Frame Flex

Dave49

Thank you, that gives a lot more confidence for the haul. I been looking at the Landmark also and that may happen if they come up with a desk like the Bighorn 3670 has. I like my desk.

Dave

wdk450

Dave:
I don't know if they still have them, but the Landmark Augusta was the same floorplan as the Bighorn 3670RL.

Thank you, that gives a lot more confidence for the haul. I been looking at the Landmark also and that may happen if they come up with a desk like the Bighorn 3670 has. I like my desk.

Dave

rick_debbie_gallant

Just another kudo from us. Had the same issue with the frame flex and a Large crack on the side of the rig. Heartland came through and fixed our rig good. Still holding up several years later

artsbighorn

We had our 3670 at the factory this summer to have the same problem fixed.They did a super job .Well Done HL.We got a real good discount at the Staybridge hotel through HL. Again Super Kudo HEARTLAND Crew.

Westwind

I know Heartland/Bighorn Division is doing a great job helping owners resolve frame problems, but wouldn't it be better to get Lippert to beef up these frames prior to construction. I can imagine what it is costing them to make these repairs. Not only that it's a good way to frighten off prospective purchaser's of your product when they read these postings on RV forums.
I do know that metal can fatigue after awhile, especially with hard use over our well kept up highways across the USA, but to me a little extra welded metal doesn't hurt.

Lance & Jo

Ok have been given the answer. After letting them know this was my home and I am always on the road they just got back to me from customer service. Although my warranty has expired they explained to me that this could not be fixed in the field and that if I agreed to getting the unit to them they would fix it with no charge to me. I would have to get lodging on my own and they would not pay for fuel. I myself believe this is more than fair and commend Heartland for standing behind there product. It says volume for them.

With us being down in AL and then a one time move to FL. in Dec and there schedule full till Jan. we agreed that we will bring it in May on our way back as traveling in the winter in snow is not a good thing. They assured me there will be no problem traveling with this problem. I'm hoping not as we have approx. 1400 miles before we get there.

So all in all I am happy with the decision and thank Heartland for standing behind there product.

Dave

Dave the same thing happened to us at the last Goshen Ralley and a word of caution as to the "no cost". First there was Jim B. allowing Jo to sit in his new theater chair which caused a trip to Flair (and a complete re-model of the living area), then there was the great deal on a new Trail Air pin box along with a new spring pack, a set of 4 LED's for the galley, Jo's new addicition to "Chubby Trout".... I could go on but you get the picture. You could end it all with a good laugh by asking the guys at the reapair shop about the time they put the wrong front cap on a 3670!

Dave49

Yikes never thought about that, but then again always looking for a great addition, and deal!!! lol

Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Dave the same thing happened to us at the last Goshen Ralley and a word of caution as to the "no cost". First there was Jim B. allowing Jo to sit in his new theater chair which caused a trip to Flair (and a complete re-model of the living area), then there was the great deal on a new Trail Air pin box along with a new spring pack, a set of 4 LED's for the galley, Jo's new addicition to "Chubby Trout".... I could go on but you get the picture. You could end it all with a good laugh by asking the guys at the reapair shop about the time they put the wrong front cap on a 3670!

LOL!....I wish they would have done that when we were there...the "Bighorn" decal on our front cap has been slightly skewed since day one..up side , I can always tell which one is mine at Heartland rallies...

jlb27537

Hello Group,

I am in the process of gathering information on Toy Haulers. The idea of frame issues is just not something I want to even consider. Is there a model, year, length, series that the frame issues are showing up?

Is this a Lippert problem who built the frames to their specs or is this a Heartland problem with Lippert frames that Heartland speced?

Thanks Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim, I think that the frame flex was mostly on some older model Landmark and Bighorns.
I don't think it is an issue today.
Can't tell you who specked the frames.

Peace
Dave

Vtxkid

Frame flex is something we are having to get Heartland to look at fixing also. It's only a 2-3" area that shifts about an 1/8th" or so but still needs attention. I want to schedule it during our Goshen trip this June also. Need to take pics with the RV's weight on the truck and off the truck before the call is made.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC

n2snow2

Jim, I think that the frame flex was mostly on some older model Landmark and Bighorns.
I don't think it is an issue today.
Can't tell you who specked the frames.

Peace
Dave

i dont have a toy hauler but my bighorn is a 2012 and at the factory for this problem....................

Cyncwby

I joined this forum in '09 as the wife and I were looking at the 3055, after reading all of the Lippert frame problems and the economy taking a dive we decided to hold off. Now things are a little better but I keep reading here and on other forums that the frame problems still exisit........amazing!! You would think that in 4 yrs. Lippert/Heartland as well as other RV mfgs. would have gotten their combined act together and started producing a frame that does not fall apart at the king pin area or crack near the axles. I've read the same problems on the Keystone Forrest River forums......they all use the Lippert frame as you know.

Other that what I've read recently has ANYTHING been done to address these problems. We still like the 3055 but until these issues are fixed there's no way I would invest in one just to have it torn apart and "repaired" instead of it being done properly BEFORE it leaves the factory. By the way I've left several voice mails at Heartland in regards to this with absolutely no responce back, that just speaks volumes to me.....Dave

artsbighorn

Hi,
I talked to Steve Kennel & Eric McDaniel at Heartland's RV'S Dealer Services PH# 574-262-8030. We did have to take the RV to Elkhart for the repair's.They did a GREAT JOB & we are VERY HAPPY CAMPER'S.
Art

danemayer

Hi Cyncwby,

I can't give you a precise answer, but I can give you my impression from reading almost every post to this forum over the past couple of years.

First, the number of posts about frame flex is pretty small. Out of tens of thousands of trailers sold, there's a handful that have had frame problems.

Second, from the posts, I would estimate that most of the problems were on specific models built 3 or 4 years ago. Hardly any such reports on recent model years. I can't tell you what's changed, but obviously something has.

Third, a number of posters have reported that Heartland has fixed the frames even on trailers several years out of warranty.

My takeaway would be that there's a pretty small chance of having a frame problem today. And if you're the unfortunate exception who does, it's a pretty good bet that Heartland will take care of you.

The vast majority of Heartland owners on this forum will tell you that they love their rigs. If you decide to move forward, you can be one of them.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
One change was with the 2010 model Bighorn and Landmarks they changed the frame in front where it goes vertical to the upper deck. On older units the front wall, where the cargo door is completely vertical. After 2010 you will note this wall is angled forward...this is due to an added a large gussett between the upper and lower deck for more strength, thereby reducing flex.

Cyncwby

Thanks for the replys.....but I would have to see pictures or a diagram of the before and after upgrades to the front of the framework. If Lippert/Heartland has in fact done this then they shouldn't have a problem in divulging just what and how they fixed the problem area's. Can they show us or do we just take thier word for it?? I don't think so, also I think that there are more than a "handful" of folks that had problems, seems that's all I was reading about. Example, post #34 just above mine, n2snow2 has his 2012 in for frame repair. So all is well with the frames now??

Believe me, I understand that an RV is a rolling earthquake and there are bound to be some issues but if the frames were built properly then there shouldn't have been any problems to start with. Now also I see that they have changed from the Mission to the Towmaster Chinabombs. Why don't they just install a quality tire like the Maxxis, Michelin or even the Goodyear G614's? I would much rather pay the extra up front instead of having a blowout on the road somewhere and tear my rig up. I'm really not a negative kind of guy....but this just doesn't make any sense to me......Dave

danemayer

Thanks for the replys.....but I would have to see pictures or a diagram of the before and after upgrades to the front of the framework.
I hope you can get your questions answered to your satisfaction so you can join in the fun.