Ford 6.7 fuel system issues

porthole

Retired
5 trucks at the same dealership at the same time?

I have a 2011 F350 diesel and I have never used an additive. As the saying goes, "it's never too late to start", but, has the damage already been done or started???

I have about 80,000 miles on the truck.

I use the Ford stuff, PM-22 and PM-23 during the low temp weather. I buy all my filters and additives form Dieselfiltersonline.com. Best price and free shipping if you get your order over $250. And for those not in New Jersey, no tax as well.

Geodude

Yep, I run Ford's own PM-22 every tank in the summer (Canadian lubricity is a bit better than US but we go back and forth a lot so I just run it every tank). I run the winter Diesel Kleen (white bottle) every tank in, well, winter.

ncc1701e

At 55,350 miles the low pressure pump on my 2012 F250 went out. Religously I use PM22A with every tank (PM23A winter) and if I happen to forget to pick up some will grab a bottle of Dieselkleen from Walmart. With that said when I asked the dealer (who I have known for years) about if there was anything to do better or how often this happens. His response was not really. These pumps do go out on occassions. He did say that in his opinion to keep all the filters changed at very regular intervals even more often than recommened by Ford.

JanAndBill

Ya know I've run numerous tanks and forgot or didn't have additive. ...and I pondered the potential damage I was surly doing for a quite a bit (well for at least as long as it took to fill up) lol...

I have LOTS of friends who have 6.7 ford's and BEAT THEM and might even change the oil once in a while....never an issue....heck other than what I read I have never personally come across another owner who has had a high pressure pump implode (and this is texas! There are no less than 12 6.7 ford's owned by my immediate neighbrs!!) Other than my brother in law who has managed to break EVERY SINGLE NEW TRUCK he has bought from every manufacturer (tows way overloaded, way too fast daily and should be in a 650/750)

Anyway, given the sheer number of these trucks out there and the numbers of failures of any sort, I would guess the odds are in your favor that nothing will ever happen. ....BUT much like we put tpms and surge guards on our trailers and nothing usually happens it's relatively cheap insurance against worst case scenario and the ensuing frustration that would come with that..

So to answer your question in my opinion.....probably no damage and never too late...

As I mentioned before, contaminated fuel was the #1 cause of pump/fuel system issues with bosch pumps...

But that's a whole different thread for debate and discussion..lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Tend to agree with you. Think it might be because most owners don't post about their truck "unless " they're having problems.

cdensomnia

I have had several 6.7s and never did use an additive with no issues. Recently, towing my Cyclone 4200 I have seen my temperatures climb faster than i would like on steep grades so i started researching additives. I ran across Archoil AR9100 oil treatment and AR6200 fuel treatment. Its a little expensive but on the fuel additive a little goes a long way. I have been using it now for 4 tanks and I will say the combo of the two make a noticeable difference. Just went through the Ozarks and my temperatures stayed in check as long as i wasn't trying to hot rod while towing up hill. Some people say their mileage is better but i haven't seen a difference. I will continue using both additives from now on. The manufacturer even says you can double your oil change mileage. Not sure i will do that but will keep monitoring. BTW i found this stuff via powerstrokehelp.com youtube videos. They have some compelling evidence that convinced me this stuff was worth a shot.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

MikeR

He did say that in his opinion to keep all the filters changed at very regular intervals even more often than recommened by Ford.

The first thing Ford is going to look at, if your HPFP has gone bad, is whether your fuel filters have been changed per their maintenance schedule. I agree that doing it more often than scheduled is a good idea.

I question the original posters motives. He just registered on the forum and his first and only post is about a truck that he uses in a business. His profile doesn't even show that he owns an RV. I wonder how many other forums he joined, to post about Ford, because they won't cover his problem.

danemayer

I question the original posters motives. He just registered on the forum and his first and only post is about a truck that he uses in a business. His profile doesn't even show that he owns an RV. I wonder how many other forums he joined, to post about Ford, because they won't cover his problem.

You might be right, but he's only reporting what's happening. And it should be of interest to us. You can browse other forums and find that Ford routinely denies warranty coverage when the HPFP disintegrates, leaving the owner to pay a very large repair bill.

Interestingly, GMC uses the same Bosch part. When it disintegrates for the same reasons as on a Ford, GMC does cover it under warranty. Saved me $12-15,000, which is what the dealer said it would have cost if not covered.

And there seem to be fewer reports of this problem on RAM trucks, for whatever reason.

And in Canada, where the diesel fuel is better, this seems to be a rare problem.

Is Ford right to say that this problem is not a manufacturing defect? I suppose in a strict interpretation that's true. But considering that they know the Diesel fuel spec, and that they selected a pump that has a spec that is a poor fit for the fuel spec, should they cover the repairs? I think so.

GMC at least recognizes that they are in part responsible and they cover it.

And from what I've seen, Bosch has improved the pump and newer vehicles are less susceptible to this expensive problem.

MikeR

You might be right, but he's only reporting what's happening. And it should be of interest to us. You can browse other forums and find that Ford routinely denies warranty coverage when the HPFP disintegrates, leaving the owner to pay a very large repair bill.

Dan, I don't disagree with your post regarding the OP. The fact is we only know three things about the truck; 1.) It has a 6.7 L motor, 2.) There are metal shavings in the fuel rail, 3.) Ford is not paying for the repair. We don't know the history of maintenance on the truck, we don't know the mileage, and we don't even know if it is in warranty. It just bothers me a little when somone makes a post, to complain about anything and doesn't back up the complaint with any facts.

Nothing like a comment on a truck to get a lot of chatter going.

All recent model heavy duty diesels have had problems. Many of these problems relate to modifications made to comply with EPA rules and contaminated bio-fuel. Manufacturer competition to increase power probably also adds strain to engines. Owner neglect and ignorance contribute to other problems, for example, excessive idling or not changing filters. Other problems occur because of manufacture defects. I had an early 2011 6.7 with a bad turbo. Eventually, Ford determined that they had a bad run of turbos in early 2011's and replaced it.

All that said, newer model gas and diesel engines are much better and have far fewer problems than they were when I was younger.

I agree with others about the original post that started this string of comments. It contains insufficient information to draw any conclusion. Moreover, the person making the post has failed to respond to repeated questions. Somewhat rude.

ncc1701e

I should have said in my original reply. Ford paid for all repairs including the tow truck to get my truck to the dealer.

To bash a product line does nothing in this forum. However, sharing what we are doing to maintain these rather expensive vechicles does help us all.