Frame Flex

jnbhobe

Why don't you set up a tour of the factory then you will see how its built from the bare frame up.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I had a 2008 and now have a 2013... I can readily see the addition of the large gussett. By the way, never had a frame problem on the 2008, but did have some busted welds in the aluminum sidewall, most likely due to excess "flex" of the upper deck, which this change has helped to reduce or eliminate. A lot of people mistake this sidewall problem with frame breakage....very rarely does the frame break, but excess movement can cause sidewall weld breaks which, in turn, will crack the gelcoat or seperate at the trim piece on the upperdeck.

These sidewall issues can also be caused by other issues, I.e., rough roads, overloading, etc.

Cyncwby

UHHHHH, don't think I'm going to drive (or fly) from So. Utah back to Elkhart to go on a tour thanks. They could however email me some pics of the changes made. If they would ever answer the phone or their voice mails I would discuss that exact thing with them.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think asking questions on a forum about the quality of any RV, you will get many polarized positives and negatives.

Most forum members here on a regular basis have posted issues hoping for help from other owners, who genuinely try to help. (And often do!). Here, HL representatives often chime in. Here, HL has proactively called forum members to help them solve issues. I don't know if you'll find that on other brands' forums.

All RVs will have issues. If you focus only on these, you will never be a happy camper. The difference with HL is THIS forum of owners, and that HL truly supports the owners and stands behind their product, even past the warranty.

Going forward, I think it will be hard for any of us to change your mind. But for future readers, I hope that they see the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n2snow2

UHHHHH, don't think I'm going to drive (or fly) from So. Utah back to Elkhart to go on a tour thanks. They could however email me some pics of the changes made. If they would ever answer the phone or their voice mails I would discuss that exact thing with them.
mine had to go back for the frame flex its a 2012 bighorn they sent it back i called heartland .and asked for some kind of invoice of what was done to my camper and was told i wouldnt understand . the invoice my fithwheel is at the dealer im not taking delivery off it until they can produce some kinda paper work this poor old iowa boy can understand.im not taking anyones word on anything..........................

Cyncwby

You see this man's (n2snow2) problem is a perfect example, he has a 2012 with a frame flex problem and had to send it back to the factory, by his narrative it sounds like it's brand new. Now he has it back at his dealer but Heartland won't tell him or show him what steps were taken to fix the frame????? Then they insult the man by basically telling him that he is too stupid to understand??? This man is a CUSTOMER!! Just what kind of customer service is that? I wouldn't take delivery either until I was shown exactly how it was fixed.

Also I had to laugh at this....."If you only focus on these, you will never be a happy camper"........ is n2snow2 a happy camper? I'll bet he was happy until he HAD to "focus" on a frame flex problem that shouldn't exsist to start with......on a new rig? Are you kidding me?

jlb27537

You see this man's (n2snow2) problem is a perfect example, he has a 2012 with a frame flex problem and had to send it back to the factory, by his narrative it sounds like it's brand new. Now he has it back at his dealer but Heartland won't tell him or show him what steps were taken to fix the frame????? Then they insult the man by basically telling him that he is too stupid to understand??? This man is a CUSTOMER!! Just what kind of customer service is that? I wouldn't take delivery either until I was shown exactly how it was fixed.

Also I had to laugh at this....."If you only focus on these, you will never be a happy camper"........ is n2snow2 a happy camper? I'll bet he was happy until he HAD to "focus" on a frame flex problem that shouldn't exsist to start with......on a new rig? Are you kidding me?

This why I am considering a Excel.

TravelTiger

Also I had to laugh at this....."If you only focus on these, you will never be a happy camper"...

What I'm saying is that if you are looking for a 100% problem-free rig, you'll never find it. If you want to enjoy RVing, you have to deal with these things and find a way to move past them. Everyone that owns an RV has, or will have, some kind of "issue".

jlb27537

What I'm saying is that if you are looking for a 100% problem-free rig, you'll never find it. If you want to enjoy RVing, you have to deal with these things and find a way to move past them. Everyone that owns an RV has, or will have, some kind of "issue".

TravelTiger, you are missing the point. I fulltimmed for 10 years, did a lot of miles. Never did I have a issue with my Newmar 5th Frame. Yes, the hot water heater needed a elec element, $10. A few broken drawer mount brackets, new screws maybe a buck, all things I could fix.

But to have the frame crack, break and tell someone they should expect a problem. You need to have a reality check.

I presently have a 16 year old diesel pusher. Do you think I am worrying about the frame cracking, maybe the hitch falling off. Nope. I am trying to buy something as dependable as my last 5th wheel, a 2001 Newmar 36LKSA

It appears there are few company's that build them like they used to.

danemayer

Seems like this is devolving into a lot of speculation driving arguments that aren't likely to be resolved here. So let's pause for a moment.

Any prospective customers looking to get more information should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. Identify yourself as a prospective customer and ask to speak with the brand sales team. Hopefully they'll be able to satisfy your concerns.

If you've had work done and refuse to pick up your trailer until someone writes some type of formal invoice that meets whatever test you have in mind, I'd suggest you also pick up the phone to discuss further with Heartland Service so they can understand exactly what you're trying to accomplish. Perhaps you can reach some agreement.

TravelTiger

It appears there are few company's that build them like they used to.

This is my point exactly, all I was trying to say. I was not commenting specifically on the frame issue. Therefore, any RV buyer needs to be aware, vigilant with maintenance, handy doing minor repairs, and have a cup of patience handy.

We choose to roll with the punches and enjoy the friends and experiences we have while we're in our Heartland.

Good luck in your quest.

Erika

Dave49

Wow, I haven't looked at this thread in a long time. And I see I brought some attention to this problem. The attention was not to cause problems, or call out Heartland on it. I posted because I had a problem I needed addressed. I was told to call HL customer service and I did. They in turn told me they would fix this unit at no cost to me other than getting the unit to them and because I am a fulltimer that I would have to get accomodations on my own. Now just stop and think of this, the warranty has expired and they could have said your warranty is up so sorry. They didn't say that, and I will be taken care of. I believe that is about as fair as anyone could be. Would I like more, of course I would, but I don't expect it. I take this in on a Mon. and pick it up on Fri. Thats 4 nights in a hotel or other accomodations. Not bad for a major repair. Am I upset this happened, of course I am and not happy with it either. Wish this frame flex issue would go away period and no one have to deal with it. And this is where it upsets me. This issue isn't just HL, it's several manufactures having this problem, and it's been going on for years. You would think they would have a cure for this problem by now. But, who is responsible? The manufacturer, frame builder, or maybe even the owner of the unit. It's just not a cut and dried issue.

Ok I have said my say on this, and hopefully we can all come to a cure for this issue and just get on to doing what we love, Rving!!

Have a good day all.
Dave

jlb27537

I am in Gulf Shores AL staying in the Gulf State Park. When we got here and I took the 2011 Bighorn 3670 off the truck I noticed that I had a gap open up on the door side between the front cap and the side wall and underneath. Further investigation revealed movenent in the bedroom closet on the door side. There is at least a 1/2 inch movement up and down. It is my assumption frame flex, broken weld somewhere in that area. View attachment 21938View attachment 21939

Sorry the first time at putting a picture up. Anyone know of a good place to get this repaired in this area?

Dave

Dave, I am looking at buying a older NuWa product. They used Lippert Frames on some of their smaller units and found they were not satisfactory for their heavier units.

I just got off the phone from a owner of a NuWa DA 329 on a Lippert Frame. He has traded this unit in on a new HH and in asking him about it, what should I look at, he mentioned that when he let the weight rest on the hitch, the side walls had a crack in the caulking and when he raised it on the front jacks the crack closed.

So, it is not a Heartland problem, NuWa/Hitchiker products have the same issues. The front pin box is just not strong enough. My Newmar had a Fabex frame and was trouble free, but they are gone. So, as I mentioned in a earlier past, buy something on something other than a Lippert Frame.

When we vote with our $$ only then will they understand.

Jim

Dave49

Dave, I am looking at buying a older NuWa product. They used Lippert Frames on some of their smaller units and found they were not satisfactory for their heavier units.

I just got off the phone from a owner of a NuWa DA 329 on a Lippert Frame. He has traded this unit in on a new HH and in asking him about it, what should I look at, he mentioned that when he let the weight rest on the hitch, the side walls had a crack in the caulking and when he raised it on the front jacks the crack closed.

So, it is not a Heartland problem, NuWa/Hitchiker products have the same issues. The front pin box is just not strong enough. My Newmar had a Fabex frame and was trouble free, but they are gone. So, as I mentioned in a earlier past, buy something on something other than a Lippert Frame.

When we vote with our $$ only then will they understand.

Jim

Keystone, which I owned prior to this Bighorn also has the same problem. One of the reasons why I didn't go with them again when I bought new. I know they say Lippert only builds to the manufacturers specs, but if that the case all the manufacturers are either using the same design or designers, and we know thats not the case. So my guess is more blame on Lippert than anyone. Problem is, that it's happening along with other issues. But yet when you look at the whole picture, how many thousand units out there that aren't having a problem, Thats what I keep hoping for once mine is repaired. My hope is that I get it repaired next month and I drive away with never a problem again with the frame. And after talking with HL on this, they have convinced me it will be right.

Dave

wdk450

If you take a front side view of the pinbox overhang/front storage door if the storage door is vertical, you have the old style frame construction. If your storage door angles out some you have the new (re-enforced) frame construction.

Old Style Bighorn Old Style.jpg New Style Bighorn New Style.jpg

Click on the images to make them larger and make the difference more evident.

Dave49

If you take a front side view of the pinbox overhang/front storage door if the storage door is vertical, you have the old style frame construction. If your storage door angles out some you have the new (re-enforced) frame construction.

Old Style View attachment 23698 New Style View attachment 23699

Click on the images to make them larger and make the difference more evident.

I deffinately have to the new style. But all I can say is that I have problems on the door side right where the front cap, underhang and sidewall come together. No one has actually got inside and looked so it may not be as bad as it appears to me. So far have put miles on the rig heading back north and there is no change in the condition. Hopefully it's not a big deal. We will see, and I am confident that HL will make it right.

Dave

Dave49

Update on this issue. Scheduled appt with the factory was drop off trailer at 8:00 am Monday May 6, and pick up May 10. It all went as scheduled and promised. The front of the trailer looks brand new and I am one happy camper as they say. I couldn't ask for anything more out of Heartland and the way they stand behind there product. The people I worked with were pleasent and sit there and took the time to explain what they did to repair it and how they did it. They made sure I was pleased with the work and I can't be more happier.

Thank you once again Heartland!!

Dave

Vtxkid

Update on this issue. Scheduled appt with the factory was drop off trailer at 8:00 am Monday May 6, and pick up May 10. It all went as scheduled and promised. The front of the trailer looks brand new and I am one happy camper as they say. I couldn't ask for anything more out of Heartland and the way they stand behind there product. The people I worked with were pleasent and sit there and took the time to explain what they did to repair it and how they did it. They made sure I was pleased with the work and I can't be more happier.

Thank you once again Heartland!!

Dave

Dave49, I also was up in Elkhart with my RV turned over to Tim at the Heartland repair shop last Monday morning 5/6. I came in town and drove straight over to the shop. Tim took our unit in at 0615 that morning and performed the frame flex repairs, afterwards, we picked it up yesterday afternoon and drove back to Virginia Beach. They did a great job and was well worth the drive! Sorry we didn't get to meet you during the repairs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

wdk450

Gang:
Yes, I have the frame flex issue on my Bighorn. Yes, I have to tow it 2000 miles from California (and back) for the repair. Yes, I now have the rig at my local RV repairer doing enough inspection and patch welds so I feel O.K. about towing those 2000 miles. Yes, the last 2 items are gong to cost me some money (maybe close to $3000, by my estimate). But Heartland is going to remove the front cap, re-enforce the frame, do all repainting and trim work to make the trailer like new in these areas, taking a week of a repair crew's time - ALL OF THIS FREE ON A 5 YEAR OLD UNIT!!! This is unheard of in the RV industry. I am counting on driving away from the factory as happy as VTXKid and Dave 49 were.

You know, I go to a lot of Heartland Rallies. I have been to 16 now including 2 Western Regional Rallies (will be 3 in October) and 1 National Rally (will be 2 when I finally start driving back home). HEARTLAND'S SUPPORT OF US OWNERS AND THESE RALLIES IS AWESOME - ESPECIALLY THE REGIONAL/NATIONAL RALLIES. I got a full return on my owners club membership fee at the first Regional Rally I attended. The gift handouts to owners from Heartland at the Gillette rally lasted 45 minutes, starting with a number of big screen TV's. Heartland crews fixed 2 items for me free at the Gillette national rally, and I am counting on them to fix 2 more free at the upcoming Goshen rally.

So yes, I have had some problems, and to get them repaired I am going to have to do my part, but Heartland comes through for me. Count me as a Heartland Cheerleader!! Go Heartland!!!