Florida RV and TV registration.

Joe G

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
I just registered my TV and RV in Florida and yes I had to re-title both.

TV Cost
Title $90.25
Registration $143.10 - 1yr.

RV Cost
Title $87.75
Registration $102.20 - 2yrs.

Lynn1130

Sorry Lynn, but my last 4 vehicle purchases, the title was held by the lien holder. I did not receive the title until it had been paid off.

Re read my post. That is what I said. It either held by the bank/credit union/loan company. To be honest, I have not taken a loan out on a vehicle in probably 30 years. I subscribe to the Dave Ramsey theory about loans. So I get the title in 30/45 days. The last time I did, I got the title and AZFCU sent me a lien release when it was paid off. Arizona changed that awhile back it seems but it is still not held by DVM/MVD.

And I still go back to my original. Who wants MVD to be holding any document of theirs? Major frustration waiting to happen.

danemayer

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about.

When I moved from Maryland to Florida, I had my vehicle titles. When I moved from Florida to Indiana I had my titles. When I moved from Indiana to Florida I had my titles. When I moved from Florida to Texas, I didn't have to request titles from Florida. I had them in my possession. When I moved from Texas to Colorado, I had the titles. In each case, in order to get a new title in the new state, I had to surrender the old title, which I had in my possession.

When I had a vehicle loan, and sold the vehicle, I had to obtain a lien release so that the buyer could take that and my signed title to the registrar in order to get his new title. I think in one move there had been a loan that was paid off before I moved and I had to provide both the old title and lien release in order to get a new, clean title.

Lynn1130

Dan,
That is pretty much what I was talking about. The owner has the title. In some states I guess now the lien holder may have it and send it to the owner when the loan is paid off. My beef was with a state, any state that held on to a title, for whatever reason. In this case one person said that Florida does that. I don't know, perhaps they do, but if they do it is a major disservice to the taxpayers and vehicle owner. Just me, but I would be calling my local legislator wanting to know why they were wasting my dollars on BS bureaucracy.

MCTalley

I don't have complete information (see below), but here's our experience (so far):

We are switching to Florida (Polk county) from Texas (Polk county via Escapees). We have a 2012 Ford Escape, 2016 F350 and 2015 Big Country. The Escape is paid for, the other two have loans against them. The only information I didn't know before we went in was that they need the title sent from the lienholders before you can register your vehicles, so the F350 and RV are still with Texas tags for a little longer.

The title fee, as mentioned earlier in the thread, is around $100. That will apply to each vehicle. I don't have the breakdown in front of me, but the total registration cost (aside from the title fee) on the Escape was $319. $28 of that was because we got a specialty plate, $225 of that was a one-time initial registration fee. I'm not clear if that is per vehicle or per person. Note that registrations expire on your birthday. Mine is in 6 months.

You have the choice of having the local tax office hold a physical paper title, having them hold an electronic title or having them send you a physical printed title (if the vehicle does not have a lienholder). Note that if you have your title in hand and lose it, you'll have to pay around $85 to have another issued. I suspect if they lost their physical copy, they would just print another if you needed it.

They require a form to be filled out verifying your VIN number and mileage for any vehicle with a motor, so the RV is exempt from that requirement. We took the car and truck to the local Ford dealer and they filled them out for free. Having a dealer do it avoids having to have them notarized.

If you purchased any of your vehicles in the last 6 months, you will be on the hook for any difference in sales tax from the state you are moving from to Florida. We bought the Escape less than 6 months ago and owed the difference in Florida taxes vs. Texas taxes. Fortunately, that was only $10.

I'll give an update when we get the truck and RV registered, but that won't be until we get back down here in April.

Per insurance costs, we found that ours were much lower as compared to our rates in Texas. The truck and car rates (combined) dropped about $500 every six months. Our trailer insurance (full-timers) dropped around $500 for the year (admittedly, part of that was due to switching from replacement value coverage to declared value coverage, which is cheaper).

sjandbj

I don't have complete information (see below), but here's our experience (so far):

We are switching to Florida (Polk county) from Texas (Polk county via Escapees). We have a 2012 Ford Escape, 2016 F350 and 2015 Big Country. The Escape is paid for, the other two have loans against them. The only information I didn't know before we went in was that they need the title sent from the lienholders before you can register your vehicles, so the F350 and RV are still with Texas tags for a little longer.

The title fee, as mentioned earlier in the thread, is around $100. That will apply to each vehicle. I don't have the breakdown in front of me, but the total registration cost (aside from the title fee) on the Escape was $319. $28 of that was because we got a specialty plate, $225 of that was a one-time initial registration fee. I'm not clear if that is per vehicle or per person. Note that registrations expire on your birthday. Mine is in 6 months.

You have the choice of having the local tax office hold a physical paper title, having them hold an electronic title or having them send you a physical printed title (if the vehicle does not have a lienholder). Note that if you have your title in hand and lose it, you'll have to pay around $85 to have another issued. I suspect if they lost their physical copy, they would just print another if you needed it.

They require a form to be filled out verifying your VIN number and mileage for any vehicle with a motor, so the RV is exempt from that requirement. We took the car and truck to the local Ford dealer and they filled them out for free. Having a dealer do it avoids having to have them notarized.

If you purchased any of your vehicles in the last 6 months, you will be on the hook for any difference in sales tax from the state you are moving from to Florida. We bought the Escape less than 6 months ago and owed the difference in Florida taxes vs. Texas taxes. Fortunately, that was only $10.

I'll give an update when we get the truck and RV registered, but that won't be until we get back down here in April.

Per insurance costs, we found that ours were much lower as compared to our rates in Texas. The truck and car rates (combined) dropped about $500 every six months. Our trailer insurance (full-timers) dropped around $500 for the year (admittedly, part of that was due to switching from replacement value coverage to declared value coverage, which is cheaper).

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks

MCTalley

I found this fairly informative PDF file.

Florida DHSMV Fees

Note that the $225 fee will be per-vehicle for motorized vehicles (so none on your RV). Part years are not pro-rated.

So for our vehicles, the taxes would be:

Ford Escape - $35.60 (Passenger car under 3,500 lb).
Ford F-350 - $99.35 (dry weight of 6000-7999) or $114.60 (dry weight of 8000-9999) or $139.60 (weight range 10000-14999). The sheet says GVW (as opposed to GVWR), so I'm not sure what number they'll use.
Fifth wheel - $36.60 (over 35')

When you renew, you'll only be paying those amounts per year, roughly.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I did not see a savings in insurance at all in fact State Farm insurance was atleast $500 more for me every 6months. Guess NY is not that bad. Reg fee's however were a big savings. In the end it was a wash for us so we stayed with our home state of NY.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk