FORD check coolant additive message

Jim-Lynn

What I find the easiest, every time I get my oil change, I ask the dealer to check it. That way I never have a reminder come on. I did it for my 2011 350DRW and now my 2015 DRW.

Jim

Fojo

I have a 2012 F350 6.7 liter diesel 4x4 truck, where are the 2 drain cocks for the primary and secondary radiators and how do you get to them, which way do you turn them to drain the antifreeze- thanx

alexb2000

On my 2016 with 27K I just had to add the VC-12 so don't believe this is a 100K thing, they made that reminder for a reason. My research shows that many trucks need VC-12 at 25-30K miles just like mine did.

Don't trust the dealer! The diesel tech doesn't do the testing, it is usually the guy working the service drive. They are real quick to say nothing is wrong and reset the reminder.

I bought Napa part number 4107 for $25 and tested both systems myself. It showed the coolant additive low. So I took it to the dealer and the kid working the service drive tested it with their strips and he said it was OK. I showed him that the PH was ok but there are three tests done with each strip and the middle test is the one that you have to watch. He was surprised and said he had never been trained on how to read the strips.

So then they put in the additive for free after being caught making a mistake.

BTW I had read the instructions that say drain a sample, but I didn't, and I watched the Ford dealer dip the test strip in the expansion tank just like I did. Not ideal, but that's the real world. I would expect any dealer testing them for free is doing the same.

fastcarsspeed

You are correct. It is all about run time / idle time. Also the test strips apparently have expiration dates and were not the cheapest when I looked a while ago. If you get your oil changed at the dealer having them check it is probably best.