Ford 6.7 Diesel oil weight ???

WGFinley

I worked for new car dealers for 20 years, there is no guarantee you are getting any specific oil unless you specified and requested such.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps not, but you're denying Ford any opportunity to deny a warranty claim because you used an improper oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Perhaps not, but you're denying Ford any opportunity to deny a warranty claim because you used an improper oil.

Not sure what you mean. But, I have not seen Chrysler, Ford, GM or Toyota in any of the dealers I worked at deny a warranty because of improper oil (I was on the Chrysler side, sometimes in multi franchise dealers).

Wonder why? Because it is near impossible to prove a customer used the wrong oil and be cost effective in the battle.

NYSUPstater

FWIW, I've used Rotella (T 5 or 6-forgot at the moment) Synthetic for past few years incl use in my old 6.Uh-Oh engine w/o any problems. Ford did announce recently for owners of '17's to NOT use any CK rated oils for reasons already mentioned. Ford will be offering something "new" in a short bit. So in meantime, they say to use CJ oil.

Ford is recommending the use of a new Motorcraft diesel engine oil for its Super Duty trucks and warning fleet and commercial customers to avoid using most new CK-4 or FA-4 oils because they may cause damage to the engine, the company told AutomotiveFleet.com.
Motocraft's WSS-M2C171-F1 formulation should be used in all Power Stroke diesels, especially the 6.7L that powers the F-250, F-350, and F-450, because it better protects the engine against high-mileage wear, according to the company. Ford had previously recommended CJ-4 formulations for its Super Duty trucks. On Dec. 1, the American Petroleum Institute began licensing the new CK-4 and FA-4 oils. CJ-4 oils will eventually be phased out.
Commercial users should avoid the FA-4 formulation due to its low viscosity. CK-4 motor oils should be avoided because they provide "inadequate wear protection," according to a statement. The oil drain intervals remain unaffected, said Sherrice Gilsbach, a Ford spokesperson.
The oil certification information is located on the back of the oil pouch in a circle known as the API donut.
Customers shouldn't use oils labeled CK-4/SN unless they have been approved by Ford to meet WSS-M2C171-F1. This is possible with SAE 10W-40, 15W-40, 5W-40 and 0W-40 oils. SAE 10W-30 oils showing CK-4/SN cannot meet WSS-M2C171-F1.
Motorcraft Super Duty diesel motor oil is formulated with premium hydroprocessed base oils and additive technology necessary to meet WSS-M2C171-F1. This new oil also meets the requirements of Cummins CES20086, Detroit Diesel 93K222, Volvo VDS-4.5 and Mack EOS-4.5, according to Ford.

NYSUPstater

Shell's website says there oil is good to go. Will call 'em Fri and report back. Don't think Shell would market a product that didn't hold up. Guess in the meantime if you can find T6 w/ CJ rating, buy it. Could Ford be attempting to force PS owners to have to buy Ford oil?

NYSUPstater

So I spoke w/ a Shell tech fella and here is what came of the conversation and use of Rotella oils.

In 6.7's that are out of warranty use T6 5w-40

In 6.7's still in warranty, use either T5 10w-30 or T4 15w-40 (dino oil). Leaned more towards the T5 than the T4. Is ok if you currently use T6 and switch to T5 and back to T6 once it get's Ford's blessing which should be in few months. The T5 is a blend while the T6 is full synthetic and lower "cold" rating.

He sent me a copy of the analysis which I tried to copy/paste, but didn't work, so will attempt later when the tech guru (son) gets home from school.

Hope this helps, but you gotta love environmentalists and how it messes everything up.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
According to the "experts" the new CK oil should be better than the CJ. Read about it HERE.

Peace
Dave

NYSUPstater

Cookie,

I agree. However, in Ford's testing, some CK oils are not meeting wear standards as of right now or Ford's specs for wear standards due to different "ingredients" in the CK oils. Shell rep is very confident the T6 will pass or meet Fords tests soon (ok few months). For right now tho, he recommended to use the T5 as it does meet Ford's specs/tests. If you want/need CK oil that meets Ford's specs/testing, as of now, seems that Motorcraft is the only approved oil. If you don't need the CK oil, CJ will still do (ie: T6 5w-40). If I was a bettin' man, I think the reasoning behind Shell rep saying to use T5 if you need CK oil is that it has something in it that meets Ford's specs that the current T6 CJ oils don't.

While waiting for this to settle down, I went online to Wal-Mart and Napa to check prices of T6 and rating if possible. WM didn't show the rating and was 21.50/gal (am thinking it's still the CJ). Napa is 29/gal and is the CJ. Was told by Napa that they will be having a sale on Rotella starting tomorrow, but wasn't sure of price--fella is thinking 19-20/gal.

It's to my understanding it's the '17 engines that require CK oil. '16's on back were ok w/ CJ, but rep said if still in warranty to use T5. I thought there would be 2 classes of oil (CJ & CK), but sounds like CJ is being phased out.

But here's the thing. If whatever 6.7 model year you have calls for CJ oil, don't get why the rep would say to use T5 if still under warranty if the T5 is CK rated. My '15 PS calls for CJ oil. Man this is getting more complicated than it needs to be. Ugh!

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
I think I am going to run the new oil in my 2012 6.7 and do what I always do with my draind oil, send a sample to Blackstone laboratorys to have it analyze. $25 plus I think about $5 for shipping they do a nice report and Email the results

NYSUPstater

You folks are going to shoot me w/ my posts on this. Out and about today and stopped by Ford dealer to get the scoop from them. Couple things came of the chat.

1. Being a "bulletin", it's just that a bulletin. If you have a engine that calls for CJ oil, it's warranted for that oil rating useage. Unless a mfr notified you in some fashion directly, they cannot void a warranty claim midstream thru the warranty. So in this case, if CJ oil is called for and you can still find it, ok to still use it. Of course Ford wants you to use their oil only. If you need to use CK oil, then as of now, use Ford's oil until the likes of Shell T6, Dello and others are accepted as substitute oil. Can use Rotella T5 until T6 is approved.

2. The CK oil will be a better product once all the kinks are worked out. Again Ford wants you to use their oil only.

So those w/ '16 and older engines that require CJ oil as called for in owners manual, use it.

Why does a good thing have to get messed up?????

travlingman

As I posted (#17) be careful if buying Shell Rotella T-6. Even though the bottle is marked as CJ, if it is the new style bottle, it is CK. They started this last fall, so finding the old bottles is very hard to do.