Floor construction on the Cyclone 3010 ( 2010 model year )

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Good Day all,

I was in PA at a Heartland owners club campout this weekend and noticed a soft spot right in front of the forward entry door. I realize that this is most likely water damage ( and I still need to find the source ) but I got thinking that the floor is a wood and foam structure - so I will need to determine how best to replace the sub floor after the leak is found and fixed - anyone have guidance on the best way to proceed?

Dclaws54

I just fixed a 2' X 2' soft spot in my floor on my 2013 Cyclone 3110. It was linoleum over 3/4 osb plywood , on 2x3 joist with some kind of bat insulation on plastic sheeting. 1st- I over cut the flooring and removed without damage so that when I reinstalled it the cut joint would not line up with the cut joint of the plywood. Next I cut out the bad plywood, removed the still wet insulation . Screwed wood cleats all around the edge of subfloor. ( another plus from over cutting the flooring at least 1 1/2 inch , so that you have some bare subfloor to screw your cleats into ) replace the insulation , screw a new piece of sub floor down and replace the flooring. I used a contact cement on both sides of the cut joint . I used a roller to make sure they stuck down good. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oscar

I just fixed a 2' X 2' soft spot in my floor on my 2013 Cyclone 3110. It was linoleum over 3/4 osb plywood , on 2x3 joist with some kind of bat insulation on plastic sheeting. 1st- I over cut the flooring and removed without damage so that when I reinstalled it the cut joint would not line up with the cut joint of the plywood. Next I cut out the bad plywood, removed the still wet insulation . Screwed wood cleats all around the edge of subfloor. ( another plus from over cutting the flooring at least 1 1/2 inch , so that you have some bare subfloor to screw your cleats into ) replace the insulation , screw a new piece of sub floor down and replace the flooring. I used a contact cement on both sides of the cut joint . I used a roller to make sure they stuck down good. Hope this helps.

So, was it OSB or Plywood?.....it's one or the other. Secondly, did you find the source of the water?

Dclaws54

Osb not cdx . Did replace with a piece of cdx plywood. While you have it opened up run all your systems, let it rain . I put a water alarm in the floor and put the replacement plywood on without fastening it. Put a rug over it , and used the rv until the alarm goes off . Mine was from my island sink.

recumbent615

I have not found the source of my water leak. I am at a loss at the moment how to best determine where the leak is. There is nothing obvious on the roof that would cause the leak.

Any sage guidance is very welcome.

avvidclif

While on the roof look for exposed screw heads. I had a leak I couldn't find and it was explained the water will go under the head of the screw, down the threads, and drip. Once I made sure all screw heads were covered the leak stopped.

oscar

I have not found the source of my water leak. I am at a loss at the moment how to best determine where the leak is. There is nothing obvious on the roof that would cause the leak.

Any sage guidance is very welcome.

There are two sources of water..... Rain and potable. (The stuff in your tank).

1: Pressurize your water system (pump on) and run water in the sinks, toilets and shower. Have the area in question accessible and look, and look.

2: Rain..... that's a tough one. After verifying that there is no obvious caulking/membrane problem on the roof, one trick is to surround the area in question with sheets of newspaper and when it rains, go into the unit and see which direction the wet spot goes..... follow it. Not easy.

Also, realize that water migration patterns change with leveling up or down.......(Front to back and left to right) So try to have it the same until you run out of ideas, then tilt one way and repeat..... and repeat.

recumbent615

There are two sources of water..... Rain and potable. (The stuff in your tank).

1: Pressurize your water system (pump on) and run water in the sinks, toilets and shower. Have the area in question accessible and look, and look.

2: Rain..... that's a tough one. After verifying that there is no obvious caulking/membrane problem on the roof, one trick is to surround the area in question with sheets of newspaper and when it rains, go into the unit and see which direction the wet spot goes..... follow it. Not easy.

Also, realize that water migration patterns change with leveling up or down.......(Front to back and left to right) So try to have it the same until you run out of ideas, then tilt one way and repeat..... and repeat.

Yes, not a potable water leak, i did have one of this this last trip but it was caused by me - replaced the bathroom sink faucet and I could not get the stock connector to seat correctly so it was leaking enought to see the leak. this is most likely roof leak. I did find some suspect areas and have cleaned them up - time will tell if I have corrected the issue - I have ordered leak detectors to place under the draws in the galley ( where the water has been seen in the past and where I expect I would see it again if I have not corrected the issue.

I did make temp fix to the floor to keep from falling through the floor at the entry door. the larger fix will wait until fall.. as long as I have found/fixed the leaking...

Kevin