FloJet Macerator System

I have been contemplating purchasing a FloJet Macerating Pump System for the express purpose of cleaning the holding tanks while at home. I have ready access to the septic tank clean out port, but it is probably a good 50+ feet from how close I can park the travel trailer to the house. My current practice is to connect enough lengths of 3" diameter RV sewer hoses with the necessary couplings and let gravity take care of the process. Granted, my property has zero topographical change, but since the tanks are elevated on the frame of the travel trailer it still flows with enough force to empty the tanks. The main problem I have with this process is that the hoses wear out, they develop pin prick leaks from being pulled across the turf, etc. They have to be replaced on a regular basis. So, now I'm looking at the relative simplicity of the macerator system and trying to decide if it is something to invest in. I have read numerous reviews, both positive and negative, and all points in between. The Heartland Owner's Forum has been a wealth of information for me over the past 4 years. I am hoping this will continue. Can anyone chime in on the FloJet Macerator System and how would you rate that product?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

jnbhobe

Works great of you need it, I have had a 4in cleanout right in front of the house so I don't use it much any more.

mlpeloquin

Got one. I have been at three parks across the country that had the sewer pipe a foot or more above the RV's. Done playing the inch worm lift and drain thing. Good to have. If you need it once do to this it is worth the expense.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I used the SewerSolutions one at Goshen (2013) due to the uphill/elevated sewer pipe. Did the job and only needs water, not power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

I have one because for a while after we got the BH our winter spot's septic input was about level with outflow and drained very slowly. So, Flowjet was temp solution. Long term, I elevated the pad. The only thing I see wrong with the Flowjet is that the liquid does not exit with any speed or force that, IMHO, is necessary to clean the sides of the tanks. It did empty the tanks so did it's primary job well. I understand your hose problem and wonder why you don't expend a few more dollars up front and get a better quality hose that will last a lot longer than those cheap ones and pay for itself over the long run. If you have any kind of reasonable flow when gravity draining, that's the way I would go. Others will have their own opinion.

Gizzy

I have the Sewer Solution and use it with about 25 feet of PVC when at home and it works great. Have used it a few times when on the road and it worked the same.

I appreciate your point regarding additional spending on the front end. I don't have a really good reason other than I'm a cheap sob (my limited understanding of this particular context on this particular site means I'm 'some other brand'......I'm ok with that.) All kidding aside, storage is the concern. Right now, I have about 60' of 3" diameter slinky hose crammed into a 12 foot long 4" diameter PVC pipe hanging on the back of my storage shed. Learned the hard way that those hoses do not last very long when exposed to the elements and UV rays. I do like the fact that the macerator system has come down significantly in price since I first explored the idea of buying one. I think the first time I saw the unit, it was north of $400.00; I've seen them on Amazon for almost less than half that value. Thanks again for the input.
Scott

danemayer

When you check prices, compare the contents carefully. Some are the bare macerator. Others include fittings, power connections and a 1-1/4" hose.

porthole

Retired
I have used this for years now, enough so that I have had to replace the impeller twice. I would guess at least half of our RV outings I use it when we get home, never worry about the tanks being completely drained-flushed when checking out.
I also picked up two lengths of the 1" hose (25' each) at the Hershey show.

Flojet

Hose (similar to this) I made my own PVC fittings almost the same as pictured. Quality 3/4" garden would work, but the bigger the hose the better the flow

I ran 8 gauge wire from the battery to the frame rail near the the sewer outlet and use industrial battery connectors for the electric.

After having the impeller fail, and not finding out until we got home, I ordered two impellers. Keep one by the toolbox at home.
In hindsight, I thought the pump was getting kind of slow, so I should have checked it then.

The sewersystem thing is a good alternative - if that works for you. If you need to dump the tanks, the odds are good you have water available. But, if you are using the RV, the odds are good you have 12 volts DC available as well.
For me, we are at the minimum acceptable water pressure and flow where we live (highest elevation in the development and at the end of the cul-de-sac) and water is laced with gold I think based on the cost. So Flojet it is.