From Excited to Disappoint

adcruise

UPDATE: FINALLY off to pick up our BH from the dealer... over a month and they say the repairs will be done by the time I get there... been in the shop twice as long as we've owned it. Hope this is the end of shop time.

It is now Dec. 14th and we've not heard from either the dealer or Heartland (other than Jim & Kary asking for my VIN) and will be calling our bank if our BH is not ready and working by the end of this week. I called Customer Service this afternoon to ask where my parts might be, was transferred to Parts where a recording asked me to leave a message. Souring by the day, like month old milk.

We picked up our new 3585 on Oct. 29th with long anticipated excitement. Stopped 1/2 way home the first night, next morning the power cord reel wound up part way and shut down. Took it with a short list of other fixes (light doesn't work, bedroom slide won't pull all the way out, self leveling doesn't work) to my nearest dealer on Nov. 15th with understanding it would be ready before Thanksgiving as we had need for it. Sadly, it is now Dec. 9th and we still don't know when we'll have our "new" Bighorn back. Power reel is still in transit so I'm told. Very disappointed that Heartland would take so long to get us a new reel. We understand there was the time off over Thanksgiving, but is this what we can expect for service from here on? Dealer tells us the front light near pin box is wired, but has no power so they're going to have to run a new wire. Been in the shop longer than in my garage. Don't like having my new BH torn apart because of poor quality control. I'd never settle for this type of workmanship in a new car, it would be returned as a lemon.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your problems. You said that you took it to your nearest dealer. Is that your selling dealer? Running a wire for the light near the pinbox should be about a 15 minute fix. The slide adjustment should be an easy fix as well. I just made an adjustment on mine. Spent about a half hour out there. Cord reel, I cant say why you do not have a new one by now. I would call Heartland Customer Service and check on the order myself. What is the problem with the self leveling? There are a few on this forum that know a few things about that system. If this is not your selling dealer, he may be pushing your rig aside to service his customers.
As far as what kind of service you can expect, you will have to ask your dealer.
Let us know how it all plays out.

Peace
Dave

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I am sorry for your situation...like I have told others, no one likes to pay big bucks for a product that does not live up to your expectations. Experience tells me that your issues will be resolved and you will have the Big Horn you anticipated. I know those words don't help but hang in there! It seems everyones rig has bugs the first year. Currently I have a torn slide seal that will need to be replaced.

On a side note...I see you are from Washington State. I am curious as to your selling dealer! I know that there are not many Heartland dealers here yet! If you don't mind sharing, PM me with the name of the dealer.

Best Wishes!

Crumgater

Being another Washingtonian on the west side, I can guess who the dealer was...

We saw the poor reviews of their service center after we fell in love with the Elk Ridge, so decided to jump in anyway. We've only had a few items that needed attending to and our sales person was our best advocate. The service center contact was also very responsive on email (PM me if you'd like her address)... but we still don't have our replacement items either (mostly because we haven't found time to go visit the dealer, which is more than an hour drive south of us - more with traffic).

So far for us, everything in the Elk Ridge itself has passed our quality tests (knock on wood). We've only had it since September, and only overnighted once, but have had 5 day trips (tailgates) that have all gone very well.

We wanted to head your direction to 'camp' for Thanksgiving at Port Angeles, but the snow that week put a bit of a kink in our plans. Thus the profile picture of our rig sitting in front of the house instead of an RV park...

Good luck with the fixes!

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I know a good dealer is a valuable addition to any manufacturer, I referred to that in a previous post that QC at too many RV factories has all but vanished. Everything is installed, but it is not verified for fit, correctness, form, operation or even blemishes. I am lucky to have a GREAT dealer in the Stone Mountain, GA., area, so to me Heartland is a high quality product. But I have expressed concern lately over the lack of quality in other ways I have seen perusing a fiver in an upgrade from my current model. (NOT just Heartland!)

This "Great" dealer can only do so much then let the warranty department worry about it! They have even expressed this to me stating that in the past it was a part of the business and what they signed-up for, but recently it has become so much worse. (Again: NOT JUST HEARTLAND) Even in repairing one thing another rears its head or is caused by the repair! (In the case of "minimal" equipment or poor material standards.)

I'm just sayin!

Last edited:

jbeletti

David,

Please post the last 6 digits of your VIN and a contact phone number so the factory can dig into this for you.

Jim

K

karykatz

adcruise,

Disappointed to hear you are having a couple of issues. Can you please let me know the last 6 numbers of your vin so I can check on power cord reel. I know when we get these issues resolved, you will love your coach.

adcruise

David,

Please post the last 6 digits of your VIN and a contact phone number so the factory can dig into this for you.

Jim

Last 6 are 229355. I called the dealer again earlier this week and was told they were still waiting for the power cord reel. Asked him to call Heartland to find out the status. Called the dealer back later that day and was told "it is in transit." Asked if that meant UPS or FedEx, which are fairly quick in delivery. I was told "I don't know, but I can tell you I've never received any parts from Heartland via UPS or FedEx, they always ship by freight." Proceeded to give an example of needing two ceiling fan globes that had been broken in transit, a freight truck pulled up and unloaded two small boxes with the globes. Shipping that was is very slow, shocked that Heartland would opt for such slow delivery of small parts... providing what he was telling me was true, and so far he's not shown any reason to question his honesty. I personally have called Heartland Customer Service 3 times. First time was told everyone was at a show and to "call back next week". Next call I left a message. 3rd call I asked to speak to a live person, and she was very helpful. Told me the reel was on order from the supplier and would be shipped immediately upon receipt. That was 10 to 14 days ago. We have reservations at 7 different parks for our Winter getaway, departing 1/2/11 and have yet to have the coach long enough to do any prep work, it's still fresh from dealer.

adcruise

adcruise,

Disappointed to hear you are having a couple of issues. Can you please let me know the last 6 numbers of your vin so I can check on power cord reel. I know when we get these issues resolved, you will love your coach.

Thanks Kary, and I hope you're right. See my reply to Jim for VIN.

olyfire

Sorry to hear your problems. We to had quite a few problems this spring with our North Trail. Our slide had to be rebuilt along with an electrical problem and a water leak plus a few smaller things. Our dealer would do nothing so we contacted a dealer, Tacoma RV, who we had dealt with in the past. Although they are not a Heartland dealer they took over all warranty work and between Heartland customer service and Tacoma RV's service staff we got our unit back within a month. Tacoma RV continued to contact us with updates throughout the process.
One of the biggest problems we found is that often times parts come from the manufacturer not Heartland. On the other hand Heartland customer service is a great go between to the manufacturer for you or your dealer.
Best of luck.