Flasher Mod

eddylives

Has anyone here seen the trailer flasher modification?
We saw it while out camping a few years back , apparently all you do is some how plug in a flasher unit into your trailer plug and back feed power?? through the system and all the tail/clearance lights flash.
It was pretty neat to see 1/2 dozen trailers in a group doing this while having a little party lol
I will post up how its done if I run into the fella that was doing it for everyone.

Miller0758

It's really pretty simple. Pick up a flasher like that in the picture attached from a parts store or Wally World and plug it into your trailer plug with 1 male inserted in the power and the other in the lights. If you're not sure which slots are which, look at your outlet on your TV and there is a schematic.

Attachments

• 5363478.jpg
    5363478.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 14

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
Haven't seen much "flashing" around here lately, it's been too cold. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Ken

khalsey

I bought a a "Emergency Flasher" several years back that works like that. It worked on the earlier two fifth wheels fine but won't work (flash) on the Landmark because the LED exterior lights don't pull enough current.

Miller0758

That's funny Ken. I just need to make sure we don't camp near Eddy with his lights flashing all night. He would be better off just making a fused jumper and keep them on ... not as over the top.

porthole

Retired
Flashing trailer lights all night long - right up there with those blinding blue lights on the front of Cyclones left on.

I keep a spare heavy duty flasher in the truck and trailer just in case I may have to drop the trailer on the side of the road for any reason. Plug the flasher in and let the lights flash.

If you have LED's that do not draw enough power to operate the flasher, you can get around that by wiring in a standard automotive bulb to add some load.
You could also buy a load equalizer that does the same thing at a significantly higher price.

hoefler

I have made one for myself and some friends. I use a PVC junction box to house everything and I install a switch so you can have steady on or flashing.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We've been in a few parks where we've seen the "clearance lights" on for ambiance or whatever reason. I'm not a big fan of this or anything more than patio lights or a few solar path lights. But that's just me. I guess I just don't get the overall appeal. Now what I really like is total darkness with a nice campfire and a cooler close by with my favorite beverage.

GOTTOYS

We've been in a few parks where we've seen the "clearance lights" on for ambiance or whatever reason. I'm not a big fan of this or anything more than patio lights or a few solar path lights. But that's just me. I guess I just don't get the overall appeal. Now what I really like is total darkness with a nice campfire and a cooler close by with my favorite beverage.
I have to agree. I can't imagine anybody that would want to see some blinking lights flashing away next to them. Nothing about that appeals to me...Don

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have to agree. I can't imagine anybody that would want to see some blinking lights flashing away next to them. Nothing about that appeals to me...Don

I am on your side with this. We try to practice Light, Noise and Junk Discipline, while we are on any site.
on

SilverRhino

I have to agree with previous posts......Flashing or steady lights would just be another sorce of "campground pollution"!

The only post that really made sense to me was from porthole....set up for an emergency in case you had to leave the trailer parked on the side of the road.

eddylives

Lmao this is mainly a practical joke on some friends hehe. Make them think their trailer is on the blink again no pun intended lol.
As for camp ground etiquette we camp on crown land so there are no rules , live and let live is the rule book there unless you want to end up in a really bad situation dealing with someone. Everyone does their own thing and it works out fine for the most part but on occasion one crosses the line and gets dealt with.

khalsey

I purchased my flasher several years ago in case I ever had to leave the trailer along side of the road without the truck. In the 37 years of towing 5th wheels around the country I haven't had that happen and I hope I never do.

hoefler

I use it at the race tracks to try a locate our rig in a sea of campers that are packed in like sardines, when we go out walking around and visiting. You can easily get confused when you casually walk around a couple of thousand RVs. I don't use any place else. I am like anyone else who likes dark quiet places. I never thought about using it in an emergency.

porthole

Retired
Now what I really like is total darkness with a nice campfire and a cooler close by with my favorite beverage.

Where is that thumbs up emoticon when you need it!

I use it at the race tracks to try a locate our rig in a sea of campers that are packed in like sardines, when we go out walking around and visiting

How would that be if a couple hundred trailers started flashing? holy moly - that'll send some folks off into a tizzy ;)

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I purchased my flasher several years ago in case I ever had to leave the trailer along side of the road without the truck. In the 37 years of towing 5th wheels around the country I haven't had that happen and I hope I never do.

Anyone got a idea where one can buy one of these online.

archbarb

Same here, except add a 26" TV in the basement compartment and have SEC college football or Nascar on. Now that makes a great Saturday night!!!!!:D
Archie