First trip - a bit rough!

danemayer

Maybe call Norcold and discuss with them since they provide the warranty coverage on the refrigerator.

It is puzzling. If it works on LP, then the cooling unit is ok. If the dealer tech verified that the electric heating elements were working, it should be working.

My guess is that the tech stopped too soon or didn't really have the expertise needed to diagnose the failure.

Perhaps Norcold can direct you to an authorized Norcold warranty service location that's close by you.

Last edited:

akf15e

Maybe call Norcold and discuss with them since they provide the warranty coverage on the refrigerator.

It is puzzling. If it works on LP, then the cooling unit is ok. If the dealer tech verified that the electric heating elements were working, it should be working.

My guess is that the tech stopped too soon or didn't really have the expertise needed to diagnose the failure.

Perhaps Norcold can directly you to an authorized Norcold warranty service location that's close by you.

Dan - I agree it is puzzling. The tech had me feel the electrical elements myself and they were hot. So one would think that heat would act just like the propane heat and do what it is supposed to do. Yes, the techs at this dealer are always overloaded, it seems, and I don't think he really believed me that it isn't cooling properly so he didn't want to "waste" any more time. I actually called Norcold right away and they said that they wouldn't do any troubleshooting with a consumer over the phone - only with service techs. So I can go find an authorized tech on my own, but that will have to wait until after September because I am trying to live/work out of my rig for most of the next 2 months. So I guess it's propane from now until then. Not cheap, but I guess it beats living out of an ice chest the whole time.

Thanks for the inputs.

avvidclif

Call Norcold again and explain the circumstances. Get them to recommend a mobile tech that can work on it. If possible have them send one out.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There was a couple that had a similar problem in the park we were staying at and the mobile tech trouble shot it to the control board. Changed the control board and fixed it.

akf15e

Thought I would add this link referencing the refridge recall. http://www.thetford.com/customer-support/recall-information/ not sure how old it is, there was no date on the site.

Thanks. I saw that too. My fridge is not in that group. I tried Norcold again. They are happy to recommend a mobile tech, but at my cost for the service call. I called one tech and it was $160 for the first 30 minutes. I can buy a lot of propane for that, so I will wait until I take it back in to my dealer (again) in the fall to get the things he still hasn't fixed worked on. Chalk one up for the big guys....

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Thought I would add this link referencing the refridge recall. http://www.thetford.com/customer-support/recall-information/ not sure how old it is, there was no date on the site.

Dates for the products Recalled on the norcold page above, include:

1200, 1201, 1210 and 1211, 4 door refrigerators with cooling unit serial numbers ranging from 700000 to 13085759.
These refrigerators were installed as original equipment in vehicle model years 1997 to 2010. Other recalled refrigerators may have been purchased as replacement during the same period.

N841, N821, N641, N621 and 1082 gas/electric 2 door refrigerators, having cooling units with serial numbers from 1038000 to 1099000.
These refrigerators were mostly installed in, but limited to vehicle models 1999 to 2000.

Numerous other smaller models See link above for exact models:
Norcold has recalled the following smaller gas/electric refrigerator models, built from January, 1987 through May 1995

And additional models , built, serial numbers:
322/323 August, 1992-August, 1999 lower than 734882
N260/N260.3 April, 1998-August, 1999 lower than 738527
N300/N300.3 April, 1998-August, 1999 lower than 738626

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Sorry to hear. We had both recliners brake the same way. 1 was before we bought it and the 2nd a month later. In the process of waiting week after week for the replacement chairs that never came. We contacted the heartland rep Jeff H. He contacted Lippert for us and within a few hours Lippert called us and had our new Theater seat upgrade (which we wanted all along) ready to ship out to us. Thanks Jeff H. and Thanks Lippert
We have also had a lot of small issues that are driving me crazy. The dealer has had our RV more then we have, We are lucky that the dealer is only about 5 miles from my home. However I am just trying to fix as many things that I can myself. It's hard to believe the shotty quality control on a $100000 unit.

Last edited:

akf15e

Just an update, as the fridge issue is finally resolved [knocks on wood]. Two days before we departed for a 1 week trip (Aug 2-9) in the NC mtns, I went and flipped on the propane for the fridge....and no cool down after over 24 hours. In fact, it was up to 95* inside the fridge. So, I loaded up 2 mini refrigerators from my kids' college days and 2 coolers and off we went. Hey, if we could get by with ice and coolers in our first $2500 pop up, then surely we could survive a week in the comforts of a $75000 5er doing the same, right? The first 5 trips in this rig have more or less been similar to our pop up days - no water at times, no sink to use, no fridge, etc.

Anyway, I asked the campground manager for a reliable mobile tech, and boy did they come through. I called the guy and he just happened to be working a repair at a campground not too far away. So he swung by, opened up the access doors and diagnosed an ammonia leak within seconds. It was so quick and easy that he didn't even charge me the $50 service call. This diagnosis was something the dealer tech couldn't figure out in an hour. Entire new cooling unit needed. Unfortunately it would take 3-5 days to get it in form Norcold and then another day it install it. Luckily our camping spot was open for 2 more days and I could shift my work schedule as well, so we stayed until today. Yesterday the tech cam out, removed the fridge and installed the new cooling unit in about 3 hours. Works like a champ now. The leak was bad, btw. The tech says he sees the 1200s and 1210s fail a lot in the first year, but after he puts in new cooing units, they last years and years. So....maybe Norcold should pull units from their spare parts pile and put them in the new refrigerators before they ship, lol. If you are ever in the Asheville, NC area and you need a very good mobile tech, let me know and I'll PM his info to you. Wish I wasn't 5 hours away. I'd use him all the time.

So as of today, everything is fixed on my rig except a trim issue and a fraying rug on the office slide. Both of those will be repaired at the dealer in the fall. 5 months of ownership, 2+ months in the dealer's shop and one mobile tech repair and I think we are finally going to get to enjoy our rig on the next trip [knocks on wood again]. And given the number of compliments we got this week about how great out unit looks, I hope to be able to finally say "thanks, we love it" instead of "thanks, but...."

I really appreciate all of the inputs from the members here to help us get over this hump.