Ford 6.7 Diesel oil weight ???

rjr6150

Quick question coming up on 5000 miles. Ford states if most of the driving is towing to use 5W-40. How many of you run out his weight and also use synthetic.

fritzwell

Have used 5W 40 synthetic since new and haven't had any problems. Some will disagree, but I don't normally listen.
icon7.png

rhodies1

Quick question coming up on 5000 miles. Ford states if most of the driving is towing to use 5W-40. How many of you run out his weight and also use synthetic.

Ford recommends this weight in order to reduce engine wear in colder months,easy cold weather starting... 5/40 weight is as it states,the actual oil is 5 weight with the lubricating ability of a 40 weight oil.
5/40 has proven to work extremely well and therefore they recommend yearly use versus alternating weights in summer and winter,as well ,it is synethic so it travels from oil sump to the top side of the engine in half the time of crude based product.
In your owners manual it lists the recommended weights with 5/40 as the preference,everyone has their personell choice and I'm sure you will get lots of points of view.
If your unit is new,I would follow the recommendation for warranty purposes.
Have fun.

WGFinley

Better check your manual, hardly any vehicle, especially a diesel has that kind of oil change interval anymore. 5-10k is the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

We always used 5w40 synthetic. Our 2013 manual calls for the 5w40 under severe duty use. Severe duty described as towing, long idling, slow driving speeds, lots of stop & go, and dusty & dirty conditions. Seems this covers most of our driving, so we stick with this oil.

rxbristol

Double check the current oil recommendation from Ford because some oil brands, like Rotella's CK-4, are not recommended for the Ford Super Duty. I was able to get Rotella's CJ-4 on the last trip to Walmart because the new stock has not hit the shelves, yet.

rhodies1

Rxbristol is correct,if your truck is a 2017 model with the 6.7 then be sure to use a CJ-4 spec oil only, do not let the service advisor at the shop you go to for the oil change tell you it doesn't matter...currently Ford will not accept to new CK -4 spec oil,they claim they are seeing premature engine wear with the new spec oil.
You may be forced to have it changed at the Ford dealership because the older spec oil is being used up in the market.

travlingman

Double check the current oil recommendation from Ford because some oil brands, like Rotella's CK-4, are not recommended for the Ford Super Duty. I was able to get Rotella's CJ-4 on the last trip to Walmart because the new stock has not hit the shelves, yet.

Make sure you have the old bottle and not the new style. If it is the new style bottle, even though marked as CJ-4, it is CK-4. This has been posted on quite a few forums.

rxbristol

Make sure you have the old bottle and not the new style. If it is the new style bottle, even though marked as CJ-4, it is CK-4. This has been posted on quite a few forums.

Thanks for the heads up. It makes me wonder if Rotella did this on purpose because of a drop in sales.

rhodies1

Travellingmans comment on Shell using the NEW bottle and marking as the old as CJ 4 and saying it is really CK 4 is absolutely false. Shell will not risk their reputation by falsifying the oil and data provided on the bottle.I spent 35 years working for Shell in the lubricants division and they pride themselves as the industry leader with Rotella product and will not jeopardize their reputation.What is listed on the bottle is what the contents are inside.
Bottle change styles occur based on market conditions,suppliers,cost,and customer feedback on ease of use and other factors.
Bottle style does not dictate what is inside for contents.

WGFinley

I hope this whole thread shows you, better let Ford handle this change until it gets straightened out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhodies1

There is an undisclosed reason that Ford will not recommend ANY oil producers oil currently for their 2017 trucks with the 6.7 . Eventually the Information on the rejection will come out to the market but no one will disclose the reason currently".......

lwmcguire

We always used 5w40 synthetic. Our 2013 manual calls for the 5w40 under severe duty use. Severe duty described as towing, long idling, slow driving speeds, lots of stop & go, and dusty & dirty conditions. Seems this covers most of our driving, so we stick with this oil.

We have put a couple 100 thousand miles using Motor Craft 5-40 synthetic. Price isn't much different than the other good oils.

rjr6150

Thanks all for the info. Even though slightly more dollars have always had Ford service take care of oil changes.

rhodies1

Currently this is the best thing to do with your new truck,the oil industry will develope an oil to meet Fords specs..The volume of oil consumed in maintenance of this engine is enormous so things will change.
As stated,there is an underlying reason why Ford currently will not endorse all manufactures of oil to meet their engine specs.The reason will come to light in the future, as it did for other auto manufacturers with specific oil requirements.

travlingman

Travellingmans comment on Shell using the NEW bottle and marking as the old as CJ 4 and saying it is really CK 4 is absolutely false. Shell will not risk their reputation by falsifying the oil and data provided on the bottle.I spent 35 years working for Shell in the lubricants division and they pride themselves as the industry leader with Rotella product and will not jeopardize their reputation.What is listed on the bottle is what the contents are inside.
Bottle change styles occur based on market conditions,suppliers,cost,and customer feedback on ease of use and other factors.
Bottle style does not dictate what is inside for contents.

Here is the press release saying that Shell was going to bottle the CK4 as CJ4 in the new bottle and wouldn't change the labeling until last December. http://fleetowner.com/equipment/shell-unveils-ck-4-fa-4-engine-oils#slide-6-field_images-196441 So is my statement still false?

donr827

Let the Ford dealer change the oil until all of the confusion is cleared up. Cost to fix a engine isn't cheap.
Don

porthole

Retired
OP - FWIIW, my preference has been Shell Rotella, been using any one of the 3 varieties, crude, blend or full synthetic since day one. Type was dictated by price when I went to buy or time of year. Towing season I tended to use synthetic.

For the past 2 years I have been using the synthetic exclusively because of discounts through Amazon.

Let the Ford dealer change the oil until all of the confusion is cleared up. Cost to fix a engine isn't cheap.
Don

I worked for new car dealers for 20 years, there is no guarantee you are getting any specific oil unless you specified and requested such.

- - - Updated - - -

There is an undisclosed reason that Ford will not recommend ANY oil producers oil currently for their 2017 trucks with the 6.7 . Eventually the Information on the rejection will come out to the market but no one will disclose the reason currently".......

The reason has been out since September, it is a suspected premature wear problem.
This will have to change, Ford cannot demand that end users only use motorcraft oil, because that is the only oil that they approve. If it comes to that Ford will be supplying a lot of free oil. And Ford or Motorcraft do not produce oil.

rxbristol

The reason has been out since September, it is a suspected premature wear problem.
This will have to change, Ford cannot demand that end users only use motorcraft oil, because that is the only oil that they approve. If it comes to that Ford will be supplying a lot of free oil. And Ford or Motorcraft do not produce oil.

Ford has published a long list of approved oils with the CK-4 specs, but Rotella still is not on it.