Fridge Fans - Outside coils

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
I read a lot about putting a fan in position to blow across the coils (outside -rear) would help improve the cooling of the fridge. When I started to put one in my BH3600RL I found two 6 x 6 fans already there. These fans were were not running (the fridge was on) and were attached to a thermo switch, on the coils. I checked the fans and they are in working order. At what temp are they suppose to come on.:eek::confused:

2010augusta

I believe they turn on at 115 degrees. I had to bypass the thremo-switch with a rocker to keep them running 24/7 to cope with the 100+ weather here in Texas.

Northern Virginia
Alan, did you see a difference in the fridge performance after the mod? My fridge temp wont go below 40 if the outside temps are above 90.

2010augusta

Yes, by running the fans 24/7, we can keep the fridge between 33 and 39 degrees, oddly in the afternoon is when it is the coldest, but we are also working on the night shift, so we don't wake up till 5PM most days. I would say the the temp in the fridge averages about 36-37 degrees. It takes only a few minutes to bypass the switch and requires no permanent changes as long as you use the right spade connectors.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
I believe they turn on at 115 degrees. I had to bypass the thremo-switch with a rocker to keep them running 24/7 to cope with the 100+ weather here in Texas.
Many thanks Alan. i already have the spade connectors and this mod will be completed in less than an hour after we pick our BH up from storage on Tuesday. Travel safe

UPDATE - Installed the jumper with the switch mounted inside the cabinet next to the fridge. Spent Labor Day weekend in south Texas, outside temps in the high 90's and the fridge temp was 34deg - 36 deg. Thanks again Alan:);)

Last edited: