FIXED: Landing gear (hydraulic) switch broke

MTPockets

Got up, got ready to depart Texas State Park by 9:30 A.M... Unhooked everything, turned truck around and backed up to hitch. Had to raise nose but switch was dead.... I could lower, but couldn't raise; so, I pulled out the switch and rewired it in reverse so up was down and down was up. It worked, and I was able to raise the nose, then back up, but then rewired again so I could lower onto truck by raising the legs.

Got ot that done and drove 200 miles to another park, but now switch won't work in either direction; so, I removed the switch, drew myself a crude diagram of the connections and using some old pieces of wire made a couple jumpers and touching the correct wires together I am able to actuate the legs... Now, I'll be looking to get a switch somewhere in Amarillo on Monday. Any leads?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: Landing gear (hydraulic) switch broke

Have not been there, but there is Jack Siesmore Travelland RV and they have an historic RV museum there. http://www.rvmuseum.net

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

Have not been there, but there is Jack Siesmore Travelland RV and they have an historic RV museum there. http://www.rvmuseum.net

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Erika, actually that was going to be my first stop. We were there last year in May. Some really nice reconditioned classic RV's, and it's a free visit.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Most any RV dealer that carries parts should be able to handle that. Take your old switch with you.

MTPockets

You need a double pole - double throw switch, preferably one with at least a 20 amp rating.

Home Depot, Radio Shack or West Marine would be a good place to start.
. Double throw - Double pole. That's what I was looking for. Home Depot? I'll go there too. Thanks.

Garypowell

Years ago I got one at granger.

But remember in a pinch it is the same switch that is in your rear stabilizer jack.....assuming it is motorized. I may be out of date here if you have 6 point maybe they don't install these anymore.

MTPockets

Years ago I got one at granger.

But remember in a pinch it is the same switch that is in your rear stabilizer jack.....assuming it is motorized. I may be out of date here if you have 6 point maybe they don't install these anymore.
. Don't have 6 point. Rear stabilizer switch would work. Called Sizemore in Amarillo - they have one for $38... I think that's a bit steep. I may call around or just order it

Garypowell

They are expensive. That's why I suggested the work around. Your back stabilizer has a crank.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Landing gear (hydraulic) switch broke

If you want to get creative buy a switch from these guys, OTRATTW.com. (Over the river and through the woods). They have tons of customized switches to choose from. You just need a Momentary DPDT switch to the landing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

MTPockets

We went to Grainger in Amarillo, TX yesterday and got a new switch. (FYI, Grainger is a Nationwide Industrial supplier). This DPDT, 6 connector rocker switch is probably better quality than the original, at least it appears so, and would also replace the switch for the electric cord winder. I bought two so I'll have a spare. Fit the same mount; got the job done in five minutes. Grainger part number 2LNH4 and cost me $13 each. You may get a discount for an industrial customer.

scottyb

Ran into the same problem today and used the same resolution as you, making a double jumper wire. Did the Grainger switch mount cleanly in the space where the OEM swict was located? I deal with Grainger a lot for work and that would be easy.

MCTalley

We've been through two switches ourselves. The first was replaced under warranty and the second lasted about 9 months. We've been using the remote to hitch up with.

I Googled the part number and found a similar (same?) switch on Amazon.

By the way, the Grainger part is half-price through mid-December. (about $7 each).

MTPockets

Ran into the same problem today and used the same resolution as you, making a double jumper wire. Did the Grainger switch mount cleanly in the space where the OEM swict was located? I deal with Grainger a lot for work and that would be easy.
Yes, Grainger switch mounted the same.

wclark

Thank you everyone for all your help. we are back on the road again with working hydraulics.
Wendy