Flexing RV - safe to tow? Now can't Un-Hitch

Re: Can't Unhitch - Update to Flexing - Safe to tow thread

Very sorry to hear of the problems you have had.But; I would not pull that thing another foot. I agree with John get it off the road.

I have looked at the current pictures, and I still say it's no worse then what we had when we towed our unit from Texas to Elkhart. We had the same gap under the dresser, the gaps on both sides of the front cap, cracks in the sidewall...everything. I think, unfortunately, the electric jack is an altogether separate issue, which is why we now have hydraulic jacks.

As I said before, with all of the above...there was NO frame damage...only flexing and busted welds in the sidewall. The one thing we did not do was hook and unhook during the trip. We stayed connected and took it directly to the factory...

Sorry for your troubles. Two things, I'm not sure it will help..

1. Theres a BC dealer in Kearney Nebraska and I-80 runs through there.
2. If your traveling down I-70, we live in Hays Kansas and theres a rv park here, not much of one but if you need to stay hooked up, we'd be happy to run you around town. If you need my phone number just pm me.

Some Quick Replies...
Firstly - thanks to everyone - we appreciate your thoughts and concerns - many of which we share.

Re the measuring the flex - we did try but did not feel we were able to get accurate measurement simply using our truck.

Thanks Jim - Yes I found Pikes Peak RV dealership online and as they carry BC I thought it was my best bet - will be heading in there Tuesday.

Thanks Dave - I am afraid I do not have any jacks and to be honest - I just would not be comfortable with doing that. I have no experience and would be too scared that I could in some way make a mistake and drop the camper or injure someone. I appreciate the information but the person on the jack needs to have some experience I feel and that is not me.

Your point about the screw loose is well taken and that is what we first went looking for. The drivers end is not excessible from within the front bin or side door - it appears to be in its own campartment and access is only from below. Two fellow campers - one with a BC and an ex- trucker both spent some time trying to look for anything we could do - but finally we concluded that it needs people who know what they are doing to look at it and most likely needs replacing. I think the sudden and strong movement may have done some damage more than a screw loose.

Thanks Ken - I am constanly concerned that I am driving something that is not safe. I sudder to think what my insurance company would say and despite the promise of a letter confirming the safety of the RV from Heartland it is has not been forthcoming. I shall be asking again for it before we go further than the dealer.
i take your point re the hitching and unhitching - sadly this is not an option for us.
My family are with me - I have a three year old son and a four year old daughter so we must unhitch and stop frequently. They can do about 200 to 300 miles in a day but then we need to give them a day or two to run around and be kids. In short we need to shop and stop. Plus - we want to make this trip fun for the kids so we need to find interesting things for them to do along the way.
Heartland organized a driver when they took our RV back to the factory for the same repair as this one in October 2009, it is a shame they have not done the same for this trip.

again - our thanks for your support and your well wishes
Le

We had a jack problem when we were down to the Rally in Goshen a couple of years ago. We were in Elkhart at the time with another couple. When I talked to Heartland and a repair shop they suggested we couldn't get it done there so moved on down for the Rally. Lippert came out and said they would get us unhooked from the truck. What they did was extend the "dead" jack pulling the pin so the jack foot would drop to blocking. Then they lifted the trailer with just the one jack and once high enough, stuffed another block under the "Dead" jack foot. They kept this up intil the trailer was high enough to unhook. They did say this is something you would not normally do as it is stress on the good jack but in an emergency it can be done. Hope this is clear and not sure you want to try it. I probably wouldn't in your case because I'm not sure of the condition of your frame. Just my experience..../Doug

If I were in your shoes, I would call Heartland Customer Service tomorrow early (remember they are on Eastern time), and talk to Jim Fenner (over customer service). Explain your situation to Jim and be sure he understands how the situation is deteriorating and your concern for the safety of your family and the motoring public and the liability it puts on you and Heartland. I am sure once he understands this he will come up with a workable solution. Remember if you have an extended warranty it may cover relocation (hotel) expenses. Good Luck.

arisce

I would ship the trailer to Heartland. I would never have left with those stress/fatigue signs. My best advice is to ship the trailer from where you are to Heartland. You have enough troubles. Let's be safe than sorry. The cost would be about the same. Even if it costs you more it would be worth the peace of mind. Good luck.
Praying for your safety.