Fridge doors won't stay closed

Birchwood

The lock on our four door fidge looks fine but sometimes when we check it while travelling
the freezer door will be open and contents of freezer on the floor.For some reason the lock
backs off.We are thinking of a simple door lock as a backup.Has anyone else had this problem?

Westwind

We have the opposite problem, my wife has a difficult time opening the doors. I would get in touch with the refrig manufacturer. They might have a fix or new latches that might help, they shouldn't be opening.

brianharrison

Yes - sometimes the latch does not "click" into place - needed for travel to keep the door closed. Our routine is to push on all latches before we travel to make sure they are clicked into place. Yours may be worn that it will not stay closed even after pushing on it. You can purchase replacement latches. Brian

danemayer

If a Dometic RM1350, there is a solenoid that will automatically close the latch after 5 seconds and keep it closed. Yours may not be connected to power. See page 16 of the manual and the wiring diagrams at the end of the manual.

You can also use a piece of cardboard as a wedge to keep the latch from opening during travel.

gebills

Not certain which is worse; a refer door that falls open; or one that fails to open. We have the same problem as Westwind has mentioned. DW literally can not open the refer. I have to open the refer for her, or she doesn't get in. Our only problem while rolling down the road is the drawers beneath the refer rolling out. Simply haven't had the time to go to H/D to pick up a suitable cupboard latch. I've been contemplating getting new latches for the refer to see if this might ease the "stubborn to open" problem any. Birchwood, a new latch may be a good option for you as well.