Fluorescent lights

Hello everyone, we just bought a used 2009 Landmark. we have it plugged into a 110 outlet while we get it ready to camp. Anyway when we cut on lights, (the, I guess 12 fluorescent lights) after a little while one or both lights will go out. Any ideas? Hope it is not something big. When we cut them out for a few and cut them back on both will come on but one will go back out in a few. Thank you in advance. Jeff

jimtoo

Hi Jeff and Jenn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I would guess you need to start checking all the breakers and fuse. It is possible the converter is not working to keep the 12v battery charged. You might hook a battery charger to the battery and if the lights stay on then you would need to start checking the converter for sure. I'm sure others will jump in soon with maybe a better way of checking.

Enjoy the forum and your new to you Landmark.

Jim M

Thank you Jim for the warm welcome. Even though we have it plugged up to a 110? Please don't think we are dumb but, we don't even know where the converted is yet. I know not real good. thanks again Jeff

danemayer

Check to make sure the fluorescent bulbs are fully seated. A poor contact could get worse at the lamp warms up. You might also want to take a look at lamp wiring and switch connections.

jimtoo

Yes Jeff,,, the converter does just that... converts 120v a/c to 12v d/c which charges your 12v battery and operates almost all the lights in the trailer. So if the converter is not working, your battery may be low on charge or even bad. The easiest thing is hook a battery charger to the battery. If the lights then work, then the converter is not working due to no power to it or blown fuses. If things do not work for you then you may need to seek help. Also the converter is most likely behind the fuse or breaker panel... but to get to it,, you will most likely need to remove a panel in the storage area.. don't start messing around with the converter or breakers with the trailer plugged into 120v now unless you know what your doing.

Jim M

Thank you guys very much. I will check the battery with a charger tomorrow. I put a meter on it and it reads 12 volts. All the fuses are good also. The way my luck runs it will be the battery and the converter. haha

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had a similar thing happen and ended up being a loose twist on connector in the wiring. It had already partly melted. The first thing I would do is check the wiring to be sure it is not arcing which could result in a fire.

h2ok9

Not sure how far back the problem exists, but we have replaced 5 of our flourescent lights in our 2011 rushmore. They work when first turned on and after warming up (5-10 minutes) they overheat and shut themselves off. Wiring checked out ok and happened on different switches, so contacted heartland--- Gary Schellenberg--- about the problem and heartland sent me out 3 new units to replace the original two that went bad. One of new ones went bad in about 3 days, so replaced with other new one. They worked for about 2 months and then both quit again. Gary sent me two more units. Installed them 2 weeks ago. The new ones are of different manufacture and don't fit original installation as feed wires are to short, but can be made to work. The new ones also have different lenses. Thus far the new lights have worked fine, but time will tell. I would contact Gary about the problem and see if any new units could be sent. Garys' phone 574-262-8030.

wdk450

Jeff:
I would advise you to bone up on RV electrical systems HERE: http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html
Don't let all of the technology in this reference overwhelm you. You can just scroll down to the "CONVERTORS" section and get an idea what we are talking about. There are some good diagrams with it. BTW, Heartland uses the "Smart" convertors/chargers in their units, and they should maintain a battery properly.
I would also buy a clamp-on Ammeter/DVM/Continuity meter (this one at Harbor Freight is pretty reasonable: http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-clamp-meter-96308.html ) This will allow you to easily check AC and DC current draws by clamping around a wire, measure voltages, measure current draws (by putting the test leads INTO a circuit), audibly hear if you have a complete current path, etc.
BTW, with a DC voltmeter across your battery terminals you can SEE if your convertor is working. With the trailer unplugged from AC power take a reading (about 12 volts). Plug the trailer in and the reading should now be higher, due to the charging current from the convertor.
Hope this all helps, and WELCOME to the Heartland Family!!!

Gaffer

If it is just one fixture that is acting up and you have other fixtures that work as they should, swap lamps before looking further.

rick_debbie_gallant

Thank you guys very much. I will check the battery with a charger tomorrow. I put a meter on it and it reads 12 volts. All the fuses are good also. The way my luck runs it will be the battery and the converter. haha

from the FWIW department, with a meter reading at 12 volts your battery is pretty close to being close to only being at 50% charge or so.

State of Charge 12 Volt battery Volts per Cell
100% 12.7 2.12
90% 12.5 2.08
80% 12.42 2.07
70% 12.32 2.05
60% 12.20 2.03
50% 12.06 2.01
40% 11.9 1.98
30% 11.75 1.96
20% 11.58 1.93
10% 11.31 1.89
0 10.5 1.75

I believe to get a truer picture one may have to get the specific gravity of each cell. A specific gravity in just one cell of 1.00 is dead. which equal a dead battery. Again FWIW and the way I understand things.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I agree with Rick. 12V's doesn't mean that the battery has enough amps to run many things. When plugged into shore power your still running on 12V's thru the convertor. A dead or bad battery can cause lots of weird things to happen. But, I'm betting on the lites being defective.

Thank you to everyone. It is great to get so much help. Not use to that. This is a great sight, and everyone is so helpful. Agaain thank you all very much.

sgtbigb

Help. I am lock out and can not get in? I had some faulty fluoresent lites replace by Heartland under warranty. I now have a bulb out and is need of replacement. My prblem is that replacements have a cover which has a lends that is very tight and have indication on how to remove. Any and all ideals is welcome!