Ford DEF - usage

MTPockets

The DEF settings on the 6.7 is "Normal" or "Towing" modes. Sometimes I forget to change the setting. Who "knows" the difference. Truck seems to use more DEF when in tow mode, but what happens if left in Normal when towing? Or, in Tow mode when not towing?

Jim.Allison

The DEF settings on the 6.7 is "Normal" or "Towing" modes. Sometimes I forget to change the setting. Who "knows" the difference. Truck seems to use more DEF when in tow mode, but what happens if left in Normal when towing? Or, in Tow mode when not towing?

I may not know anything about this but my question is, are you sure the "tow haul" mode you are talking about is about DEF usage,? or rather the switch that allows you to tell the truck that you are connected to a load and you that you want your transmission to delay upshifting?

MTPockets

I may not know anything about this but my question is, are you sure the "tow haul" mode you are talking about is about DEF usage,? or rather the switch that allows you to tell the truck that you are connected to a load and you that you want your transmission to delay upshifting?
I'm talking about the setting on the computer dash display. Not the tow haul button. The information center settings where you can reset when the oil is changed, check DEF level, engine and trans temps, avg mpg, etc... Under settings, vehicle, DEF, I can select normal or tow. I'm wondering what is happening in the engine when one or the other is selected or not.

mobilcastle

I believe it is normal to use more when towing. May have something to do with the particulate filter needing to be cleaned more often-you are using more fuel when towing (lower MPG). Ask your dealer or mechanic.

bigdob24

I have a 2014 350 and just looked to verify, its DTE " Distance to Empty" and does not have anything to do with the DEF fluid.
All that would be done thru the system on the truck nothing for us to change or adjust.
The DTE change just changes the fuel MPG on the gauge nothing more.
Have a look at yours , I'm betting its the same.

MikeR

I'm talking about the setting on the computer dash display. Not the tow haul button. The information center settings where you can reset when the oil is changed, check DEF level, engine and trans temps, avg mpg, etc... Under settings, vehicle, DEF, I can select normal or tow. I'm wondering what is happening in the engine when one or the other is selected or not.

On my 2012 F350, mine reads different than yours. Under Settings, I have no reference to DEF at all. If I go to Settings, Vehicle and then scroll down to DTE (distance to empty), it gives me the option of Normal History Used or Towing History Used. Their is no reference to DEF at all. Actually there is no reference to what is going to be empty. I would assume it would be fuel, but that's just a guess.

Possibly they changed the format in 2013, because it is so ambiguous as to its meaning on mine.

DocFather

Check out the Ford chart I posted just now. It gives comparisons for DEF usage under different scenarios. Actually, I just looked at it again. It isn't that great a chart. :mad:

MTPockets

I have a 2014 350 and just looked to verify, its DTE " Distance to Empty" and does not have anything to do with the DEF fluid.
All that would be done thru the system on the truck nothing for us to change or adjust.
The DTE change just changes the fuel MPG on the gauge nothing more.
Have a look at yours , I'm betting its the same.
Thanks - "This" is the answer. You're right. It says DTE. My brain was interpreting this as DEF and It wasn't making sense. I think I'll stop worrying about changing the setting and leave it on normal. With my auxiliary tank, I usually go by miles driven and try to fill around 700 miles.

pegmikef

I don't remember where (maybe my service tech), but I was told that DEF usage is proportionate to fuel consumption. Since fuel consumption is greater during towing it makes sense that DEF usage would be greater as well.

porthole

Retired
DEF usage is based on engine load.

Just an FYI, when you first get to the "under 1/2 full" message you most likely will not get a full 2.5 gallon jug of DEF in the tank. You will get most of it in and the remainder on the side of your truck.

If you spill it, rinse as soon as you can.

MTPockets

DEF usage is based on engine load.

Just an FYI, when you first get to the "under 1/2 full" message you most likely will not get a full 2.5 gallon jug of DEF in the tank. You will get most of it in and the remainder on the side of your truck.

If you spill it, rinse as soon as you can.
I've waited until I get the 500 mile warning and bought two of the 2 1/2 gallon totes. First one was fine, but second did the same as yours. It took maybe 4 1/2 gallons total when it got some on the truck. I had a bottle of window cleaner which I promptly applied.