Front Cap Fading

tporter

I have a 2011 Greystone....my cap has really faded....they offered me $800.00 also...I'm not settling for that...estimated to fix it was at $3000.00....Heartland has changed the the system for 2012....they are painted instead of Gel...I think I will put some vinyl lettering on it explaining to people what the cost is to repair it and what Heartland will pay....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Three grand sounds like way too much.
I know someone with a Big country that had the front cap painted and it was far less than that.
And I think Heartland furnished the front graphics.
Oh, welcome to the forum.

Peace
Dave

tporter

I'm having the same problem with my 2011 Greystone....they told me they are painting the 2012 instead of using the Gel Coat....
Heartland offered me $800......the estimate is $3000.00....probably my last Heartland....

jbeletti

Re: Frount Cap Fading

tporter,

I suggest you work with Heartland and ask for their assistance in finding someone in your area that could do the repair. Another idea, if you're willing to travel one state east is to ask Heartland if there's a local Elkhart dealer or service center than can do the job.

I've heard from more than one person that has got this done for half or less than your estimate. That said, I heard a story from one person whose quote was $3k to paint and $2k to add the decals. That's crazy.

I feel for you and am not making light of your situation. Keep working with Heartland on this.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
If you are out of warranty don't expect anything more than the $800...at least that is what was offered us and ultimately settled at. No one will touch the repair (paint) around here for less than $2000. I am thinking about having decals or some type of gray vinyl film appled on top down about 24 inches or so since this is where the majority of the damage is. Hopefully the front face will not fade as bad. I do think Heartland will also send new graphics if you paint the entire cap!

Vtxkid

Ksmith555, I am under the impression that the 2012's are painted unless maybe you have an early 2012. Call Heartland to find out and have your vin number ready. Send me a pm if you find that its not painted and need it repaired.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

GOTTOYS

The gray caps are gel-coat, the newer tan or brown is painted. Look around for a shop that paints big trucks and equipment. Most of them have a large paint booth that will work. The actual area to be painted is only about 8 X 9. There will be plenty of shops that will do this for WAY less than $2,000.00. Just have to do some shopping...Don

Harold_ON

The front cap on my 2011 BC is also
fading. I assumed it was oxidation. I just spent most of the
morning rubbing it with Oxidation Remover and covering it with a UV
wax. Looks ok so far. See what it looks like in a few days. It’s
interesting Heartland will pay $800 for this problem. Maybe I should
contact them. Who do you call in the company? It isn’t very good
advertising for Heartland when a potential buyers see this
discolouring. This is our first Heartland and the first time having
this problem.

GOTTOYS

I can't imagine there is a trailer out there with a grey gel-coated front cap that hasn't or isn't going to fade, some have faded on top of the rear cap too. The only long lasting cure is to paint it, or keep it out of the Sun...Don

Last edited:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I can't imagine there is a trailer out there with a grey gel-coated front cap that hasn't or isn't going to fade, some have faded on top of the rear cap too. The only long lasting cure is to paint it, or keep it out of the Sun...don

Might be so but I wish I would have been aware of that prior to spending all my money on a gray rig!

JIM-GERI

Might be so but I wish I would have been aware of that prior to spending all my money on a gray rig!

Hi Guys, Had the same problem with my 2011 Big Country 3450 TS tried everything would clear up but right back to the fad after a while, So we called Heartland and of course they took good care of us. And Just wanted to say how Great Heartland handle this problem for me. So I want to the give alot of THANKS to Jamie Justis at Heartland and my Heartland Family for helping me with this. Thanks Jim "JC" Reyes
:)

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Jamie at Heartland also took GREAT care of us! Both front and rear caps were painted last week for $2300, our HL settlement. Heartland also supplied new decals. If you have issues with your fading caps, call customer service, Heartland proved to me that they do care.

Also, when you tell a qualified body shop what you have to spend, (the settlement amount) it is amazing how "flexible" they become.

JonV

Erik took care of things with us. Almost too easy. I'm still deciding who to get to do the paint.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a friend that had his Teton repainted. It cost $20,000 to paint his MDT, Trailer and Jeep all the same.

FWIW
BC

Walkerstv

Had to repaint the faded front cap on my 2011 cyclone HD. The repair was $2600 and I chipped in an extra $150 out of pocket to have it done in color matched grey automotive paint with a clear coat to keep it looking good. It was painted outside because it was too large to fit into a paint booth which made me nervous but it really looks great. Even out of warranty Heartland chipped in including new decals and my 7 year exterior protection warranty covered the rest. I know not many people think aftermarket warranties are worth much but it certainly paid for itself in this case. I once owned a Chevy van where the paint CRACKED AND PEELED OFF 7 days out of warranty and GM wouldn't pay a dime. At nearly a year out of warranty I can't imagine how Heartland could be expected to do much more than they offered.

I for one was grateful for the help we were given and hopefully the new paint will hold up for many years to come because I just can't wait to get on the road again! (Hey, that should be a song!) :cool:

All of these posts seem to concentrate on the looks of the caps, but is there any harm to not repainting/treating/covering/etc? I don't like the look either, but if it will cost several thousands, I can live with it if the trailer can.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I took and refinished my trailer with ZEP which was discussed in a previous thread.

I think it looks great. Only cost me about $60. Took two days for me and my SIL. Did this in Dec last year and it is hold up very well so far. Bugs and dirt comes off easily. Black streaks are a bit harder..

BC