FIXED: one outlet no power.on kitchen slide side.

well hope I posted this in the right forum? I will start from the beginning, I have a 2010 north trail 28brs two weekends ago we where camping .woke up as usual 5:00 am and started my coffee it is a Bunn .turn warming plate on and sit back wait for brew . son says dad warming red lit is flickering, my reply was lite going bad, so I thought. next morning same routine turn warmer on no light .no big deal must have completely burned out .boy was I wrong coffee was weak looking and ice cold YUCK. so I tested outlet with hair dryer, no power . grabbed fluke test meter and check for 110v none residual voltage only. sorry this so long winded but I like to give detailed info . (must be the mechanic in me :) any how pulled outlet checked connections all good no power thru wires. chased wires over to hood range so removed it and wire went thru wall and down. removed access panel that was secured with 4 screws. found multiple wire connections .white flat wire on side other side black round flexible for slide movement I assume . no power to either connecter there. wire continues thru wall under rear bunk bed . outlet at front of bunk bed works and gfi in bath are okay also .this is as far as I have gotten . of course check breakers and fuses . my thought is to next pull breaker panel and make sure all connection coming out are good? it almost has to be a connection for power to fade out like it did . don't you think ? any guidance would be appreciated. P>S> did call customer service for wiring diagram and was told they do not have one . thanks as always Tim

porthole

Retired
Re: one outlet no power.on kitchen slide side.

Did you check the GFCI's?
On the 5th wheels the GFCI in the bathroom controls many outlets.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

The circuit breakers can look on even when they have tripped. Be sure to flip them completely off and then back on to check. Another possible source could be an outside GFCI receptacle on the kitchen circuit.

I appreciate the quick replies did check those by the way all is good. Left all breakers on and off even check the GFCI breaker did the test tapped out reset it still no power have a cousin coming over this afternoon that works for a camper outfit locally going to take a look at it

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

wdk450

This sounds like a poor insulation displacement AC electrical outlet connection problem to me. Replace the outlet with a standard, screw-terminal AC outlet. Even if it isn't bad this doesn't cost much, and is much more reliable over the years.

See: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...tor-(IDC)-Electrical-Outlets?highlight=outlet

Will appreciate the input again I did figure out what was going on hi cousin found a connector underneath the microwave where the wire comes down through the wall there is a plastic same type of connector that you're showing that is just a portion cut the wire type setup I'm looking for a connector that will be a wire nut or or screw type of connector to connect the two wires solid white to a flexible black slide goes in and out it flexes problem solved

Wdh 450 has the right idea those rv outlets are junk . Will look in to replacing at a later date.

wdk450

Wire nuts are used for splice connections throughout the RV's. Some people (including me) have had problems with the factory installation of these wire nuts. Be sure there are adequate lengths of wire exposed from the cable sheath, screw the wirenut on tightly, secure the wirenut tightness (against vibration) with electrical tape.

swburbguy

As a retired electrician, I always twisted the wires together first before installing the wirenut. Then pull on the wires to see if there is a good connection

swburbguy

I know what they say about not twisting wires but I have found that they sometimes don't make connection and pullout. So I jus twist them

porthole

Retired

I know what they say about not twisting wires but I have found that they sometimes don't make connection and pullout. So I jus twist them

Then the connector was not installed correctly, or they were cheap connectors to begin with. Pre twisting wires does not eliminate correctly installing the wire nuts.

swburbguy

Look I'm not going to argue with you to me its a more positive connection

Took care of the problem, so soldered and heat shrink could probably cut 10 times and still have enough. Hee hee

priorguy

Look I'm not going to argue with you to me its a more positive connection

You're absolutely right. It's the way I was taught in High School and later college. I fix connections all the time in the field that came apart because of this.

And smaller gauge solid wire snaps easily if stripped with pliers instead of wire strippers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr827

Wire nuts are used for splice connections throughout the RV's. Some people (including me) have had problems with the factory installation of these wire nuts. Be sure there are adequate lengths of wire exposed from the cable sheath, screw the wirenut on tightly, secure the wirenut tightness (against vibration) with electrical tape.
This is the way I do it........Don