Front A/C not Working

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
A few thoughts please. Our front AC unit (Dometic Penguin II) stopped working yesterday. First symptom was tripped circuit breaker. Reset breaker and unit restarted and ran for a couple of hours. Unit stopped and was emitting just a low hum ( did not trip breaker). Would not restart. I have not been up to look at it yet. Suggestions on what to look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

On my last rig the starting capacitor blew....literally. It shorted out and the can ruptured. So it was easy to spot. Don’t know enough to really connect the dots for you but get up on the roof and open the hood.

Probably different sizes but round and off by themselves. I say themselves because my bedroom unit just died and it had two capacitors.

If if you have a newer multimeter you can find the procedure on line to check these capacitors.

In in my case mine were good so I am waiting for a new unit from PPL motor homes in TX

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Sounds like the compressor is coming on, but nothing from the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

As mentioned above my (give or take) 4 year year old unit had 2 capacitors.....maybe one for the compressor and one for the fan.....not sure.