front jacks

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I agree...there needs to a limit switch on the upper and lower most travel points. Too bad your fuse didnt blow first like ours did on the first trip out. (hand cranking in 100+ degree sun with the whole RV park watching) Painting upper and lower limit lines/ marks as worked for us but i still cross my fingers everytime the jacks are in use.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I just got to thinking the other day about the landing gear problem with the fuses..

About the end of 2008 I had my Bighorn 3400RE at the dealer. They had done some work on it and we had to stay in a motel. When they were finished they told me to hook up and get on the road. It was in their front bay. I backed up to the trailer and it was high enough that I could get right up to the pin box. I hooked up and started to raise the landing gear. I was holding the button and watching legs go up. Had a long way to go. It had not set down on my truck much at all. Then all of a sudden I heard two loud POP's. Couldn't figure what the problem was. Two guys came out to see what the problem was and as I looked around, the pins that were in the legs had bent down and broke off. The legs were still on the ground. I had lowered it far enough that the pin housing had contacted the frame and broke the whole part on the legs.

They looked at the legs had me disconnect and pull out. Took a forklift and raised the trailer so the landing gears were off the ground. Pulled the old pens out and replaced them. Slid the legs up into the landing gear, lowered it to the ground. I backed under the pin box and connected back up with no problem.

Why didn't my landing gear blow a fuse? Now that I mention it I will probably blow a fuse on Friday.

Just a thought.

BC

Last edited:
Just brought my 2011 3200RE home first thing, blowed fuse on front legs, Are amp/torque swtiches not used anymore?? I hope this not a trend with the rest of the unit.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Just brought my 2011 3200RE home first thing, blowed fuse on front legs, Are amp/torque swtiches not used anymore?? I hope this not a trend with the rest of the unit.

Leave you unit connected to the truck and get those landing gear posts painted with high and low limit stripes.

Attachments

• SDleg.JPG
    SDleg.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 42

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
first time out in my ER 34QSRL I also had my front jacks fail. Fortunately it is being fixed under warranty. As stated previously and as i have, on this forum before, a simple limit switch or as my 1994 Damon unit i sold to buy the current unit, a clutch that wouldn't allow it to go too far in either direction. After reading this forum for several months I can't believe how many jack problems. Obviously a design error that needs correcting. Heartland should go to lippert and demand changes to what is a poorly designed system. You should not have to try and push a switch and bend over an try to look at your jacks at the same time. Maybe if i stand on my head and push the switch with my toes I can keep a good eye on it

jwb187

This coming Monday I have an appointment to get my landing gear worked on......I was enroute to Yellowstone a couple of weeks ago and my jacks quit me in Nebraska....was unable to raise to get on truck...found out that a peg had broken off the foot of the electric motor and motor was flopping around not making any traction with landing gear post. Bought new foot, unit worked fine for one day then same thing happened again, like something is binding up inside legs and causing motor to strain and overheat. Finally made it to Yellowstone, had problem getting trailer up to get on truck day we left but finally got it up enough....drove home and never unhooked it. From reading these posts I may have overextended gear at some time and broken a shear pin that is hanging up inside post....anyway I agree with prior posters that there should have been some type of instruction as to how far to raise the jacks.....counting the money spent on vacation on the jacks and what I probably will spend at the dealer....sounds like at least a thousand will be spent correcting problem. jwb.

noobee

This coming Monday I have an appointment to get my landing gear worked on......I was enroute to Yellowstone a couple of weeks ago and my jacks quit me in Nebraska....was unable to raise to get on truck...found out that a peg had broken off the foot of the electric motor and motor was flopping around not making any traction with landing gear post. Bought new foot, unit worked fine for one day then same thing happened again, like something is binding up inside legs and causing motor to strain and overheat. Finally made it to Yellowstone, had problem getting trailer up to get on truck day we left but finally got it up enough....drove home and never unhooked it. From reading these posts I may have overextended gear at some time and broken a shear pin that is hanging up inside post....anyway I agree with prior posters that there should have been some type of instruction as to how far to raise the jacks.....counting the money spent on vacation on the jacks and what I probably will spend at the dealer....sounds like at least a thousand will be spent correcting problem. jwb.

I replaced my lift system with the 5th-Wheel Electric Landing Gear system from Ultra-Fab: http://www.ultra-fab.com/fw.cfm. Installed cost was just a little over a grand.... well worth the money on this instead of constantly have to replace motors & gear boxes.

CS