Frame Flex Again

Dave49

First of all I want to say Heartland has treated me well in the past. I once had the infamous frame flex that was repaired in 2013 by Heartland at no cost to me other than getting the unit to them. They did as they said they would in a time frame that I was told. But now comes my dilemma. It's back the frame flex once again it appears and I called Hearltland and explained to them what was going on and sent pictures. They say that it looked like it may be just screws coming loose out of the trim. I pulled the rubber back and checked and everything was tight. I told them this and we spoke that maybe I should get ahold of Lippert because they were the ones that did the welding. So I called Lippert and Lippert wanted a case file. Guess what, Heartland had no case file. Just a piece of paper that says Lippert was to weld both sides. And that's all they had on it. So Lippert says if we didn't do it, then that's a good thing. I then went back to Heartland with an email and got no reply. I then sent another email asking what I should do and guess what, no response. So it appears to me that the paperwork has disappeared some how. Imagine that!!

I do understand that the unit is now 8 yrs old, but they said I would never have to worry about this again and I think they should at least come up with something and back there work. Maybe I'm wrong and I may be. But at least I should get correspondence back from my email at least saying we are not going to do anything instead of just ignoring a good customer.

Ok rant is over.

jnbhobe

Mine has been there 3 times for the same fix, last summer it did separate the caulk at the trim but I will caulk it this year again.

asherwin

Heartland and Lippert repaired my frame flex issue summer of '15 at Heartland's new service location. They did an excellent job and also within the time frame stated with my only cost being getting the rig there and my accommodation costs for the five days they had it. The caulking along the horizontal trim of the front overhang on the off door side has started to separate when hitched. I have recaulked several times so that is not the issue. I am keeping an eye on it to see if it gets worse. If it does I will engage Heartland to see if they will address it. I await with interest the outcome of your interaction with Heartland.

jbeletti

Dave - Dan Mayer flagged this to me. I have passed it on to the VP of Customer Service and asked them to take a new look at this. Thanks.

Dave49

Thank you for the input and I just now see that Don from Heartland called yesterday and left a message. He wanted to know about the issues that I am having with it now. Saturday I will return his call Monday. Will keep you posted on the results.

Thanks again everyone.

Piperflyer

Heartland and Lippert repaired my frame flex issue summer of '15 at Heartland's new service location. They did an excellent job and also within the time frame stated with my only cost being getting the rig there and my accommodation costs for the five days they had it. The caulking along the horizontal trim of the front overhang on the off door side has started to separate when hitched. I have recaulked several times so that is not the issue. I am keeping an eye on it to see if it gets worse. If it does I will engage Heartland to see if they will address it. I await with interest the outcome of your interaction with Heartland.

You mentioned Heartland's new service location. Where is it and what type of repairs will they do. Do you need to make appointments in advance? Thanks..

danemayer

You mentioned Heartland's new service location. Where is it and what type of repairs will they do. Do you need to make appointments in advance? Thanks..

Street address is something like 2901 Dexter Drive, Elkhart, IN. HQ is 2831 and the service bldg is just a few feet north of HQ.

Appointments generally need to be made far in advance, and they don't take everyone who calls. The first priority is warranty work that a local dealer may not have expertise to do. It's probably easier to get in during the winter and hardest when the North American Rally is happening.

Dave49

I made my appointment in June while at the '15 National Rally for August of that year.

Last time I had the fix done I made the appt. in the fall for the following spring as we were to our winter destination and not moving anywhere and I didn't want to drive back and get into snow. Took a week for the fix as they stated. Drop it off on Monday and pick it up Friday. And that's exactly what happened.

Dave49

Update on my frame flex issue:

I have been contacted by Heartland thanks to this forum. Don McWilliams called me and got the info from me and decided that we will look at it and determine the problem. New way of doing business with them is you have to fill out a form and send it to them, then the scheduler's will get ahold of you and set up a date. I called Don to make sure he had gotten my email with the form and he said he had and was sending over to them. So far no call on a date. Hoping to hear from them soon.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Dave49

Dave - Dan Mayer flagged this to me. I have passed it on to the VP of Customer Service and asked them to take a new look at this. Thanks.

Dan and Jim and all:

With all your help I got a call from the schedulers on my issue with the frame flex. I have set up an appt. for July 9th to drop off the trailers for a week to get it repaired. Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that Heartland is once again stepping up to the plate and taking care of me. Can't ask for anymore than that.

Thank all of you for the help, it is appreciated right along with Heartland!!

Dave Mingus

jbeletti

Dan and Jim and all:

With all your help I got a call from the schedulers on my issue with the frame flex. I have set up an appt. for July 9th to drop off the trailers for a week to get it repaired. Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that Heartland is once again stepping up to the plate and taking care of me. Can't ask for anymore than that.

Thank all of you for the help, it is appreciated right along with Heartland!!

Dave Mingus

Dave, happy to hear you are on a good course on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ray587

Mine was repaired at Heartland 2 years ago and it's starting to do the same thing also. When you take the weight off the landing gear now you can watch the bedroom slide shift also.

mlpeloquin

Heartland chipped in to help me with mine at an independent RV repair facility. I had heaver gauge fasteners installed and doubled up on them. So far so good. The heads of the OEM fasteners snapped off!

Dave49

Dave, happy to hear you are on a good course on this.

Jim and Dane. I dropped off my unit to have the frame flex repaired on Monday. Weds. I recieved an email stating it was done. I am more than thankfull for the help you two gave me along with the huge help from Heartland Service Center. I drove it home 250 miles with abslolutely no issues. For someone that thought maybe I was in big trouble with my issue it was all resolved and I can say I am one happy Glamper.

Thank you once again. Terry at the service Center was great to work with and I have to yet send a letter to Don McWilliams as he was very instrumental in gettting this done. Have a good day everyone, I am!!

Last edited:

jbeletti

Great news Dave! Thanks for keeping calm and reaching out to Heartland to give them a chance. See you down the road!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just to let folks know, if you see a "gap" opening up at the molding at the overhang, we were told by the service Center that Lippert's acceptable amount of gap is 1/4" before they deem it necessary for repair.

lynndiwagoner

Is this something that can be done by the owner using new fastening? What exactly is causing this? I have a little over one quarter of an inch of gap when hooked up. This is on the trim of the overhang on the street side. Thanks.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Dave, I'm glad they got your trailer fixed (again). Hope this one lasts for the duration.

jnbhobe

Is this something that can be done by the owner using new fastening? What exactly is causing this? I have a little over one quarter of an inch of gap when hooked up. This is on the trim of the overhang on the street side. Thanks.
You have frame flex ,call Heartland

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk