times this summer due to the unreliability of this rig and I am tired of doing so. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

akf15e

Is the freezer cooling?

No, not on AC. LP cools the fridge to 37-39 on a warm day and the freezer to 10-12 degrees. On AC, nothing. No codes are tripped either (Norcold 1210). This is a new problem, btw. On the first trip in March, on a cool day, the fridge was freezing things when on the coldest setting on AC. It just decided to stop working last week when I picked it back up from the dealer.

Update: Heartland called me back and said no dice on them covering a mobile tech. So I am out of luck until I can get this back in once again to my dealer in the fall. At least I can use propane and still use the rig. This has been a miserable experience so far. Very disappointed, both with quality and service.