Charging Batteries

CEDARGIRL

Hello..I just inherited a 2019 Heartland Cyclone and while cleaning it out, I noticed the lights that just run on the battery quit working. Figured it was the battery/batteries. If thats correct, can I just charge them up on a regular car battery charger? Thank you in advance...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you can just charge with a battery charger. Preferably a smart charger.
You could just run off the charger and leave it hooked up and not worry about depleting the battery.
You could also get an adapter to run the onboard charger using the shore cord.

Peace
Dave

CEDARGIRL

Yes you can just charge with a battery charger. Preferably a smart charger.
You could just run off the charger and leave it hooked up and not worry about depleting the battery.
You could also get an adapter to run the onboard charger using the shore cord.

Peace
Dave
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the help. I just have an old car charger, no smart charger,but sound like it'll do the trick, eh?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you have power to run a charger you might instead consider one of these to operate your on board converter/charger. Any RV dealer should have one.
Won't run your AC but will keep the 12 volt items working.
One of these.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I have found these in stock at my local WalMarts, but you would need 2 plugged together - the 15 amp to 30 amp, and the 30 amp to 50 amp.

Walmart search link still worked for me although funny listing name.

CEDARGIRL

If you have power to run a charger you might instead consider one of these to operate your on board converter/charger. Any RV dealer should have one.
Won't run your AC but will keep the 12 volt items working.
One of these.

Peace
Dave
It in the driveway.... plugged in.. I just noticed the lights that come on when it isnt plugged in dont come on any more. So I thought it had to be low battery. I'm probably missing something here, dont know much about these new rvs. This things got so many bells and whistles, I still havent found them all! I'm just trying to clean it all up, fix a few things and sell it. Thanks for the help Dave!
Janis

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like your converter/charger is not charging the battery.
As Bill, wdk450 mentioned there is a manual reset 12 volt breaker that could be tripped. Somewhere near the battery you should see a bank of 12 volt breakers covered with red rubber boots. Feel along the edges for a tiny reset button on one of them. Press it to reset?
Also the converter may not be plugged in out its 120 volt breaker is tripped.
While plugged in use your multimeter and check the voltage at the battery.
Those are a couple of the most common issues when the battery is going dead.

Peace
Dave

Hollandt

It in the driveway.... plugged in.. I just noticed the lights that come on when it isnt plugged in dont come on any more. So I thought it had to be low battery. I'm probably missing something here, dont know much about these new rvs. This things got so many bells and whistles, I still havent found them all! I'm just trying to clean it all up, fix a few things and sell it. Thanks for the help Dave!
Janis
Make sure your battery disconnect switch is turned to the on position.