Fridge removal

tomsws6

Ok, we went on our first local trip in the Cyclone (4200)this last weekend. The problem was when I hooked the water up I started to hear something coming from the Fridge area. At first I thought it may have been the freezer working but after a short sec and I noticed that the carpet started to get wet. I ran outside and shut the water off. Apparently the water line busted behind the fridge. I unhooked the water line to the fridge underneath the slide and plugged it up using the valve already there. My question is has anyone ever removed the fridge. I could send it in to the dealer but I probably wouldnt get it back for another 6 months.

olcoon

Really need to know at least what type of fridge you have, 1 door, 2 doors, residential, and which camper you have would help also. As far as taking it into the dealer, if it's under 1 year old, it should still be under warranty, otherwise it'll be on your dime. The turnaround will really depend on the dealer, some of them do pretty good about getting the work done in a timely manner, but I wouldn't hold my breath! Possibly, a mobile RV tech would be the quickest, but it'd be more expensive than a dealer. He'll charge you travel time. If it's still under warranty, you could call Heartland (have your VIN handy) they've been known to approve mobile techs, but they won't pay for the travel charges.

wdk450

There are You Tube videos on removing and replacing RV fridges, many of them listed by Make/Model. Most times you need to build a support frame on the floor out of 2 X 4's to slide the heavy refrig out onto.

mlpeloquin

I would use 1/2" or 5/8" plywood. It would protect the floor and help spread the load and is what I have used to protect flooring in the past.. Trying to lift a residential fridge isn't easy.

tomsws6

Its a 4200 Cyclone with a residential 2 door fridge with the touch pad water/ice dispenser. Honestly I could really care less about the use of the water or ice out of the fridge as we really dont use it anyway but even though it was only for a few minutes I just want to get back there and clean the area up. Maybe because I just had my appendix removed, cant lift more than 15lbs ugh, I didnt really put a hole lot of effort in moving the fridge but it felt like it was latched down somehow.? We've already been told that since we didnt purchase the camper from our local dealer that we would be put to the back of the line.

danemayer

The refrigerator is probably anchored at the top and there may be paneling at the top that keeps you from seeing the anchor. These refrigerators are pretty heavy. If yours is sitting on the floor, not on a raised part of a slide, you could probably remove the anchors and roll it forward. But if it's raised and you have a 15lb limit, maybe take off any panel/kick plate at the bottom and blow some air into the area.

Btw, the valve under the slide may be a drain valve, not a water cutoff. The water cutoff valves are usually located in the kitchen and are connected to the cold water line that goes to the kitchen faucet. You might have another layout, but you should find where the kitchen cold water line enters the living area and look for the poly line and cutoff valve between that point and the faucet.

If you call Heartland and get prior approval for mobile service, that may be a better option. The travel time charge is often a good trade off when compared to the cost and trouble of towing the rig and dropping off at a dealer and picking it up later.