Flipping Axle

hboy1

I'm towing with a Ram 3500 and have a RW 355 on order. I've read where some folks have flipped the axles to help level out the 5th wheel because the height of the tow vehicle causes the nose of the 5th wheel to be higher than desired.

Anyone with a similar camper see the need to raise the trailer to level things out to eliminate the nose high effect and possible extra weight on the trailer rear axle from not being level? Thanks.

MTPockets

Do you know how the axles are positioned from the factory? I know my Big Horn came from the factory with the axles already below the springs - flipped. I know some models/frames mount the springs under the axle, or closest to the ground, while others, like mine, came already with the axles closest to the ground.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When we traded in our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner last May, it was just one week after we had both axles and springs upgraded to heavier duty units, which raised the trailer about six inches.

At first they thought we had flipped the axles . . . until I explained what we did.

They told me that if we had flipped the axles that they wouldn't have taken the trailer in for trade.

Here are some before and after shots:

AxleRepairBefore-P5090649.jpg AxleRepairAfter-P5090654.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg

GOTTOYS

Should not be needed if you are towing a newer model trailer. Used to be common practice with smaller older trailers running 14 or 15 inch tires. I doubt that you will find anyone here that has found that necessary...Don

ncrzrbk

I tow with 14' Ram 3500 SRW with 20" factory wheels. I didn't have to adjust anything.
I think you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nbomar

My road warrior is already legal height 13'6". If you were to raise it, you would be above legal height and clipping low bridges when you went under them. Bye bye air conditioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Most hitches can be adjusted up or down as needed. Just make sure that you have at least 6+" of clearance between the bed rails and your coach.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As Bob mentioned, most hitches have some vertical adjustability. The position of the pinbox may also have a little. Something to consider against inverting the axles is if you decide that you want to replace the factory pinbox (if you don't order it with a different one). You may end up with a different relationship between the nose of the trailer and the truck. When I replaced the OEM pin on our rig with a 5th Airborne, I had to drop the hitch height (standard 16K Reese) one position to get the nose back to level.